Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th May 2009, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Default Need opinions on Shell Helix 20W - 50 Oil for the Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 4S

Hi there fellow BHPians! I am planning to change the my Bullet Electra 4 Speed's engine oil to Shell Helix 20W - 50. I was very impressed with Shell oils coz I used it on my Baleno Vxi and boy oh boy the differences was quite noticeable. The car is super smooth now and the power delivery and the throttle response has improved drastically. I know the technology used in my bike is a million miles away from what is used in my car, but it still keeps me thinking that I should go for the Shell Helix. Please advice ....
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

We used this oil in our Bullet Standard and our electra one the same day. we went from delhi to Gurgaon it was a total of around 35 Km run. it was hot sunny summer day last year. and when we got to gurgaon the engine was very hot tried to check the condition of oil i miss took it as warm water when my friend touched my hand with the dipstick. we drained the oil from the Electra rite away. it was flowing like any thing not thick at all.

300 some rs were going to go down the drain. but not rite way.
we got a can of Veedol Turbo star and put that into the electra again a run from IFCO chowk to New Delhi Domestic Airport and come back

check the bikes the Veedol was amazing and the Oil in my STD was again the same like the drained oil. so that means in roughly 70 KMs we had decieded never to touch that oil again for The bullets for sure.

now we had almost 6 L of oil to our disposal . i thought of using it in my Wagon R but was not sure so gave it to a friend to use it for his really old Maruti 800.

My borther uses Shell for his car he is very happy with it. i dont know what exactly he uses
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 00:40   #3
BHPian

first of all, unless you are superman, there is no way by visual, touch or feel that a normal human being can make out whether one engine oil is better than the other.

the interpretations can be so different, for example:
1. warm oil as opposed to hot oil can also mean that the oil is not taking away the heat from the engine as required by it.
2. clean and clear oil despite running thousands of kms can also mean that the oil is not cleaning up the carbon in the engine.
Etc. etc. ect.

so lets not judge an oil until its put to a proper lab test. for example, all human perceptions of great performance and super smoothness of synthetic oils vs mineral oils are just hallucinations. no way we can make out a smoother running engine just by feel on the wheel.

i know that many may object but believe you me, what i am saying is true. of course am not saying that if you use 90w inplace of 40w that one cannot feel the diff. all am saying is that humanly its not possible to feel the difference in performance be it veedol 20w-40 or shell 20w-40.

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 27th May 2009 at 00:51.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 00:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
The car is super smooth now and the power delivery and the throttle response has improved drastically.
drastically? come on!!! dont tell me that the manufacturer recommended "groundnut oil" until you discovered that shell "drastically" improves performance??? no way jose!! its all in the head of the driver. you mean to say that hp, bpcl, iocl make poor lubricants that compare drastically negative to shell? not at all my friend.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 18:03   #5
BHPian

Running Shell Helix 20w-50 on the Bullet now. And trust me it is super smooth!!. I thought may be I was just feeling good or may be it was just me. So tried on one of my friend's Bullet Standard. He says the difference is far too much to explain. both of our bikes idle clean, makes very low noise from the valves at high RPM, and the most important thing is that vibrations have come down. Which is a good thing!!!. Try it out my friends. I m sure you will be happy about it.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Instead of using Shell Helix, which is a car oil why not use a fully synth oil for bikes? Motul makes some xW50 oil for bikes, I believe. Would be much safer to use that. Price will also in the whereabouts to what you pay for Shell. Whats more its Ester based which I'm pretty sure Shell is not.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 05:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Instead of using Shell Helix, which is a car oil why not use a fully synth oil for bikes? Motul makes some xW50 oil for bikes, I believe. Would be much safer to use that. Price will also in the whereabouts to what you pay for Shell. Whats more its Ester based which I'm pretty sure Shell is not.
Thats the 300V and its available in 15W-50.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 19:32   #8
BHPian

You guys are right straight6 and racoon. There are better oils available. But the difference here is that Shell performs better as the oil is a lot more thicker, which is very good for the bullet with a cast iron bore. Coz if you go for a thinner oil like the 5w-50, it can develop unwanted oil leaks on your bullets, which I am sure you wouldn't like. Well I am no scientist here, but Shell Helix 20w-50 has been running on my bike and I love the way my bike goes now. I feel a day and night difference between the stupid Veedol 20w-50 which the company recommends.

not the 5W-50. I meant to sat 15w-50

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th June 2009 at 19:42.
Old 4th April 2010, 14:58   #9
BHPian

I have a Std. 350, which I use seldom. I am also thinking to put Shell helix 20w50 in it. It is doing well in me esteem since last 1.5 years. Oil is still viscous enough.

ron_91919 what is your experience?

