Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd May 2010, 15:10   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If you're retaining the small OE headlamp dome, you can use a Swaraj Mazda P43T headlamp unit in it. It will fit nice and neat and has a good beam pattern.

I would suggest DCM Toyota doom manufacturer Lumax, they are good in the sense, it comes with the parking light provision just like the Yamaha OE doom.

The reflector is good that you will be pleased by the light focus.

1. Buy DCM toyota doom - Rs.120
2. H4 bulb - Rs 70-80
3. H4 bulb holder - Rs 50 (approx)
4. Labour - Rs. 30

What I have on my bike....

customized 90/100 lighting kit
DCM Toyota doom
Philips 60/55w Halogen

Out put: Good low beam throws decent spread. High beam lits up the road. I find it much much better lighting than what I had before.

This is tried and tested.
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:14   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I have finally upgraded to 65/55 today. Had been to the service center to put it directly on battery but today being the Valentine's day, all the romeos had given their bikes for servicing and repairs for the big evening. didn't have the patience to wait for my number to come :(

Edit: I was looking for Philips or Bosch, but got Halonix. okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Finally changed it to run on DC rather than AC. So far I am happy with the result. Will test it thoroughly tomorrow during my highway run.
With reference to the above, I even changed the battery as well but now I am having starting problem. I have to kick start my bike every now and then and even the horn is not working when the light is on. What could be the problem?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 14:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

I have finally shifted back to where I was. Stock headlamp with stock wiring.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:50   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap007 View Post
Nice to see people thinking of upgrading their headlights.

Do not change your battery to a higher Ah, the alternator is not powerful enough to charge it.
It doesnt matter if a bike's headlight is powered directly by the alternator and not by the battery it can be easily converted, but the battery in this case is not powerful enough.
When you switch over to anything more than stock wattage you are effectively putting a huge strain on the entire wiring system.
Your switches were not designed to handle this kind of voltage.
What you need is two 10amp relays in series with wire of a higher gauge bypassing the thinner switch wiring to decrease the voltage in the circuit formed with the switch.

Pratap
Can any one please confirm if I can add these relays in a stock setup of 5 Amp battery running 35W bulb to fit in a 60W bulb?
thegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Can any one please confirm if I can add these relays in a stock setup of 5 Amp battery running 35W bulb to fit in a 60W bulb?
5AH battery to drive 60W bulb? Whats your ride?

Anything beyond the stock rating will need a relay for the saftey but it will with stand the excess power for short rides even without relays.

There are guys upgraded to 55/60W on FZs without any relays and doing touring too. But its better to have a relay for these bulbs for the sake of peace of mind as well as safety.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
5AH battery to drive 60W bulb? Whats your ride?

Anything beyond the stock rating will need a relay for the saftey but it will with stand the excess power for short rides even without relays.

There are guys upgraded to 55/60W on FZs without any relays and doing touring too. But its better to have a relay for these bulbs for the sake of peace of mind as well as safety.
I have a 2004 Thunderbird. I have 1 hour usage in the night and 1 hour in the day, within the city.

Is there any specification for the relay I should be looking at. What would be the cost?
Old 24th November 2010, 13:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2004 Thunderbird. I have 1 hour usage in the night and 1 hour in the day, within the city.

Is there any specification for the relay I should be looking at. What would be the cost?
So your ride is having an AC lighting system. For driving a 55/60W from the battery you may need to change the RR+Coils. There's another scope for rewinding the alternator coil and power the bulb from AC itself which is more economical too. So that your battery wont be affected by the excess strain from the 60W.

You can use any automotive SPST/SPDT relays for this as most of these have a capacity of 20A which is more than enough for this. If you use SPST, 2 relays are required but in case of SPDT, only one relay is required. Cost will be starting from 50/ onwards depends on brands.

Here's a SPST relay from Hella: This is SPDT relay
Name:  hel87106.jpg
Views: 6735
Size:  12.7 KB Name:  SPDT Relay2.jpg
Views: 8311
Size:  11.0 KB
Old 24th November 2010, 16:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
So your ride is having an AC lighting system. For driving a 55/60W from the battery you may need to change the RR+Coils. There's another scope for rewinding the alternator coil and power the bulb from AC itself which is more economical too. So that your battery wont be affected by the excess strain from the 60W.

[/ATTACH]
Thank you Sajjt for your help. RR stands for Rectifier/Regulator right?

What RR and Coil would be a direct fit for old model TB?

If I have to rewind the alternator coil, where can I get that done in chennai?
Old 24th November 2010, 17:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sajjt for your help. RR stands for Rectifier/Regulator right?

What RR and Coil would be a direct fit for old model TB?

If I have to rewind the alternator coil, where can I get that done in chennai?
Yes, RR means Regulator Rectifier Unit.

No big deal at all. Any auto electrical shop can guide you in this, ask them that you want to convert it to DC lighting.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:09   #115
BHPian

Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Clean your headlight lens and watch your stock headlight get an extra 20% brightness.
Use brisk or colin for a clean shine and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Do this once every 100 kms on a long ride.
You will be amazed at the amount of dirt stuck on it.

it is even better than i thought.
supremoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 01:21   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshg View Post
I own a Honda Activa. Its the old one, so it doesn't come with halogen headlamps. I'd like to fit a higher wattage bulb. How can I do this?
Will this require me to modify the wiring?

Thanks
Regards,
Vignesh
Hi Vignesh, Any success on the upgrade. I did not see anyone posting back on this for Activa upgrade.

Can some one tell whether the halogen bulb would work for activa
RMU417 RING 12v 35/35w BA20D Halogen Headlamp (Upgrades 395 Std Bulb)

Last edited by Tommie : 5th April 2011 at 01:27. Reason: Some crazy HTML tag was present in the post
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 09:26   #117
BHPian

^ its a direct fit. But true to the product detail from the page you linked which says '10-20 mtr longer range' its going throw brighter, longer & higher to be well beyond the limited adjustable range of Activa's h/l beam. Had one from bosch on a '06 activa, got focus issues its back to stock now.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 16:39   #118
BHPian

I recently upgraded by headlamp bulb from the stock Osram 35w/35w on my 2010 TBTS, below are my observations:

1) first i tried the Halonix H4 60/55 W (Cost Rs. 100):
- i liked the output the beam spread was good
- I thought the beam penetration could have been better

after this...

2) Just out of curiosity i bought the philips Extreme power 60/55 W (Cost Rs. 950 for 2):
- i found the beam spread was not to my liking as it was a focused beam and it illuminated a small area of the road very brightly which i thought did not suit me
- the high beam was blinding for the on coming traffic which is also not desirable according to me
- After 3-4 days of usage i found that i had started draining my battery quickly and i observed some erratic behavior with the functioning of my rhs indicator. Was the high performance bulb the cause to this? I am really not sure. the Rhs (only rhs ) indicator frequency of flickering became too quick. This might also have caused the battery to drain. One more thing i observed is the tachometer needle would drop to ~ 300- 500 rpm once i switched the rhs indicator even though i could not hear a drop in the rpm.

Due to these 2 reasons i switched back to the first bulb i.e. Halonix H4 60/55 W. And all the weird behaviors related to the tacho and the rhs indicator subsided.

I am really not sure what would have happened. Does anybody know what could have been the reason??

Note: i did not install any relays in both the cases.

Also 1 of the mechanics told me that if i install a cut out (=relay?) the intensity of the beam would further be increased in case of the philps extreme power bulb. Could any body throw some light on this?

Last edited by Shashidl : 14th October 2011 at 16:55.
Shashidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 19:28   #119
BHPian

Smile philips Extreme power !!!

^ Philips might be drawing more current. Measure Amp's drawn by both bulbs to know for sure. Agree with you on philips beam pattern but this varies with h/l assy & i've felt like it runs hotter. Wiring up with a relay effects a straight dedicated supply to bulb & hence better output.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 16:02   #120
BHPian

Thumbs up Upgrading OEM bulb on my CBR250 with Philips Xtreme Visions

Picked up a pair of Philips X-treme Power H4 60/55w... shall install it and share my thoughts here...

Attached Images

vikash49 is offline   Reply With Quote