Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd April 2010, 11:58   #271
Senior - BHPian

The bike is a 1996 RX135 4s.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...5-4-speed.html (Rebuild - 1996 Yamaha RX135 4 Speed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6
There's a chance that he may have manually fed the engine with oil in which case it does smoke a lot but it doesn't take days for that to come to normal.
Well he did say that he fed the engine manually with oil. But this smoke issue was there before servicing also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6
Is this your bike or your friends bike you're talking about?
Friend's bike that we're redoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
^^^I can think of 2 reasons
1. There's an excess oil that the pump is sending to the carbs
2. The oil pump is normal, but due to the exhaust being cleaned up, it takes sometime again for the carbon to settle in & block the exhaust to allow less fumes out
Thought of the first reason, I guess thats what straight6 meant about calibrating the flow. The exhaust is brand new and original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
Again, few days is fine, but how many Kms have you clocked after servicing?
Hardly 10kms.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:06   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Raccoon - Did you say the good old Jetx 2T oil? Pls let me know if they're still available. I'm unable to find that in Chennai. The authorized distributor says Castrol has stopped suplying it; sent an email to Castrol 2 weeks back & still (hoping) waiting for a reply.
Yes, obviously I ment Castrol Jet X 2t. Last bottle I bought was sometime in 2009. The mfd. date on the bottle is 2008. The Castrol dealer I bought it from told me (at that time) that he has no info about it being discontinued and anyway, he has several bottles in stock in case I want more. After that I asked several other dealers and they all told me its no longer available with Castrol and they have no idea if it has been permanently discontinued by Castrol. I haven't seen a bottle of Jet X in any shop I have visited since then.

And yes, I have found Castrol to be one of the most unresponsive companies. Have never even received a reply from them. I guess since they are so big, they do not feel it imp. to respond to individual customers.

But that aside, why do you even want their stuff dude? Most of their products are overpriced and overhyped ...thats about it. There is much better stuff out there - Motul 510, Petronas, Shell, Gulf, etc. I know you wont get it easily... you may need to go a bit out of the way to get it.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:32   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Good to see that you believe in BPCL (me too). But try Servo supreme 2T from IOCL. As MAK 2T is thicker Servo supreme is lighter than MAK and carbon deposit will be less.
I don't agree with that. The thickness of the oil has nothing to do with the amount of carbon deposit. Its got to do with the formula and the rating. I was told that the Mak is the same as the Shell VSX2 semi synthetic.

I only picked up Mak because its semi synthetic which most people don't know. I've used Servo 3 years back and don't intend to use it again.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:05   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The exhaust is brand new and original.

Hardly 10kms.
Considering the above factor, pls run it for about 400-500 Kms & let me know if the smoke still comes out. Ideally this is what I would do
1. Mix 40-45ml with 1 litre of petrol & run it very very sane for about 400-500 Kms
2. After 400-500 Kms, start increasing the speeds & let out the smoke from the silencer, may be do this for about 60-100 Kms range of riding
3. Now decrease the mix of 2T oil to 30ml to 1 litre of petrol & now start riding as usual

I hope you ensure that you're using 20W-40 range of 2T oils.

I'm confident by now you'll have less smoke seen out, but if you still see more, then lets start thinking other possibilities

Next I want to ask something about the core. Is it a stock core or have you done some additional changes like breaking open the blocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Most of their products are overpriced and overhyped ...thats about it.
Very very true & couldn't agree more. However I look into the additives when buying them that plays a major role. For example Motul 800, a non automotive oil, helps to decrease the piston wear & tear apart from lubrication.

Quote:
There is much better stuff out there - Motul 510, Petronas, Shell, Gulf, etc. I know you wont get it easily... you may need to go a bit out of the way to get it.
Yeah, you're right, but Motul is too expensive for everyday use; I'll be checking out Shell tonight & post an update.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd April 2010 at 19:07.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:06   #275
Senior - BHPian

^^^Right, the thickness may not have anything to do with the deposits left behind. However, know that the latest grades of 2t oils have to be semi-synthetic. You can't meet even the FC grade without the oil being semi-synth. So even if its not mentioned on label, if you see FC or FD, know that it has to be semi-synthetic. Can't recall about FB. But anyway, all grades now available are at least FC.

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, but Motul is too expensive for everyday use; I'll be checking out Shell tonight & post an update.
IIRC Motul 510 costs around Rs. 350 /litre, depending on how many bottles you buy, and the discount. My bike somehow seems to drink very less oil and my usage is low. So it works for me. Guess it would be expensive for someone with heavy usage and higher oil consumption. But if it does indeed make the engine last longer and keep deposits down, which it should, it might to some extent pay for itself as you would save on engine rebuild, decarb of engine and silencer, risk of opening things, etc.

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd April 2010 at 19:12.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:50   #276
Senior - BHPian

@Racoon - Well, my usage is about 67Kms per day & I use about 9 litres a week provided I rip (real rip of speeds that can't be disclosed here) on the highway, if I don't then it consumes only about 7 litres!!! I need to double/triple check the 7 litre stuff but that's what the sane riding returns. To me its bad. Anyway, returning to oil usage, its about 210-360ml a week; currently I use ELF & I don't see a problem until my mech told me last time that the rings were slightly worn out in 5400Kms ride. That makes me think to change the 2T oil & hence all the discussions here

Last edited by aargee : 2nd April 2010 at 19:52.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:12   #277
Senior - BHPian

So Elf still sells 2t? Cool. Rings worn in 5,400 km?!? Thats an awfully short ride. Surely Elf can't be that bad? There must be other factors at play. And are you sure the oil was genuine?