What is the difference between 20w50 oil for a car & 20w50 oil for a bike?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 22:11   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Need opinions on Shell Helix 20W - 50 Oil for the Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 4S

Hi,

Can anybody give more details on the exact specification of Shell Engine Oil to be used for UCE Bullets ? Are there any advantages of using Shell Engine Oils instead of the company recommended engine oil ? In particular, are there any harm/demerits of using Shell Engine Oils ?

The Royal Enfield recommended Engine Oil for UCE Bullets is

Motul/Royal Enfield Liquid Gun
15W50 API SL, JASO MA
bhasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 01:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need opinions on Shell Helix 20W - 50 Oil for the Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 4S

IMO, any semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil that is specifically designed for 4 cycle motorcycle engines that meets JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 will work fine in a UCE Royal Enfield.

A motor oil that is designed for use in automobiles without reference to motorcycles should be avoided in the UCE powered motorcycles which shares its engine oil with the primary drive and transmission.

For the old Royal Enfields like the Iron Barrel or the AVL any auto or motorcycle oil can be used in the engine but the oil in the left side Primary case must meet the JASO requirement to prevent clutch slipping. Needless to say, the transmission on these older models must use the gear oil/grease specified by Royal Enfield.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 07:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
Can anybody give more details on the exact specification of Shell Engine Oil to be used for UCE Bullets ?

The Royal Enfield recommended Engine Oil for UCE Bullets is
Motul/Royal Enfield Liquid Gun
15W50 API SL, JASO MA
Shell (Advance series for motorcycle) do not have any oil with 15w_ specification. You can try Advance Ax5, 20w50 API SL, JASO MA. BTW what is the problem with ‘Motul/Royal Enfield Liquid Gun’ oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
Are there any advantages of using Shell Engine Oils instead of the company recommended engine oil ? In particular, are there any harm/demerits of using Shell Engine Oils ?
No, No

Last edited by (Alok) : 21st October 2013 at 07:14.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 00:37   #13
BHPian

Hi,

There is no problem with the company recommended ‘Motul/Royal Enfield Liquid Gun’ engine oil. But I was keen to try the Shell Engine Oils this time as I heard a lot good about them. I heard that the engine is more smoother and performs better with it. Is it true ? Will it be beneficial in any way for the UCE bikes, even if it means improved engine performance/smoothness by 5-10% ?
bhasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:42   #14
BHPian

I don't think there is anything wrong in trying the Shell Helix 20w50 on a UCE Bullet. I think although I am not sure you can also try a synthetic oil as the engine is relatively modern than its cast iron cousins.

By the way I have stopped using Shell Helix 20w50. And here are the reasons why.

The good.
1. The bike was super smooth
2. Very less vibrations at high RPM's
3. Even though the oil would look dirty a bit faster than the others, by that I mean it turns black pretty quickly. You could easily run it to 5000 km instead of 3000 or even more. I once changed the oil after running 7600. Two reasons for it 1. I forgot about it completely and 2. I was out of my job and broke

The bad.
1. Not recommended if you ride your Bullet in stop and go traffic extensively as I noticed that the engine was running hotter than usual almost 400 km after an oil change.
2. Not recommended if you want to use it during summers, the oil literally goes super thin and almost like water.

Since 2011, my mechanic friend suggest me to use Valvoline. Been on it ever since. I can rev hard, my engine stays cool and the oil is somehow made for the cast iron Bullets.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 15:01   #15
BHPian

@ Bhasker, cant comment on the outcome but I am very sure it wont harm you if you wanted to try as the oils that is recommended by RE and what you want to try is pretty much the same, except the difference in the manufacturer. As a good practice and as the UCE is relatively a new engine, I would recommend you to stick with RE's recommendations.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote