Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th October 2012, 11:53   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

I just done an upgrade for the karizma's headlight i have used a 60/55w osram germany bulb and the wiring cutout harness of mico that we use in cars. The cut out comes with two bulb holders so one is fitted to the head lamp abd the other powers the fogs only on low beam. Just fitted this setup yesterday have to see how it wrks on the long run. Seems to be running ok for the time beaing the power of the bulb is also good. Also have fitted a charging point for my mobile this too is working fine.
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:13   #122
BHPian

I have a Pulsar 180 UG4 (Sept 2009). Wanted to upgrade the headlight. Read a couple of other forums that this is not possible on UG4 with a stator upgrade as this version comes with Full DC electricals. Any other way to upgrade to 60W headlamps?.
My bike is still in stock condition apart from tyre upgrades (Pirelli SportDemons ). Didn't want to go through any slicing of wires or coil rewinding as reliability is the top priority. My bike hasn't left me stranded anywhere in the past 3 years (touch-wood) hope to keep it that way.

The following are the specs as per the manual:

Battery - 12V 9 Ah
Headlight - 35/35
Pilot - 5Wx2
turn indicator - 10W
rear number plate light- 5 W

Tail light is an LED array, did not have any specifications.

Last edited by knaveen : 19th December 2012 at 14:16.
knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I have a Pulsar 180 UG4 (Sept 2009). Wanted to upgrade the headlight. Read a couple of other forums that this is not possible on UG4 with a stator upgrade as this version comes with Full DC electricals. Any other way to upgrade to 60W headlamps?.
My bike is still in stock condition apart from tyre upgrades (Pirelli SportDemons ). Didn't want to go through any slicing of wires or coil rewinding as reliability is the top priority. My bike hasn't left me stranded anywhere in the past 3 years (touch-wood) hope to keep it that way.

The following are the specs as per the manual:

Battery - 12V 9 Ah
Headlight - 35/35
Pilot - 5Wx2
turn indicator - 10W
rear number plate light- 5 W

Tail light is an LED array, did not have any specifications.
Since yours is a UG4 you can straight away upgrade to 60/55W bulb.Just plug and play.No need to upgrade stator or anything since the bulb draws the power directly from the battery and not from the alternator.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 15:36   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since yours is a UG4 you can straight away upgrade to 60/55W bulb.Just plug and play.No need to upgrade stator or anything since the bulb draws the power directly from the battery and not from the alternator.
should i upgrade anything like regulator or battery?
knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 15:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post

should i upgrade anything like regulator or battery?
Nothing. Just put a brighter bulb. Plug and play
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 16:01   #126
BHPian

I have a Suzuki Fiero 2001 model. I would like to upgrade its headlight. I believe, the bike takes in the 6v battery, if yes, would like to change that to 12v.

What are the suggestions for upgrading the electrical system and head light? Can I fix a projector? I have a P220F projector lying with its OE bulb.

A trusted place to go to in Bangalore would be very helpful.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 13:38   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I have a Suzuki Fiero 2001 model. I would like to upgrade its headlight. I believe, the bike takes in the 6v battery, if yes, would like to change that to 12v.

What are the suggestions for upgrading the electrical system and head light? Can I fix a projector? I have a P220F projector lying with its OE bulb.

A trusted place to go to in Bangalore would be very helpful.

MaSh
Contact Ruby Electricals in Blr. They can give a better solution by rewinding the stator coil.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 13:48   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Contact Ruby Electricals in Blr. They can give a better solution by rewinding the stator coil.
Is this the one?

Ruby General Electricals & Trading Co View Map
No.k-172, Krumbigal Road, Lalbagh Road, Bangalore - 560027
Phone: +(91)-9845569743 | 26578828

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 21:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the one?
Yes that is the one.

Cheers,
G D

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st December 2012 at 21:36. Reason: quoted text edited
P180V1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 22:48   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the one?

Ruby General Electricals & Trading Co View Map
No.k-172, Krumbigal Road, Lalbagh Road, Bangalore - 560027
Phone: +(91)-9845569743 | 26578828

MaSh

Good place actually, can personally vouch for it.

I had got my bike converted to DC from here around 4 months ago. No issues whatsoever. Very transparent in his work and very friendly.

His name is Kennedy if I remember correctly.

The directions are a bit tricky, so I'll guide you:
Once you get onto Lalbagh Main Gate, you'll find 3 roads that lead towards Double Road, Basavanagudi and Minerva Circle.
Take the road that goes towards Minerva Circle(Called Lalbagh Fort Road) and stay towards your right. Around 25m-40m after you enter the road, you'll find Ruby Electricals on your right.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 20th December 2012 at 22:59.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 21:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

I plonked in the Philips Xtreme Vision bulb (stock rating) in my bike's headlamp unit and i would suggest going for this bulb. The brightness is significantly better than the stock bulb and it won't fry your headlamp's internals too.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 22:46   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I plonked in the Philips Xtreme Vision bulb (stock rating) in my bike's headlamp unit and i would suggest going for this bulb. The brightness is significantly better than the stock bulb and it won't fry your headlamp's internals too.
I suggest this bulb too. It cost me Rs.500, but I believe it's worth the money. Of course for a person who moved from 35/35 AC lighting to 55/60W DC lighting, it will be a significant jump. But have found it to be brighter than both of the R15 bulbs on high beam.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 23:13   #133

In my Pulsar 150 Dtsi (UG1), I upgraded to avenger 180 coil (DV111005) and used TVS 55/60 H4 bulb.nothing else was upgraded. Worked fine for a month on short rides. Yesterday, on driving continuously for about an hour on low and high beam, there was a burnt smell and my headlamp was not working. but park lamps were. On opening up, found that the bulb holder was burnt and melted. What to do now ?
zeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:48   #134
BHPian

I have a Xenon HID conversion kit (H4/H 6000K) fitted in my CBZ Xtreme. It has a seperate fuse and is connected as DC. Have been using it for almost 1.5 years and have not faced any issues so far. But anxious to know if I can continue to use it? Though the performance is amazing.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 17:00   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeri View Post
In my Pulsar 150 Dtsi (UG1), I upgraded to avenger 180 coil (DV111005) and used TVS 55/60 H4 bulb.nothing else was upgraded. Worked fine for a month on short rides. Yesterday, on driving continuously for about an hour on low and high beam, there was a burnt smell and my headlamp was not working. but park lamps were. On opening up, found that the bulb holder was burnt and melted. What to do now ?

You have to replace the bulb holder with a good quality (H4 P43t) from an accessory shop, no need of ceramic holder. Also, get rid of the TVS bulb, it must be heating a lot, try to get something from Philips or Osram or even Bosch generic type which will set you back by less than 100. Been with Philips 55/60W on my Pulsar for more than 3 years and there was no trace of over heating on the holder or the reflector. But once I started using the 100/90W, the reflector got melted but the stock holder was perfect condition.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote