Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st February 2011, 17:11   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All about Two stroke (2T) oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
The 2T tank on my RX100 has developed a leak at the lens cover. In spite of changing the lens/gasket twice the leak is persisting. I've been suggested to replace the entire tank but I don't want to do that just yet.

Solution is to go the premix way with my local RX mechanic recommending 60 ml to a liter. Does that depend on the oil being used (Shell 2T|VSX/Motul 510/Servo 2T)?
Why wouldn't you want to just replace the tank straight away rather than haggle around? Its not going to cost you a bomb. I got a new one for under 500.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:14   #362
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Right. Either try fixing the leak or change the tank. And your mech. is nuts - 60 ml/litre is too much.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:58   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Right. Either try fixing the leak or change the tank. And your mech. is nuts - 60 ml/litre is too much.
I should've elaborated. With the oil tank causing problems, I want to use the opportunity to gauge bike performance with different 2t oils available. Bike usage will be very low - say about 5-10 km/week, maybe an occassional office commute at non-peak times.

Oil pump metering ensures the right quantity of oil is delivered. What amount is that? I want to make sure I don't feed in less oil via premix method.

Mechanic is good, specializes in RX restoration - but I agree 60ml did sound on higher side - hence the question on this forum.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:07   #364
Senior - BHPian

^^^Dude, oil pump feeds varying amount of oil. That is not possible with pre-mix. Also know that it may not be the best idea for the oil pump to run dry, in case you plan to go back to it in future.

For a good oil, 20/litre is what is is recommended for "normal" conditions and bikes, if you insist going the pre-mix way. At most 30 ml, in really testing conditions. 60 ml is ridiculous.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:42   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Dude, oil pump feeds varying amount of oil. That is not possible with pre-mix. .
Not sure if I got that. My assumption is - Quantity of oil pumped depends on throttle position. More the throttle more petrol would be fed as well. Or is that not a linear relation? Clarification on this will be appreciated.
Old 24th February 2011, 02:53   #366
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, the relation is not linear. The pump was put there for a reason.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:37   #367
BHPian

I have been running RX100 with 60 ml of oil used as premix for a while now. The bike is running noticeably smoother. No impact on pickup. Oil used is Servo2T semi synth.

Next is to try this on my 135 which has a significantly harsher engine note and do a couple of days commute on bike (45 km round). It's currently running on HP regular gas and Motul 510 via oil tank/pump. Mechanic's recommendation is 40 ml for 135.

I'll post the experiences soon.
Old 24th March 2011, 01:43   #368
Senior - BHPian

^^^All I can say is that you are polluting big time and gunking up your engine in the process. Your plug may also foul on you when you at the wrong time. Bike will of course run smoother, but at what cost?

And compensating for mechanical issues by increased lubing is not the way to go either.
Old 25th March 2011, 03:32   #369
BHPian

Run pre-mix - bullet proof lubrication for ur 2t motor , just dont shut the throttle while riding - youll shut your lub supply off . and block ur oil feeder pipe n disconnect ur oil pump cable too.

i use bunk oil too - easy on the pocket. mak is commonly available . atleast 40ml a litre or fill 100 bucks ( gas + 60 ml oil ). Motul 800 is the best . Agip fully synth and motul 510 in that order . do not use the loose oil in any bunk except shell .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 25th March 2011 at 03:34.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 01:18   #370
Senior - BHPian

^^^How can one never shut the throttle when cruising? Is it possible? Run pre-mix and you are bound to oil starve the engine. I don't see how you can escape that. Everything has its pros and cons.
Old 26th March 2011, 02:30   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Run pre-mix - bullet proof lubrication for ur 2t motor , just dont shut the throttle while riding - youll shut your lub supply off . and block ur oil feeder pipe n disconnect ur oil pump cable too.

i use bunk oil too - easy on the pocket. mak is commonly available . atleast 40ml a litre or fill 100 bucks ( gas + 60 ml oil ). Motul 800 is the best . Agip fully synth and motul 510 in that order . do not use the loose oil in any bunk except shell .
I hope you know that 2 strokes engines are not meant to be ridden with throttle open for very long periods. Engine will not last too long.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 11:50   #372
BHPian

Around 4 months back, I acquired a Yezdi Type B. I used to tank her up at an IOC outlet with premix -- 30 ml per litre. Now, she is undergoing complete restoration -- new paint, engine overhaul. Cylinder is also being decarbonied (is that the right word???) -- carbon deposits are being removed. After this makeover I wanna a really use a good 2T oil, than the unknown variety in the premix. Which one do you guys suggest??? Price is not an issue... Quality is what matters!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 13:59   #373
BHPian

At most petrol pumps I see, the old loose oil for pre-mix is not used. Instead they have sachets of the pump brand (MAK/Servo etc).

In my experience of RX100 , considering similarly priced oils used as premix - my ranking is as below
1. Servo semi synth
2. Shell 2T
3. BP MAK.
4. Kinetic oil

Motul 510 is almost twice the price and my experience ranks it just after Servo 2T. Believe there are enough posts related to long term benefits of using Motul oil. My running isn't much to think about the economics of the oil pricing.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:12   #374
BHPian

what about Castrol Power 1 2T, Motul 2T ?
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 16:51   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Around 4 months back, I acquired a Yezdi Type B. I used to tank her up at an IOC outlet with premix -- 30 ml per litre. Now, she is undergoing complete restoration -- new paint, engine overhaul. Cylinder is also being decarbonied (is that the right word???) -- carbon deposits are being removed. After this makeover I wanna a really use a good 2T oil, than the unknown variety in the premix. Which one do you guys suggest??? Price is not an issue... Quality is what matters!!!
The correct word is "decarbonized".

As mentioned earlier, Motul 800 is by far the best 2T oil, followed by Motul 510. Motul 510 offers the best value for money... and for your Yezdi, its way more than good enough.