Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th March 2009, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Two Wheelers On Highway!

Mods : Pls move if this is not in the right place.

Hi guys

I am into a print media business and those who are familiar this field would know that this requires a lot of Travel. I m no different i travel a lot. And 90% of my travel is by road.

Something that always scares me is when i travel on the road are two wheelers which travel alongside me at 90 100 kmph. I m not talking about bikes driven by experienced bikers who know what they are doing and drive responsibly.

But young bikers on their Splendors and Unicorns. These bikes are not just bikes to driven on the highway at great speeds. The first thing my father taught me about highway driving is 'Remember, however fast you go, you have to stop with control'. These bikes go fast yes. But what if a situation arises where they have to stop at 100 m. Will they be able to stop. When i see them from behind at high speed i see only 2 or 3 mm of contact between their tyre and the road surface. Is it safe to travel at these speeds.

I remember 2 happenings recently. Both on the same Chennai Bangalore highway. One was a group of bikers all in their leathers, helmets and backpacks traveling at 100+ kmph and overtaking me on my Qualis. All of them where driving modified bullets and harleys. I felt every safe seeing them. These ppl knew what they were doing. Their bikes and tyres where equipped for this. Another was a lone dude on his karsima or modified yamaha (was too rattled look at bike model) was doing 100+ with a pencil thin tyre. This bike was just flying around on the road. He was wearing nothing but sunglasses. What if a dogs runs across? or there is sand on the road? And in a country like ours, there is always a possiblity of someone walking out of the blue and crossing the road.

These highspeed two wheelers on the highways are always a risk.
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 19:29   #2
BANNED

... and worse, these bikes have front disc brakes while the drive goes to their rear wheels. but also, to be fair to them, they cannot afford four wheelers and have no separate roads earmarked for them. its a classic mess.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 19:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and worse, these bikes have front disc brakes while the drive goes to their rear wheels.
Care to explain what you mean by this?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 19:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
they cannot afford four wheelers and have no separate roads earmarked for them. its a classic mess.
blacmagic, i beg to differ here.
Having no separate lanes for two-wheelers is not a biker's fault. We don't have lanes within the city, how can you expect lanes on Highways which have just started keeping up with the growing traffic? Maybe your observation is just based on the chaos we see here in Hyderabad!

Bikers on highways are putting themselves at risk. But, what other choice do they have? They see a open road and just increase the throttle! What ever happens after that is left to fate!

Quote:
This bike was just flying around on the road. He was wearing nothing but sunglasses. What if a dogs runs across? or there is sand on the road? And in a country like ours, there is always a possiblity of someone walking out of the blue and crossing the road.
Dog coming across will make the biker leave his bike behind and fly for a few meters! Has happened many times to some of my friends! I once had a near miss too as a dog crossing the road suddenly decided to return back!
And thanks to the front discs on my pulsar, I was able to stop in time!
Quote:
and worse, these bikes have front disc brakes while the drive goes to their rear wheels.
Now, please explain the above statement!
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and worse, these bikes have front disc brakes while the drive goes to their rear wheels. but also, to be fair to them, they cannot afford four wheelers and have no separate roads earmarked for them. its a classic mess.
Ummm, I can and do afford a 4-wheeler, but love a good ride. Both the Pulsar and the Avenger are capable of long distances, and aforesaid speeds. You need your safety gear, common sense, and god. Same as inside a car!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 20:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post

I remember 2 happenings recently. Both on the same Chennai Bangalore highway. One was a group of bikers all in their leathers, helmets and backpacks traveling at 100+ kmph and overtaking me on my Qualis. All of them where driving modified bullets and harleys. I felt every safe seeing them. These ppl knew what they were doing. Their bikes and tyres where equipped for this. Another was a lone dude on his karsima or modified yamaha (was too rattled look at bike model) was doing 100+ with a pencil thin tyre. This bike was just flying around on the road. He was wearing nothing but sunglasses. What if a dogs runs across? or there is sand on the road? And in a country like ours, there is always a possiblity of someone walking out of the blue and crossing the road.

