Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 04:44   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Just found out today that the RX-135 is supposed to give 1400 kms on a liter of oil. I'm guessing that I'll get around 1000 because I'm running in and not revving the engine at all.

I always thought that the colour is usually given so that you can check the level of oil through the window.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:06   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^^^Well, for that I guess a darker colour would be more useful. But I'v seen almost colourless oils also... like those from Servo. Been a long time since I saw those... don't know if they have changed the colour now.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:07   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Well, for that I guess a darker colour would be more useful. But I'v seen almost colourless oils also... like those from Servo. Been a long time since I saw those... don't know if they have changed the colour now.
If I remember correctly, Servo and Mak, both are green in colour.

Last edited by straight6 : 28th April 2009 at 15:22.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:13   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 95
Thanked: Once
Default

I have found IDEMISTU useful. It has dramatically changed the performance of my RX-100 and has made it ultra smooth. I directly introduce oil in the petrol tank, so the effect is instantly distinct.

I have'nt tried Castrol, but was told by a Yamaha enthusiast to stay away from it. Also, wanted to clear some misconception about the white smoke-

The 2 stroke vehicles should smoke during throttle. It's the presence of oil that causes it. If it is'nt smoking as it should be, you could be in trouble. Also, smoke does not always mean pollution. Petrol car emission is far greater dangerous (although invisible) than black diesel smoke as it is nothing but carbon particles which eventually settle down and they do not mix with air. Ref: Vehicle emission websites

Straight 6 - Max is amber in colour.

Last edited by star_is_here : 28th April 2009 at 15:15.
star_is_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:48   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

By amber, I'm guessing you mean golden. The only 2 coulours I have ever seen in 2T oils are green and golden.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 16:04   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
If I remember correctly, Servo and Mak, both are green in colour.
Servo must have changed the colour. MAK is greenish... I used their sachets to oil the air filter element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_is_here View Post
I have found IDEMISTU useful. It has dramatically changed the performance of my RX-100 and has made it ultra smooth. I directly introduce oil in the petrol tank, so the effect is instantly distinct.

I have'nt tried Castrol, but was told by a Yamaha enthusiast to stay away from it. Also, wanted to clear some misconception about the white smoke-

The 2 stroke vehicles should smoke during throttle. It's the presence of oil that causes it. If it is'nt smoking as it should be, you could be in trouble. Also, smoke does not always mean pollution. Petrol car emission is far greater dangerous (although invisible) than black diesel smoke as it is nothing but carbon particles which eventually settle down and they do not mix with air. Ref: Vehicle emission websites

Straight 6 - Max is amber in colour.
Dude, I very well know that 2 strokers are smokers! But the issue is how much! I'v seen a very wide variation. When my bike was newer I was using Mitsubushi (Tide Water Oil). It was the best... and visible smoke was close to zero!! On the other hand smoke from most PSU brands was the worst! Castrol Super TT was a close second.

For me the ther most important factor is that the oil should leave minimal residue. I dont' want sloppy mechanics messing the engine/exhaust/paintwork for decarbonising it.

While I haven't done a comparative test, smoke from 2 strokers is really bad... try tailing a smoking 2 stroke bike; or better still a rickshaw... can make you feel almost groggy!! The rickshaws are by far the worst. I'v seen many of them buying "loose" oil from oil shops. In that sense its good that smokers are no longer in production.

Is Idemitsu a semi-synthetic? Would be nice if you could post pics of both side of the bottle.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th April 2009 at 16:09.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 02:52   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Rickshaws use "Lal Ghoda" 2T oil . Can you imagine the quality of that?
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 09:46   #68
BHPian
 
mayurpalav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 56 Times
Default What to use for a Suzuki Shogun ?

Hi Team,

I am in the process of restoring my Shogun (1997), I've used Castrol TT in the past however no synthetic so far.
Now that I am replacing most of the parts in the engine so what oil should I go for ?
mayurpalav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:05   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Hi Team,

I am in the process of restoring my Shogun (1997), I've used Castrol TT in the past however no synthetic so far.
Now that I am replacing most of the parts in the engine so what oil should I go for ?
If you're not porting the bike, you should go with oils like Yamalube or the Motul Motomix, Yamalube will be easier to get.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:49   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Rickshaws use "Lal Ghoda" 2T oil . Can you imagine the quality of that?
Lal Ghoda is at least a brand! The "loose oil" could be just about anything...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Hi Team,

I am in the process of restoring my Shogun (1997), I've used Castrol TT in the past however no synthetic so far.
Now that I am replacing most of the parts in the engine so what oil should I go for ?
You can also consider Gulf Oil, Idemitsu, Shell, etc.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:53   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You can also consider Gulf Oil, Idemitsu, Shell, etc.
Those 3 are not easily available in Bombay.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:16   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^^^Just go to the company's website, get the contact details of Marketing department/Regional office/helpline or whatever... they will tell you where you can get it. Some may even offer free home delivery, if dealer is far. Shell will be available at their petrol bunks too.

In my experience Gulf Oil was very responsive... followed by Tide Water Oil (Yes they have 2t too).
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:35   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

The Gulf Power Trac is a synthetic 2T oil. I would only be interested in that one. I'm going to check where I can get that one from.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:41   #74
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Rickshaws use "Lal Ghoda" 2T oil . Can you imagine the quality of that?
That's HP LAAL GHODA - LAAL GHODA is the brand of HPCL, so now you can imagine the quality of it after knowing it is a brand of HPCL.

They also have HP Thanda Raja - Radiator Coolant with Anti Freeze & Anti Corrosive Properties

Last edited by gowda79 : 29th April 2009 at 15:45.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:45   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
That's HP LAAL GHODA - LAAL GHODA is the brand of HPCL, so now you can imagine the quality of it after knowing it is a brand of HPCL
I don't even rate Mak and Servo in the "better oils" so it doesn't matter. All rickshaw guys are looking for it so I guess its the cheapest oil you can get.

Btw, are you saying its good or bad?

Last edited by straight6 : 29th April 2009 at 15:47.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault's new two-cylinder, two-stroke 730cc diesel with 67 BHP & 145 Nm torque RavenAvi The International Automotive Scene 5 24th December 2014 07:39
What is the Difference Between a Two Stroke and Four Stroke Engine? WILDTHING Technical Stuff 3 25th January 2007 08:46
2 stroke ... 4 stroke ......6 STROKE ! pepper Technical Stuff 3 10th March 2005 00:58
two stroke engine akshitdewan Technical Stuff 1 10th April 2004 22:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks