Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th May 2009, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Default Which one is a better buy of these bikes (Hunk / Unicorn / RTR)?

Hi All!

I am planning to buy a new bike and would like to have your suggestions.
I have three bikes in my mind as of now and they are:-

1. Hero Honda Hunk.(Had a Hero Honda Ambition for 7 years and recently sold it off.)
2. Honda Unicorn.(My cousin has it and know it is a great bike!)
3. TVS Apache(Not the FI one. Not sure about its A.S.S and handling)

I do not intend to ride it more than a few hundred kilometers per month, so an average between 50 to 60 kmpl is great!
I am not all that tall and have a medium built.

I would also like to know about the waiting period for the bikes that you all suggest as even that would be a deciding factor, as I have already given away my bike and have to heavily rely on four wheeler for transportation which is a real pain in city traffic. :-(

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Abhishekh Jain
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 22:04   #2
BHPian

Hi Abhishek,

My order of preference for the bikes your suggested will be:-
1) Unicorn - best of the 150cc segment. It does have a waiting period. waiting period well, it is a testimony of the bikes worth. it ll fetch u around 50-55kmpl. its engine is like a rock.

2) Hunk - Hero honda any day is good, but these days only second to honda! hunk shares the same engine with unicorn although its tuned for more power. so expect lesser mileage in the range of 40's.

3) TVS - the brand itself isnt standing anywear near the top of the segment. Bike as such has been good. But long term reliabilty is a question with TVS bikes off late after their long gone Suzuki Fiero (suzuki engined)

now my additional choices for u:-
4) FZ16 - NOT BAD AT ALL. if its ridden properly in the first 1500kms this bike hold good with great handling. but i repeat, IF ridden properly in ride-in period

5) Suzuki GS150
Whenever such a bike comes upfront the engine will be the all imported one. so have my word on ite engine. it must be wonderful. same has happened even with Kawasaki 4S (later changed to Bajaj 4s), Suzuki fiero (later changed TVS Fiero). So do enquire about it.
6) pulsars are dead by now. i owned one once !
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 22:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Apache RTR anyday. The mileage point is frankly bunkum for someone buying 65k+ bikes.

Assuming 500km/month, 50rs/L - the diff between 45 kpl and 60 kpl is just 138 bucks a month. But the smiles from RTR are fully worth it.

And as for run-in. Please mototune.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 22:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
.(Had a Hero Honda Ambition for 7 years and recently sold it off.)
But the Ambition was launched in September 2004. How did you have it for 7 years ?

I had one too and my brother drove the Unicorn. And I regretted not buying that bike instead. Go for Unicorn !!!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 23:19   #5
BHPian

Which bike, depends on what kind of riding style you have, and what's the main purpose - commuting to college/office or for the thrill of it. Appears commuting is your main use , so the Unicorn suits that riding best, and GS150 in second is most like a Unicorn , and I'd tie the Hunk and FZ at 3rd . RTR can be a little rough and the ergonomics are the best for commutes.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 00:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

RTR is what TVS has ever learnt from its foray into racing. Its the perfect bike one can have under 200cc. FZ16 is more trendy and less performance ( not to say its a bad performing bike).

If priority is looks i will prefer Yamaha FZ
If priority is Performance I will prefer TVS Apache RTR
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 10:10   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone who has answered the post!

I think, I am still still confused as now I have two more bikes to think about!! (FZ and the GS)

Well, I just plan to ride it on need basis. Not planning to ride it to office. (I miss those college days :-( )

[quote=Eddy;1300551]But the Ambition was launched in September 2004. How did you have it for 7 years ? quote]

I think, you might be aware that prior to the 135 CC Ambition which had a CBZ headlight , there was an Ambition 133 CC launched in late 2002 with a round headlight. Mine was a November 2002 model.

Regards,
Abhishekh Jain
Old 13th May 2009, 10:43   #8
BHPian

Default Moi 2 pennies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Thanks a lot everyone who has answered the post!

I think, I am still still confused as now I have two more bikes to think about!! (FZ and the GS)

Well, I just plan to ride it on need basis. Not planning to ride it to office. (I miss those college days :-( )
Hi Abhishek,

Most of the bikes (apart from GS) are bikes I have had the previlege of testing out. While most of these (esp RTR and FZ) are fun to have in the beginning, the jingbang tends to wear off eventually. In the end, all that would matter would be the riding feel, because when its a few hundred kilometres per month and entirely need based, I guess you would expect really low maintenance figures.

The Honda Unicorn, in that way is the best of the lot you have named. The monoshocks are something you would thank Honda for time and again...the engine, as someone said rightly, is a rock. The amount of reliability you can attach to Honda engineering would be justified to you once you ride this bike. It handles like a dream, and in case you feel a little peppy, you can have fun cornering her at 90-somethings too.

Although this might seem way off your segment, given your riding requirement, I cant help suggesting a 2-3 years old Enfield...maybe the Electra 5-speed. When you are riding only a few hundred kilometers, it makes every kilometer a ride all by itself. You can maintain her yourself, and you can even pick one up (in mint condition) for around 40k. If you are discounting it for the height/build factor...thats boohockey. I know bulleteers at 5'4'' weighing 65 kilos. Think about it.
justROYal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Yam FZ! Nothing like + its the latest.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Hi All,

I test drove Suzuki GS 150R yesterday. Honestly ,I did not feel it was worth 68K. Maybe the test drive bike wasn't at the best of its shape.

So I have eliminated Suzuki for the time being.

@justROYal:- Thanks for suggesting a bull, not a bad idea at all! However, I dont think, I will even be visible on it!! Moreover, I do not have the patience of riding it cool headed!

Today I did not get time, else I was planning for a test drive of Apache RTR and day after Hunk. Lets see how it works out now. :-(

Whatever I decide, I will keep you all posted.

Thanks a ton everyone, for valuable advise! :-)

Regards,
Abhishekh.
Old 14th May 2009, 19:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

out of the list you have given , unicorn . Can you wait for RTR 180 ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 08:45   #12
BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry guys, I could not keep you all posted with what decision I took. The internet connection at my place was not working. :-(

I have finally booked my second bike! Hero Honda Hunk! Will be getting its delivery by this weekend.

@black12rr: Thanks for suggesting 180 RTR! I had a word with the showroom guys and according to them, it would take another 6 months for that bike to hit the road. (Somehow I dont believe that guy. But did not want to take chances as well!)

Once I lay my hands on it I will surely update this thread with my opinion of H3..

Regards,
Abhishekh Jain
Old 18th May 2009, 18:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dude, one of the factors that figures in purchasing a bike is the service. Hero Honda service here seems to have gone to the pigs. Without going into details I am absolutely dissatisfied with their service. I sincerely suggest you check on this before buying. HH may make good bikes, but it will be ruined the moment the service centre gets its hands on it.

TVS on the other hand seems to be better in this regard. The company is also much more responsive to consumer complaints.

Not to mention the RTR will blow away all the other bikes with respect to performance.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Hunk is a good bike

Racoon, where in Pune do you get your HH bike serviced?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Automark Motors (United Agencies), Paud Road (Kothrud). My 1st free service experience was so bad, I haven't found the courage yet to go for the 2nd... Service is just ghastly... and as a bonus they give you free scratches on your brand new bike.

Tried to get it done at Pratham Motors at Bhandarkar Rd but they aren't ready to let me watch while they do it. On top of that they make issues if I want to put my own oil. Just dosent work for me.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote