Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th January 2015, 16:27   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Easiest to find are Ebay and Amazon , not the Indian counterparts but the .com ones. Mighty expensive at $30 each though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-Silver...-/370932697122
http://www.amazon.com/Osram-64185SVS.../dp/B007UZFXLO
Thanks. The ebay seller claims to be selling a "Made in Germany" piece. Unfortunately the $45 shipping charge makes this a "no go".

Last month I had come across some German sites selling at much lower price if I purchase 2-3 bulbs. Now, I cannot find the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
Is this what youre looking for?I was actually looking out for Osram night racer bulbs and came across the website

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/osram-h...2v35-35w-px43t
The one from Vicky.in is surely a "made in China" piece.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 21:00   #257
BHPian

I upgraded my Classic 350's headlamps to Philips XV today. There is definitely improvement over stock. High beam has improved significantly.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 20:02   #258
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used something like this - http://www.flipkart.com/btwin-lumz-1...TDNZE36SHUZ6J2

as their sole lighting needs? It says on the package its good for lighting upto 35 metres. Thats pretty good IMO

While on the subject, whats the specified standard for lighting distance on a motorcycle? In Australia, its 25 metres for a low beam on a motorcycle

What challenges do you foresee besides:

- Need to change batteries. Added expense
- No "dipper" function available
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 20:28   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
as their sole lighting needs? It says on the package its good for lighting upto 35 metres
My request - Pls think again; its just 10W thrown up to 30 feet which will provide hardly any visibility; when it comes to motorcycle & LED, trust nothing other than CREE; they cost a bomb, but worth it.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 20:30   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Has anyone used something like this - http://www.flipkart.com/btwin-lumz-1...TDNZE36SHUZ6J2

as their sole lighting needs? It says on the package its good for lighting upto 35 metres. Thats pretty good IMO

While on the subject, whats the specified standard for lighting distance on a motorcycle? In Australia, its 25 metres for a low beam on a motorcycle

What challenges do you foresee besides:

- Need to change batteries. Added expense
- No "dipper" function available
We cyclists use such lights all the time. Most in this range aren't THAT bright esp for a fast bike (read triple digit speeds).

I have MJ808E which is quite nice (but again narrower than i'd prefer for a bike) at a claimed 1000 lumens. Unless you get that kind of a light, don't even dream of replacing your bike HL with this stuff!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 10:36   #261
BHPian

Hi everyone! I am using a suzuki GS 150 and I am finding the headlight to be very weak for highways. Please suggest what can be done to improve the situation.

Thanks!
ankan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 13:43   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
Hi everyone! I am using a suzuki GS 150 and I am finding the headlight to be very weak for highways. Please suggest what can be done to improve the situation.

Thanks!
Connect the headlight direct to Battery, and use HID 35W 4300k. I used it for 4 years. GS150R has a wonderful HID throw, and in 2.5k, this will be the best upgrade you can do to your bike. Go for it!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 21:10   #263
BHPian

@Ani_meher
Are you talking about this? http://www.ebay.in/itm/252008035397?aff_source=Sok-Goog

Will definately try for this setup.Thanks!
ankan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 22:14   #264
BHPian

Can Philips X-treme Vision Plus (130%) car headlight bulb be fitted on a bike?

The model i'm talking about is: Philips 12342XVPB1 H4 12V 60/55W

I own a Duke 200 and intend to upgrade the bulb for highways.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 09:37   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post

Yes, the bulb can be used on the Duke and it will be a direct fit as the bike already comes equipped with a 60/55w bulb. It will be a simple swap.
vishal.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 16:15   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post

It will be a direct fit. I am using the Xtreme Vision on my Hero Honda Hunk. The visibility is eons better than the stock 35/35W. That said, might I suggest trying the Osram Nightbreaker series? The Xtreme Vision series is good, but it fails miserably in the rains and the oncoming traffic is on high beam. The nightbreakers are supposedly really, really good.

Give it a look, if you please.

EDIT: Apparently the blue coating on the Night Breaker apparently makes things worse in the rain. :(

Anyone has any ideas to improve headlight effectiveness in the rain?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 20th October 2015 at 16:30.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 17:08   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

I thought of mounting a pair of LED projectors on the crash guard like auxiliary lights . This might improve the effectiveness . But I am not sure if we can get a reliable pair. Can we use it with the current electrical setup or do we have to get a DC conversion for bikes like CBZ and Hunk ?
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 18:01   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I thought of mounting a pair of LED projectors on the crash guard like auxiliary lights . This might improve the effectiveness . But I am not sure if we can get a reliable pair. Can we use it with the current electrical setup or do we have to get a DC conversion for bikes like CBZ and Hunk ?
I have a pair of Hella 550 on my ZMA mounted on the crash guard and use a 35w 4300k HID in them. During the rains they are the best. I have wired them in a manner like Stage 1 - Left aux lamp & Stage 2 - Both On. I use Stage 1 and its pretty handy. I have tried using the led lamps, but they have not provided me with satisfactory range(light throw).

The current power setup on CBZ & Hunk is only useful to light up a 35/35w bulb, hence to power up a high wattage bulb you will need more power which a DC conversion can give and this will also ensure your battery is in a perfectly charged state.
vishal.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:06   #269
BHPian

Guys. I own a Unicorn Dazzler. Its a fairly uncommon bike and like most riders out there, I feel the headlights are just not upto the mark. They seemed adequate during the initial days but now with Projectors and HIDs coming in, I feel my bike has candles for headlight.

The stock bulb is a 35W unit. I want to know whether Ic an replace these with a 60/55W unit from a car. I recently upgraded the stock headlamps on my i20 and I have the old ones (60/55w) bulbs lying unused. Can i directly retrofit these into my bike.

My concerns are 2 fold.

1) My bike doesnt come with a kick start. I want to know whether upgrading from a 35W unit to a 60/55W unit will add more load to the battery and the electrical wiring. Do I need to install relays and ceramic holders etc?
2) Will this result in blackening of the reflectors. I know headlight upgrade in cars run a risk of blackened reflectors. Is it the same for bikes as well.

Request BHP-ians to pitch in with your comments/suggestions.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 05:31   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Guys. I own a Unicorn Dazzler.

I want to know whether Ic an replace these with a 60/55W unit from a car.

1) I want to know whether upgrading from a 35W unit to a 60/55W unit will add more load to the battery and the electrical wiring. Do I need to install relays and ceramic holders etc?
2) Will this result in blackening of the reflectors.
Hi, I also own a dazzler and have tried replacing the 35/35w with a 55/60w bulb and well it does not work.

Dazzler has a part AC/ part DC electrical system. The headlight, tail light and number plate light work on AC whereas console, indicators, brake light and starter motor work on DC.

The RR unit (regulator/rectifier unit) of dazzler just does not send enough juice to headlight socket to power a 55/60w bulb. Your bulb will flicker just as it does for 35/35w and even at 6000 rpms the brightness will never exceed your current bulb. (However, note that if your press the flash button then you will notice the bulb shining at peak brightness because flash button is wired directly to the battery.)

So to answer your questions - no replacing with 55/60w bulb will not affect your battery because the current comes from alternator via RR unit, doesn't affect battery at all. Will it affect wiring? No because even though the bulb has potential to draw more current, it can only draw what it is getting from RR unit, which is not enough to fry wiring. Will it affect reflector? No because the 55/60w bulb never gets hot enough because it never gets enough current to shine at peak capacity.

Solution to your problem is to rewire the RR unit and convert the bike to a FULL DC setup. I don't exactly know how this is done so you will have to research elsewhere.

What I have done is replaced my stock bulb with Osram Silverstar 35/35w HS1 and am perfectly happy with it. I bought the bulb couple of years back for Rs.125 and may be you can also try that out.
drivebyfire is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote