Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th April 2009, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Default Spare wheel cover for my Bajaj Super

Hello Friends,

I have a thread on my 1985 Bajaj Super restoration. You can view the pics in my TBHP garage too.

The last piece of accessory which remains is a cover for the spare wheel (stepney cover).

I have not been able to locate one in Mumbai till now. The tyres itself were hard to find (3.50 x 80) and finding a cover for it is proving a pain.

Until few years ago, these were given away free or used as advertising mediums. Now, I can't even buy it from a store!

If someone can help me find the right size cover in plain black preferably, I would be greatful.

abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm Thats sad, Have you tried with any of the existing scooter's covers? I know none of them is exact size but the cover may just fit.

Some spare wheel covers that are still available IIRC

- Activa - Should be bigger
- Scooty - Smaller
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I have not been able to locate one in Mumbai till now. The tyres itself were hard to find (3.50 x 80) and finding a cover for it is proving a pain.

Until few years ago, these were given away free or used as advertising mediums. Now, I can't even buy it from a store!

If someone can help me find the right size cover in plain black preferably, I would be greatful.

The Activa cover would be a perfect fit as both Super and Activa share the same tyre size ,else you can always get a custom built cover made.I am sure any roadside seat cover wala will do it.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Activa, Bajaj Chetak etc, have 3.50 x 10 size tyres. This is 3.50 x 8
Seatwalas refuse to make a custom size. I have tried at atleast 4 different places.

I have been told that I might have to source one from other cities where the scooter population is still high.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check with local 2 wheeler Garages. Offer them some premium and they would source a perfect size for you. They have contacts!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Activa, Bajaj Chetak etc, have 3.50 x 10 size tyres. This is 3.50 x 8
Did you try putting a Activa cover on your spare wheel?If it is not too loose a fit,I think it should work(what I meant by loose is it shouldn't be like putting on nada underpants instead of a VIP frenchie)
Old 20th April 2009, 16:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Did you try putting a Activa cover on your spare wheel?If it is not too loose a fit,I think it should work(what I meant by loose is it shouldn't be like putting on nada underpants instead of a VIP frenchie)
In fact it does look like that. I tried with 2 seperate types of covers, rexine as well as thick fabric kind. If you see the restoration pics, you will see that it was a complete ground up restoration. I dont want to spoil the looks by putting on any odd sized cover. It would be best to keep it in birthday suit for now!

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 20th April 2009 at 17:00.
Old 20th April 2009, 19:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

A radical solution:
1.Buy a good Activa spare wheel cover(to fit 3.5x10 tyre size).
2.Make a 1.5" thick ring of closed cell foam(White or Black Heatlon viz. EPE Foam) of about the same circumference of your spare tyre
3.Stick this foam on the inside of the "Honda Activa" spare wheel cover(even if you just place it inside or stick it at a couple of points using double gum tape,that would do)
4.Cover chadao aur khush ho jao.

I feel this will be a neat tight fit and should cost you peanuts even if experimenting.
Old 21st April 2009, 09:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
A radical solution:
1.Buy a good Activa spare wheel cover(to fit 3.5x10 tyre size).
2.Make a 1.5" thick ring of closed cell foam(White or Black Heatlon viz. EPE Foam) of about the same circumference of your spare tyre
3.Stick this foam on the inside of the "Honda Activa" spare wheel cover(even if you just place it inside or stick it at a couple of points using double gum tape,that would do)
4.Cover chadao aur khush ho jao.

I feel this will be a neat tight fit and should cost you peanuts even if experimenting.
Sorry buddy, that won't work. The lower edge of the spare wheel is just few mm away from the metal guard protecting the tail light.

Even cosmetically, I would not try it since the gum tape will leave a residue. Thanks for the suggestion, anyways. I know you guys are trying to help me in all ways possible, but I would rather wait for the right accessory instead of trying some quick fix and repenting later.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:53   #10
BHPian

Yes, the Bajaj Super has 8" tyres. So, neither Chetak's nor Activa's cover would fit.

Try some garages who specialize in scooter restoration. They should definitely be knowing where to source one.

You need to try more Cushion makers/seat makers. In a city like Mumbai, I think there might be plenty of them. Just keep trying and get one stitched.

I'll look in my place, if I find one, I'll definitely send it to you.
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 14:32   #11
BHPian

five46: That's very nice of you to look out at your location. Do send me a PM if you find one, and we can work out the logistics.