Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th May 2009, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Left arm pain, at the elbow? or the wrist? Do you have a milder version in your right elbow/wrist, by any chance?

My mind tells me its got a lot to do with your riding posture. Some of it could also contribute to the pain, something as trivial as sleeping in an odd position, or doing things in a manner thats not ergonomic.
I have been riding my bike over a year now and never had any sort of ache/pain. It hurts in the palm area and to some extent in the wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Could be the preliminary stages of Cervical spondylitis, get it checked.
John, care to elaborate?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hello All,

I have recently started riding my bike from my home in Mira Road to my office in Ghatkopar. A total disatnce of 27.1 kms/each way. I take the western express highway and then the aarey road. Off lately, I have started getting "left" hand ache (actually the arm) even if I ride the bike for 10 kms or less? The bike in question is a Hero Honda Hunk and is maintained in a mint condition. Can this happen? Earlier my office was in Malad and the total distance was 26 kms (both ways included).

PS: I had recently fixed a new "original" handle as the earlier one had got bent as a Tavera had kissed the bike last week. Could it be because of the new handle not adjusted properly? To bare eyes, everything looks fine

What is the "ideal" kms that an average Joe can ride without affecting his back/arms.
I ride from Mira road to Powai and back, which is 50 kms total on the RX with no problem. I have a customised seat with extra foam in it.

I also ride to Bandra and town when I'm not working.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 18:29   #18
BHPian

<amtak>
I suspect it be your physical condition.
Can you disclose your Height, Weight and waist measures.
Lower back pain occurs if the tummy size exceeds your backbone strength to support it. This coupled with pothole ridden road very well adds to the issue. Even the wrist problem seems a lifestyle problem.
sulivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 23:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been riding my bike over a year now and never had any sort of ache/pain. It hurts in the palm area and to some extent in the wrist.
I've had those problems too. When I started to ride my bike here last year, I couldn't do more than 10 miles at a stretch without having to stop and rest my hands. I figured I would press quite hard against the handle bar in an effort to stabilize the bike (at 375lbs, my bike's not too heavy yet not too light). I then began to lessen the pressure applied while holding the bars, and that helped me quite a bit.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 23:15   #20
BHPian

Post The pain could be due to prolonged stress over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Could be the preliminary stages of Cervical spondylitis, get it checked.
Yes this has a high chance. The symptoms are all there. Since you have the bike for over a year, lets assume your riding posture and ergonomics of the bike are OK. The pain could be due to prolonged stress over time (kind of slow damage). Also check for any changes in your normal life like office chair or new pillows or anything that might cause this pain and make it obvious due to riding. Seemingly possibilities of cause should not be ruled out. I ride 35+35 Kms daily from Kharghar to Bandra and when I started using gloves, has a little pain initially and then it is all OK.
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 09:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulivan View Post
<amtak>
I suspect it be your physical condition.
Can you disclose your Height, Weight and waist measures.
Lower back pain occurs if the tummy size exceeds your backbone strength to support it. This coupled with pothole ridden road very well adds to the issue. Even the wrist problem seems a lifestyle problem.
Height - 5.8
Weight 73 Kilos
Waist - 32

Hitting the gym soon. Rejoined the gym but could not go due to hectic schedule.
Old 1st June 2009, 06:13   #22
BHPian

About wrist hurting....
The springs intended to cut off throttle/gas can be hard on the wrist, especially when you want to ride all day. I have found a wrist rest, or a throttle rocker to help a lot. You end up using the palm, instead of gripping the throttle, and it does not hurt as much. Expensive options such as cruise control (Throttlemeister) would work as well.

About back...
In my opinion (for a healthy young person) it has do entirely with the riding position. Do not lock up your arms, loosen it. Not arching the back, but leaning forward, seems to help me.

BTW, Check out Iron Butt riders who do 24hour 1000mile rides IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders)
-Prasadee

Last edited by prasadee : 1st June 2009 at 06:15.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 17:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

John, care to elaborate?
If you feel numbness or pain through your shoulders/arm, these are definite signs of Cervical Spondylitis. Cervical meaning the neck bones (pardon my non technical talk).
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 18:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Height - 5.8
Weight 73 Kilos
Waist - 32

Hitting the gym soon. Rejoined the gym but could not go due to hectic schedule.
You are too heavy for your height. Work on your entire back in the gym.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amtak, the same problem areas have been faced by me when i changed the handle bars of my RX135.

The original was bent when it was knocked down by a cow when it was parked. The handle bar fitted as a replacement was not RX one and even worse was broken inside and was adjusted to match the length with a piece of rod.

I used to feel the pain in my palm, wrist, in my arms at times and at the waist. The traffic in B'lore was also not helping much. I got the handle replaced to the original from my trusted mechanic and did not face any problems thereafter.

So try getting the handle bars checked and also the dampers at the end of the bars as already pointed out.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 21:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
You are too heavy for your height. Work on your entire back in the gym.
I disagree.

I am 5 feet, 10 or 11 inches. Don't remember exactly
Weigh between 98 and 100 depending on the time of the day.
Waist size 36" but depends on who is watching.

During my last long ride.
Left Ooty at 7 AM.
Hyderabad the next day in the early afternoon.

Office the next day.

Everything depends on the posture.
The footpegs, the handlebar, tire condition and pressure.
A snug fit for the helmet.
Comfortable clothing.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 22:41   #27
BHPian

U need an MRI of your back, it could be a disc prolapse (as that would mean, your motorcycling days are over, at least to work). Don"t neglect that hand pain, it could be "Carpal tunnel" due to a regular vibration your wrist receives during riding. Go see an Orthopedic doc.
drsamuelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Your best bet is to get youself checked first, and find some alternate mode of transportation until you feel better. Then, make some changes to your riding style ( as well as some changes to your bike, probably trying gel-cushioned handle bar grips for starters).
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I disagree.

I am 5 feet, 10 or 11 inches. Don't remember exactly
Weigh between 98 and 100 depending on the time of the day.
Waist size 36" but depends on who is watching.

During my last long ride.
Left Ooty at 7 AM.
Hyderabad the next day in the early afternoon.

Office the next day.

Everything depends on the posture.
The footpegs, the handlebar, tire condition and pressure.
A snug fit for the helmet.
Comfortable clothing.
I disagree too.

Every body is built differently. You need to take care of the basics first and then look into other things. Some people have a weak back. Some have naturally strong ones.

I had injured myself in the gym while doing squats in '98. I was lying flat for an hour. After a few weeks rest at home I started working on strengthening my back and I have never had a problem after that. Its almost as if it never happened.

What works for you may not work for someone else.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Just an update. Got the bike checked throughly. No problems whatsoever as checked by the bike guy. He checked the dampers, adjusted the mirrors, checked the tires/wheel for any mis-alignment etc. Today my hand ached very little. Probably there was less traffic on the road and I was trying to hold it as loose as possible.

@ Straight6: Do you use aarey road?