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd April 2010 at 02:14.
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:15   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Elf still sells 2t? Cool. Rings worn in 5,400 km?!? Thats an awfully short ride. Surely Elf can't be that bad? There must be other factors at play. And are you sure the oil was genuine?
No Racoon, they're genuine & we get ELF all over this place & the shops that I buy from sell diamond kits only after stating they're bad, so they're trustable. May be I was ripping my Yamaha bad & yes I admit that. And by worn out means not needed to change, but to justify the worn out stage, I would say in few micro millimeters it has been worn out. Anyway, here's the oil I use.
All about Two stroke (2T) oils-e1.jpg

I started using it because it was exceeding JASO FC & company guarantee. All the more it comes with strawberry scent

On a serious tone, are you saying ELF is a real good oil?

Last edited by aargee : 3rd April 2010 at 07:19.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:26   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^Right, the thickness may not have anything to do with the deposits left behind. However, know that the latest grades of 2t oils have to be semi-synthetic. You can't meet even the FC grade without the oil being semi-synth. So even if its not mentioned on label, if you see FC or FD, know that it has to be semi-synthetic. Can't recall about FB. But anyway, all grades now available are at least FC.
Where did you get that information from? So what you're saying is that there are no mineral oils anymore and all of them are semi-synthetic? I have yet to see an oil below the FC rating here.

I wonder what rating Lal Ghoda is?
Old 4th April 2010, 00:30   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Racoon, they're genuine & we get ELF all over this place & the shops that I buy from sell diamond kits only after stating they're bad, so they're trustable. May be I was ripping my Yamaha bad & yes I admit that. And by worn out means not needed to change, but to justify the worn out stage, I would say in few micro millimeters it has been worn out. Anyway, here's the oil I use.

I started using it because it was exceeding JASO FC & company guarantee. All the more it comes with strawberry scent

On a serious tone, are you saying ELF is a real good oil?
Gosh... after cultivating your bike's taste buds with strwaberry flavour and all, your bike may get mighty pissed if you change to to other nasty smelling 2t oils!

Well, I dunno about Elf 2t oils, but their 4t bike oils do have v good reviews. I guess their car oils are supposed to be good too. Have not personally used the products though. If you are really ripping the guts outta your bike like you say, then I guess the Ester based Motuls might be your own savior. Cost is of course an issue though. Perhaps Motul 510 would be the middle path for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Where did you get that information from? So what you're saying is that there are no mineral oils anymore and all of them are semi-synthetic? I have yet to see an oil below the FC rating here.

I wonder what rating Lal Ghoda is?
Sorry, but really can't recall the sources now. Look it up online, to see if some info is there. Besides this, things are really not that straight forward! Do the companies declare how much synthetic component they use when they label something semi-synth? I'm yet to see one that does. It might not be at all accurate to judge a product based on the fact that its labeled semi-synth or with no such claim.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th April 2010 at 00:32.
Old 4th April 2010, 05:12   #281
Senior - BHPian

Gosh... after cultivating your bike's taste buds with strwaberry flavour and all, your bike may get mighty pissed if you change to to other nasty smelling 2t oils!

Quote:
Perhaps Motul 510 would be the middle path for you.
Well, Rs 350 is still expensive for daily usage or say atleast now; to state you facts, my motorcycle is under way to rebuild. So once it is run, probably I may consider switching over to Motul 800 or 510 for sometime, but until then I've time to experiment on 2T oils.

@Raccoon - I think I don't have much choice here too. I found that there's only one type of 2T oil that I can use - Shell 2T oil

Though I don't ride during hot afternoons, I plan to use 15W-50 grade 2T oils instead of 15W-40 due to Chennai's summer heat. Is there any added benefit over 15W-40? Has someone experienced in using this? Pls share your knowledge & advice. Thanks.

Last edited by Dippy : 5th April 2010 at 09:40. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:15   #282
Senior - BHPian

Finally I got them last Sunday & this is fully synthetic. I wouldn't say that yeah, I feel the difference etc etc; I don't see any difference between Shell advanced or ELF.
All about Two stroke (2T) oils-s1.jpg
Old 6th April 2010, 11:35   #283
Awaiting Email Confirmation

^^^ whats the pricing of this can ?
nitin.dangayach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:25   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I got them last Sunday & this is fully synthetic. I wouldn't say that yeah, I feel the difference etc etc; I don't see any difference between Shell advanced or ELF.
Attachment 323179
That is not full synthetic. It says "synthetic based" (semi synthetic) very clearly on the front. Shell doesn't sell full synthetic 2T in India.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:20   #285
Senior - BHPian

Thats right. Shell has shamelessly copied Castrol's devious marketing tactics... "synthetic technology bla bla". AFAIK, the only fully synth 2t oils available in India are imported - Motul and Petronas.

Aargee, you seem to be mixing multigrade terminology with 2t. Have you ever seen a 15w40 or 15w50 2t oil? Or any 2t which has viscosity mentioned?

It seems you are asking about transmission oil. I would recommend you stick to what is recommended in your manual. Try something good like Gulf. I intend to use that for the next change. I waiting for them to home deliver the same...

Last edited by Raccoon : 6th April 2010 at 18:22.