Darwin's theory - Survival of the fittest/smartest. Add to that luckiest. I remember doing speeds of 80+kmph on a bajaj super, dangerous overtaking WITHOUT wearing even a helmet and I can say I am damn lucky to be sitting here and posting this.

Last edited by asr245 : 30th March 2009 at 20:18.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 04:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Mods : Pls move if this is not in the right place.

Hi guys

I am into a print media business and those who are familiar this field would know that this requires a lot of Travel. I m no different i travel a lot. And 90% of my travel is by road.

Something that always scares me is when i travel on the road are two wheelers which travel alongside me at 90 100 kmph. I m not talking about bikes driven by experienced bikers who know what they are doing and drive responsibly.

But young bikers on their Splendors and Unicorns. These bikes are not just bikes to driven on the highway at great speeds. The first thing my father taught me about highway driving is 'Remember, however fast you go, you have to stop with control'. These bikes go fast yes. But what if a situation arises where they have to stop at 100 m. Will they be able to stop. When i see them from behind at high speed i see only 2 or 3 mm of contact between their tyre and the road surface. Is it safe to travel at these speeds.

You would be surprised to know that bullets have one of the worst braking abilities.
more than 90% of two wheeler crashes on highways occur due to a odd rider riding at 40-50 km/hr run over by a truck/bus running at 80 km/hr.
And yes riding without any protective gear is not a thing to do,but then you cant preach to these people.
I use my bike 90% of the times on highways as I dont have to commute much within the city. and my usual speeds vary between 90-110 km/hr with a odd burst till 125-130km/hr(thats what is my bike's limit:( ).
although i ride with riding gear,but still i feel as safe on my as i feel in my car.
and yeah bike's like a Karizma and P220's are way faster than your qualis,losing out only on topend by 4-5 km/hr

and yes a Karizma or any other 150CC bike doing around 100km/hr is way safer than a splendor or a scooter revving its guts out at 80km/hr.

Quote:
Ever ridden a bike with a front disc brake?
how can you say that a odd biker on highway cannot afford a car?
generalised indian thinking,isnt it,that a two wheeler is a poor man's chariot.
I havent touched my car since 10 days now,it sits neatly in my garage.
reason i love to ride,and its something that many people dont understand

Last edited by akshay4587 : 31st March 2009 at 04:22.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and yes a Karizma or any other 150CC bike doing around 100km/hr is way safer than a splendor or a scooter revving its guts out at 80km/hr.
Can you justify this? AFAIK, the Splendour has "adequete" brakes. As for scoots, I know most of the old Bajaj scoots like Chetak/Super etc. had/have awful brakes, but what about the current lot like Activas, Eternos, etc?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:05   #9
BHPian

Default 2 wheelers not allowed on flyovers and speedways

If anyone has noticed while travelling from Delhi to Gurgaon via the toll road, just as you cross Dhaula Kuan, you find a board that says, toll road ahead and there is a clear indication that 2 wheelers, cycles and hand / bullock carts are not allowed on that road. This is only for the flyovers and not the whole toll road.

Has anyone seen this? I am certain bikers haven't and still venture at 90+ speeds on these roads.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 02:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Can you justify this? AFAIK, the Splendour has "adequete" brakes. As for scoots, I know most of the old Bajaj scoots like Chetak/Super etc. had/have awful brakes, but what about the current lot like Activas, Eternos, etc?
Try hard braking on a Splendor( i am talking of one's without Disc brakes)
and then on a Pulsie or a Zma you would know.
and I guess you own a shogun too,try on that,I had one until last year and it had awful brakes until i upgraded to a Disc set up for it.

Regarding the scooters most of them have decent braking if they arent ridden at speeds above 60,and forget Bajaj scoots,they used to spin like crazy under braking because of engine weight.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 03:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Try hard braking on a Splendor( i am talking of one's without Disc brakes)
er..splendor/platina/passion do not really brake 'hard' ..hehe..and not at all at anything above 70kmph.
Recently had the 'pleasure' of riding a platina and the way its puny drum brakes behaved was awful to say the least.The braking ability or the lack of it from these commuters really leave a lot to be desired.I guess a front disc should be made standard on every bike regardless of displacement/segment,even if it means elevation of retail price by a few thousand bucks.A couple of grands is a small price to pay for safety.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 04:16   #12
BANNED

whoops! totally lost track of this thread.
anyway, here's what I mean about tfront disc brakes. Im not saying theyre bad. Im saying that that the twin discs that are now coming as 'premium fixtures' should have been made standard. or if manufacturers wanted to cut costs, they should have put the disc behind, not up front.

yes, I have ridden a Splendor all through my college days and also CBZs and Pulsars. I find it risky when the front wheel with no drive stops quicker than the rear wheel which is receiving power. I remember getting thrown off my bicycle when I pressed the front brake hard and the rear brake not as hard. we are talking about the similar things with engines here.

when I say classic mess, I certainly dont mean to say the biker or driver is at fault here. its the planners who make these roads that cut through villages and then say "no bikers, buffaloes and bullock carts". it is simply not going to happen. what do they expect these people to do? fly?
Old 1st April 2009, 05:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whoops! totally lost track of this thread.
anyway, here's what I mean about tfront disc brakes. Im not saying theyre bad. Im saying that that the twin discs that are now coming as 'premium fixtures' should have been made standard. or if manufacturers wanted to cut costs, they should have put the disc behind, not up front.

yes, I have ridden a Splendor all through my college days and also CBZs and Pulsars. I find it risky when the front wheel with no drive stops quicker than the rear wheel which is receiving power. I remember getting thrown off my bicycle when I pressed the front brake hard and the rear brake not as hard. we are talking about the similar things with engines here.

when I say classic mess, I certainly dont mean to say the biker or driver is at fault here. its the planners who make these roads that cut through villages and then say "no bikers, buffaloes and bullock carts". it is simply not going to happen. what do they expect these people to do? fly?
As a Kid I also have been thrown off my bicycle when i tried some antics using front brake.
and that does not scare from using front disc brake.
I have been riding the zma for around 4 years and 60K kms now and never ever have i felt the need for a rear disc brake,as the bike does not make enough power.
Karizma has a very progressive disc brake,and yes you need to be careful in using it in mud, gravel.
and as of now only RTR,P220 and R15 come with rear disc brakes-yes they do their job well,but still they are a slight overkill for the power they make.and not to mention that P220's rear wheel tends to lock up at slightest touch to brake pedal.

@blacmagic,if you still feel that front disc and rear drum set up is risky,then what about 4 wheelers the UV's,Gypsies a few Jeeps?.they also come with this braking set up of discs in front and drums at rear with them being RWD.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 1st April 2009 at 05:14.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 05:18   #14
BANNED

its true I havent ridden around much on bikes with front discs, but I have ridden around a lot on my Splendor. when you drive a lot on a type of mahine, you develop a feel for it. I remember a rash of accidents among friends when the CBZ arrived. they were almost always caused by folks driving fast [relatively] and mashing the front brake lever as hard as they would had it been a drum.

all Im saying is that by default and using common sense, the disc would be better suited to the wheel which is powered.

UVs with RWD come with front discs but also factor in brake bias and the massive weight + tire contact area.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:48   #15
BANNED

also, to clarify another point about 2 wheeler folk not being able to afford 4 wheelers, I meant the average person who forms a majority. it wasnt aimed at people who have both and yet choose 2 wheels.

as long as one can control a bike properly, all is well. but certainly not when you have constipated suicidal maniacs who feel the pressing urge to talk to the wind in the rightmost lane, overload their rides or decide to engage faster, stabler vehicles in a pointless race to nowhere. I very rarely see a sensible rider who looks like he is having fun.

en route to college, I would see a wrecked vehicle or a severed limb with frightening regularity. that in itself was enough to teach me to give bigger vehicles on the highway as wide a berth as possible.