Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st July 2010, 00:17   #331
BHPian

Hey nitin thanx for the contact and quick response . will keep u updated .

@ aargee from left to right : Imported Shell Helix fully synth 4t oil i was talking about . ( 1000 rupees + change ) , Shell Advance Ultra 2t - Fully Synthetic 2t oil ( Not available in India - yet ) , Shell Advance VSX 2t a Semi synthetic 2t oil ( 224/-) , Shell Advance Ultra 4t ( 700 rupees + change ) which is also a fully synthetic 4t oil available in India . The sticker design on both 2t green bottles are of the older batches , the newer batches have stickers like that on the Purple 4t bottle .
Attached Images

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 31st July 2010 at 00:23.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 02:57   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
^^^ why dont you tell me how much it costs and where i can purchase Motul 510 in bangalore city ? Shell Lubricants can be purchased at any Shell Service Outlet / Petrol Bunk . I pick up mine of Lavelle Road and it cost me only 224 bucks a litre . Where can i source the Motul 510 from and for how much ? Is it cheaper and better ? Also why do u think Motul 510 is better than Shell VSX - both being semi - synthetic 2 stroke oils ? Have u used Shell Advance ?

ps: I go through a litre of 2t oil on my chambered 2 stroke once every 2 weeks
Dude, all your queries have been answered in earlier posts. You can PM me if you would like to know anything more. IIRC I purchased it for about Rs. 375 something (really can't recall exact). But it was definitely less than the MRP. If you buy more bottles at a go you can ask for better discount.

I really don't think you should even be comparing Motul 510 With Shell VSX. They are in different leagues altogether! Of course price of 510 is also commensurately higher. Also as mentioned before, 510 is perhaps the only FD rated oil you can buy in India. So you can expect it to keep your engine cleaner more than anything else (except perhaps Motul 800, of course).

IMO, priced midway between average stuff like VSX2 and the fully synths, 510 makes the most sense by far, unless you push your bike to the limits, in which case a fully synth would be a better idea.

Lastly is the Shell fully synth Ester or PAO based? I suspect its PAO based or maybe even a pseudo synthetic, in which case you just cannot compare it with Motul's products. Unless Shell declares this info, we don't know. And if it isn't declared, then assume its lesser stuff.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 03:13   #333
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @2StrokeJunkie; But what do I see in the first pic? 0W-30? Haven't even seen them yet. I hope that's an engine oil & not 2T oil right? And yes, the Shell Advance is the one I use too.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:00   #334
BHPian

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Shell VSX 2T oil is synthetic based/blend and not semi-synthetic and where as Motul 510 is semi-synthetic and Motul 710 is fully synthetic 2T.

I got to know what's the difference between Motul 800v and Motul 710, though both are fully synthetic.

1. Motul 800v is fully synthetic 2T oil and is used by many high revving 2T bikers and my understanding is that it is purely for pre-mix.

2. Motul 710 is also fully synthetic 2T oil however, not able to understand the difference between Motul 800. This one where Motul states can be used for pre-mix and oil injection (Autolube?). About the product availbility, called Chennai Motul Regional office - Joseph Louis, he said Motul 510 is available however, Motul 710 is currently not available for which he will request Mumbai office to get them from France.

I'll follow up with Joseph on Motul 710.
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:23   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used Yamalube and Castrol Jettx for a few years and Mak for a few months . Didnt have a problem with Yamalube , used to get it easily in Bombay . Hardly see Yamalube here in Bangalore . Mak is crap . Jettx is really expensive and was getting rare and hard to procure when i switched to Shell 2T after which i then "discovered" Shell Advance VSX2 and ive been pretty happy with it since .

Castrol , Mak and Shell are the most popular 2T oils here in Blore . I have not seen Petronas Fully Synth here in Bangalore . Am hoping Shell will launch their fully synth version in India since it will be easily available at any Shell Retail store / Petrol Bunk and it will be relatively cheap compared to the competition .

I also believe Shell would not sell over - priced , sub - standard products like Castrol etc . I am not sure as to how many kms i do in a month but i average around 20 kms a day , 7 days a week , 365 days a year on my beloved RX
Your bikes using too much oil. I average around 50 kms a day and I still require a liter for the entire month with hard riding.

I have used around 8L of 510 so far and its superb. Had opened up the engine for decarb and the mech said that there wasn't that much carbon after 10k kms. I can can tell that the exhaust sounds crisp much longer than when I used other oils. Which means that the carbon deposits are lesser.

I once rode from Juhu to malad and somewhere in between the pipe that goes from the pump to the engine came off and the oil supply stopped. I could feel the bike was getting a little rough as I was reaching malad. when I reached the mech, he saw that the pipe had come off. When he opened the engine a month back to decarb, he said there were no scratches from that time. I was using Petronas Sprinta 5000 at the time.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:39   #336
Awaiting Email Confirmation

straight6: since you have used both Oils: Petronas Sprinta 5000 & Motul 510,which would you rate higher ?

Does Motul 800 stand above all these ? please advice
nitin.dangayach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:34   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Your bikes using too much oil. I average around 50 kms a day and I still require a liter for the entire month with hard riding.

I have used around 8L of 510 so far and its superb. Had opened up the engine for decarb and the mech said that there wasn't that much carbon after 10k kms. I can can tell that the exhaust sounds crisp much longer than when I used other oils. Which means that the carbon deposits are lesser.

I once rode from Juhu to malad and somewhere in between the pipe that goes from the pump to the engine came off and the oil supply stopped. I could feel the bike was getting a little rough as I was reaching malad. when I reached the mech, he saw that the pipe had come off. When he opened the engine a month back to decarb, he said there were no scratches from that time. I was using Petronas Sprinta 5000 at the time.
Why don't you try using IFTEX System 2 3? Should help to keep your engine even cleaner. My Shogun has never been decarbed since it came out of the showroom. Can't say exactly how much part System 2 3 played in that, though. Since your usage is high and you open engine for that, you would be very well placed to comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
straight6: since you have used both Oils: Petronas Sprinta 5000 & Motul 510,which would you rate higher ?

Does Motul 800 stand above all these ? please advice
Dude, obviously Motul 800 is the top dog. You can't have 2 opinions on that one. The only issues are that its too expensive and should be used for pre-mix only. I don't feel it is justified unless you are into drag racing and stuff... esp. when Motul 510 is available.

I would not count on them to import the 710. There just is not enough demand. In fact I fear even stuff like 510 will disappear (they may not re-import), if there is insufficient demand. If you ask for too many variants, demand for individual variants will fall, and they may stop importing. There has to be some min. demand for any variant, before they consider importing/re-importing. This is as told to me by the Motul Management.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:38   #338
BHPian

Hey guys i just picked up a litre of Agip Speed Fully Synthetic 2T oil in Bangalore city for 550 bucks . It is of 2008 stock. Will try it out soon and keep u guys updated . I picked up Agip Fully Synth opposite Forum Mall Koramangala .

I someone knows locational outlets please post where I can purchase Petronas , Motul , and other brands of Fully Synthetic 2T in Bangalore .
Old 6th August 2010, 11:11   #339
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

I someone knows locational outlets please post where I can purchase Petronas , Motul , and other brands of Fully Synthetic 2T in Bangalore .
posted some time back posting now too

you can Pick Motul 510 Semi Synth & Motul 800 Fully Synth 2T from Vineet: 9886045610,he is the main Distributor for Motul Lubricants in Bangalore.Refer As Arvind's Friend
nitin.dangayach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 02:01   #340
BHPian

Oil tank is getting empty , intend to use the Agip Fully Synthetic 2T oil that i picked up. What ratio/ how many ml do u guys recommend I mix to a litre of petrol ? Should i go Pre mix or use the Oil Pump ?

Here is some info i found on net about the same oil

Viscosity at 100 degree C -- 9.7
Viscosity at 40 degree C -- 55
Viscosity Index -- 162
Flash Point Degree C -- 82
Pour Point Degree C -- -54
Mass Density @ 15 degree C -- 0.875

SAE Grade -- 30

Agip Fully Synth is JASO FC not FD . FD grades oils combust at a lower temperature and vapourize easier . Here is a 2T oil shootout . Dont know how reliable the source is .

Agip Cross 2T(FS) vs Castrol TTS(FS) - Page 5 - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

If u notice the best 2T oil in this shoot out is Castrol TTS Fully Synth . Agip Speed 2T Fully Synth is not vary far behind and almost matches Castrol TTS in some areas .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 8th August 2010 at 02:11.
Old 8th August 2010, 03:10   #341
BHPian

Attaching picture of the oil bottle
Attached Thumbnails
All about Two stroke (2T) oils-dscf1936.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 00:38   #342
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off-topic here, but I think very relevant to all 2 stroke owners -

Finally filled up my shogun with the Gulf Pride 20W40 yesterday. Took it out for a ride today and it definitely feels smoother than the Castrol crap (CRB Plus) I'v been using till now. Vibes have reduced. What is very noticeable is that the gearbox seemed to heat up much less compared to what it did when I was using Castrol. Something that I have noticed while using their 10W30 in my CBZ-x too. Very good oil, at a sane price for use in both 2 and 4 strokers.

Will take it out for a spin on the highway as soon as I get some time and see how much better it performs at high speeds.

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th August 2010 at 00:41.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:18   #343
Senior - BHPian

Put in some Motul 800 in the 2t oil tank last night. Lets see how it feels.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Two stroke (2T) oils-dsc00446.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 15:40   #344
Senior - BHPian

^^^You sure you wanna risk that and go against Motul's advice??

Since you are trying out many oils, are you simply adding oils when the level of old oil goes low or are you draining out the old oil completely? I'll be filling up with 510 very soon as the Jet X in my tank is almost near the min. mark. Wondering whether I should take the time to empty the tank completely or just let it mix.
Old 20th August 2010, 02:01   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^You sure you wanna risk that and go against Motul's advice??

Since you are trying out many oils, are you simply adding oils when the level of old oil goes low or are you draining out the old oil completely? I'll be filling up with 510 very soon as the Jet X in my tank is almost near the min. mark. Wondering whether I should take the time to empty the tank completely or just let it mix.
I'm not someone who'll die wondering . So far its not feeling bad enough to justify Motul's advice. I know someone who's using it in his RZ 350 and a few others using it in the RD as well.

I have enough judgement now so I waited till the 510 was almost over (if I rode around 5 kms more I would have risked seizing the engine) and then poured this. Its quiet a pain to drain the oil. Its ok for you to let it mix as you will be using the 510 henceforth.