Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th April 2009, 21:39   #1
BHPian

Default Increasing performance on a Rajdoot

Well, am not here to create a laugh riot, but am looking for serious advice on my Rajdoot GTS alias Bobby.

I use one every day to work and I notice that the only area that the 175cc engine scores is at the higher end of the RPM range. I only hope am not asked questions such as "At which RPM do you feel the power coming in?".

To answer all that, I do not have a speedo, for the only speedo gearing I could gather for the hub is one from from the RAJDOOT 175 series which as you know is of a bigger wheel diameter. RPM meter????

Now I need to increase the pickup right from 1st gear onwards, is this possible? ANy and every suggestions are more than welcome and much awaited.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 00:15   #2
BHPian

Started a thread after ages, with a genuine request though. Know it is much more of a challenge (or rather shall we call it impossible?, as I infer from PM's recieved from super bikers). This thread needs to meet it's end since none I guess have a skillset on the older generation bikes. I dont blame anyone, eventhough I did expect a response.

Tomorrow someone else would/could come up with a query as to what do I do with my TRF Magnum Plus?

After all old school works with originality et al..
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 00:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Anna i know nothing of the engine or the Carb it uses, all i know is its a Two stroker, if you want more performance from this baby, why not consult the same mechanic Sagar consulted for his RX135, the Javed or the Jahangir guy, they are really good with RXs, for all that i know, this Jahangir guy has worked for quiet a while with chetaks the basic same engine of a Bobby i am guessing! sorry if i am wrong.

i recommend these two two stroke mechanics who are quiet famous in the city for their work on 2-stroke bikes should be able to tune your bobby initially then may be work on it or put in a bigger carburettor for the better performance you seek

all the best check your PM for the info i have for you anna, all the best once again.

do keep us posted .
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 01:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tinkering with the the engine that old is a little risky , as it won't handle the mods like porting and stuff, these engine start overheating with mods. I would suggest an expansion camber, and jetting.
These bike are rear so try and keep it original as much as possible.
Oh ya one more thing you can do is get the thing sprocket change, for pick up at the cost of a little top speed, this one will give you the difference you are looking for only thing is the engine will reach red line sooner than now in every gear compared to the speed.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 19:01   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Rajdoot GTS 175 is a zippy bike compared to the original. That's because of its sheer size and hence the power to weight ratio.

I suspect your problem is that the engine needs an overhaul. I have driven GTs and the regular rajdoots. So I can tell you that this bike is definitely zippier.Please don't bother mods with the GTS.

However I have seen an old rajdoot 175 modified like a naked bike with fury disc and wheels. This was about 15 years ago. I have seen the bike pull wheelies. And I have been told that the bike is a joy to modify.
octaneoverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 10:08   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

How about swapping the engine. You can use an old RD 350 engine. It will be a real rocket then.
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:52   #7
BHPian

he he. accommodating an RD350 engine into that bobby chasis wont be easy at all. so is putting an expansion chamber as Bobby has a very unique scrambler type exhaust.. all you can try is mild porting, sprocketing, a bigger carb like a TM, bigger jets and a UNI Filter
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
Rajdoot GTS 175 is a zippy bike compared to the original. That's because of its sheer size and hence the power to weight ratio.

I suspect your problem is that the engine needs an overhaul. I have driven GTs and the regular rajdoots. So I can tell you that this bike is definitely zippier.Please don't bother mods with the GTS.

However I have seen an old rajdoot 175 modified like a naked bike with fury disc and wheels. This was about 15 years ago. I have seen the bike pull wheelies. And I have been told that the bike is a joy to modify.
Hey octane,
I own an old rajdoot 175, and although I plan to basically keep it original, I'm curious about the mods you mentioned... what's a fury disc and wheels??? How do you get it to pull wheelies?
insaneinsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fury discs are the disc brakes that was available with the old Enfield Fury motorcycles. See here for the picture of Fury motorcycle. Probably they'd done a street mods on the cylinder for the wheelie or should've been carried out by a stunt person.

Edit - A thread (Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp) that runs on restoring the Fury too

Last edited by aargee : 27th May 2010 at 13:58.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 18:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Now I need to increase the pickup right from 1st gear onwards, is this possible? ANy and every suggestions are more than welcome and much awaited.
I think sprocketing is a good solution for you. You will lose top speed but I dont think you care about that.

Not worth porting and fitting expansion chamber on the classic.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 02:22   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

APOLOGIES

Sorry people, somehow the thread reply alert never reached me. Just in case this is not too late...

The bike I'm talking about used to belong to a groundnut merchant in T Nagar Chennai. The mechanic was a guy called Karthi. I was in school back then.

PM me if you need more details on the two of them. The merchant had the wealth to buy an rx100 or and rd350. apparently the bike was too lucky for him to give up. so the mod.

Ordinary Rajdoot 175 with Fury fork, disc and alloys. Fibreglass tank, side shields and tail, custom-made headlight cowl, chromed expansion chambers and the works.

Even the engine was jetblacked and looked completely stunner. it would be very difficult to recognize the rajdoot in it. beautiful bike

Inside it had every possible mod you could think of. Point ignition was untouched. Presumably advanced timing, open-type air filter (bellowed like a bull when revved) ported engine, chambers like i said, then some magic on the clutch etc.

no iridium plugs back then, but presume the coils were powered-up. Likewise no idea of sprocket alterations. likewise no quickthrottle or anything. probably rejetted carbs only

in a nutshell. the bike looked contemporary, but had all oldschool mods in it. last saw it more than ten years back. not in its glory though. but bet the styling will be supercool even today.
octaneoverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 06:49   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Increasing performance on a Rajdoot

Did Rajdoots ever had a 4 speed gearbox? esp the last models with electronic ignition.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote