Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd June 2009, 10:40   #16
BHPian

I've taken a note down of all that i should get done ( tests ) and things that should be checked. I'm not too well at the moment so as soon as i'm feeling better i'll get it done.
I have not put oil into the bore as i was not aware that it had to be done, i'll keep that in mind from now on though.
I checked the oil level and it seems to be ok. What are tappets if u dont mind me asking?
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne D View Post
I've taken a note down of all that i should get done ( tests ) and things that should be checked. I'm not too well at the moment so as soon as i'm feeling better i'll get it done.
I have not put oil into the bore as i was not aware that it had to be done, i'll keep that in mind from now on though.
I checked the oil level and it seems to be ok. What are tappets if u dont mind me asking?
tappets are what's in between the timing cam shaft and the valve stems (which are 2 in number in the pulsar - one intake and one exhaust). as the cam rotates which is itself controlled by the timing chain, the valves open and close. so in simple words tappet adjustment will help get back the opening and closing of your valves into correct synch.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 22:49   #18

Default Re: Pulsar 180cc Acceleration Problem

I am aware that I am posting on a very old post, but I have recently restored and upgraded my first generation P180 aka Pulsar classic now. The first generation came with a Mikuni BS 29 carb, which as I hear is now discontinued. The alternate replacement for it is the UCal BS 29 which goes on the later model bikes, which I have used as a replacement on mine now. The trouble I am having is that the carb is just not getting set right to this bike, I have checked with a mechanic too and he has informed me that the First gen. Pulsar 180 only works properly with the mikuni (which I have not been able to source). please help me solve this issue as to what could be solutions to this? Are there any other Carbs I could use?

I have tried using the Mikuni VM 28 with fantastic results but it harms the engine in the long run.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me sort this issue.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 12:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I am aware that I am posting on a very old post, but I have recently restored and upgraded my first generation P180 aka Pulsar classic now. The first generation came with a Mikuni BS 29 carb, which as I hear is now discontinued. The alternate replacement for it is the UCal BS 29 which goes on the later model bikes, which I have used as a replacement on mine now. The trouble I am having is that the carb is just not getting set right to this bike, I have checked with a mechanic too and he has informed me that the First gen. Pulsar 180 only works properly with the mikuni (which I have not been able to source). please help me solve this issue as to what could be solutions to this? Are there any other Carbs I could use?

I have tried using the Mikuni VM 28 with fantastic results but it harms the engine in the long run.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me sort this issue.
Have a go through the following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-properly.html (How to tune your carb properly)
There are lots of websites from which you can gather information on how to dial in a carburetor. All the best with your task.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 21:47   #20
BHPian

Hey guys sorry for bumping up such an old thread.

P180 , 2007 model. Does not rev beyond 7k, chokes like crazy right from 3k.
Got the carb opened up and cleaned up several times but the problem does not go. Will replacing the carb solve it ? Im fed up. Should I get the tank cleaned ?

Running Knn and an upsized jet from zma, 118 size i think, stock is 112 or 114. Its been 55,000 kms plus with the KnN so i dont think that's the problem.

The bike stands idle a lot and I have a trip coming so need help fast !

Sometimes the bike just opens up suddenly and goes all the way up to 10,000 rpm revving and accelerating freely like it was brand new, then suddenly back to 5 horsepower.

Got the engine block kit changed a few years back too.
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 23:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Got the carb opened up and cleaned up several times but the problem does not go. Will replacing the carb solve it ? I'm fed up. Should I get the tank cleaned ?

Running Knn and an upsized jet from zma, 118 size i think, stock is 112 or 114. Its been 55,000 kms plus with the KnN so i dont think that's the problem.

Sometimes the bike just opens up suddenly and goes all the way up to 10,000 rpm revving and accelerating freely like it was brand new, then suddenly back to 5 horsepower.

The ZMA runs a 125 stock main jet.

Try swapping carbs with another P180 but switch to the stock Air Filter during the test.

If no change, might want to look at the spark plug, the spark plug cables and the CDI.

Other culprits could be a dirty fuel tank, a dirty fuel filter, tight tappets, incorrect timing.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 11:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys sorry for bumping up such an old thread.

Got the carb opened up and cleaned up several times but the problem does not go. Will replacing the carb solve it ? Im fed up. Should I get the tank cleaned ?

The bike stands idle a lot and I have a trip coming so need help fast !

Check the carb diaphragm also. If it has lost its shape then it will make Pulsar behave like scooty
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 13:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

My bike's is also throwing up issues of late. Its a 2006 pulsar 180 UG III with a measly 27k on the odo. I got it serviced recently at a FNG but looks like the mechanic did a shoddy job even after having the bike for 10 days with him. This is what i'm troubled with:
  • Impossible to get the engine to idle, it takes a good 3-4kms of riding else the engine shuts down if the rpm drops anywhere below 1500. In the mornings if i kickstart the bike,engine shuts down after a second or 2 of idling.
  • Poor acceleration. It feels like a splendor :(
  • Very susceptible to fuel quality. Give it Shell Normal or Super and engine is ok. Anything else means loss of pick up and just refuses to idle even after ridng for 10kms.

I got the carb diaphragm,oil etc changed a month ago. Does the clutch need replacement? I last got it done 3 years and 6k kms ago. Any recommendations of service center/mechanics near vijayanagar will be of immense help.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 23:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The ZMA runs a 125 stock main jet.

Try swapping carbs with another P180 but switch to the stock Air Filter during the test.

If no change, might want to look at the spark plug, the spark plug cables and the CDI.

Other culprits could be a dirty fuel tank, a dirty fuel filter, tight tappets, incorrect timing.
Yes my bad, 125 size jet stock was 118 or 115, its been a while so don't remember these things well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check the carb diaphragm also. If it has lost its shape then it will make Pulsar behave like scooty
Thanks guys I have made a list of things I need to get done now.

Compression check
Tappets adjustment
New Carb anyways
New Plugs

Don't know how will i find out if the problem lies with Cdi.

Anyone from Chanidgarh here knows where I could get my bike checked ?

All the mechanics I go to clean the Carb and then say your bike is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My bike's is also throwing up issues of late. Its a 2006 pulsar 180 UG III with a measly 27k on the odo. I got it serviced recently at a FNG but looks like the mechanic did a shoddy job even after having the bike for 10 days with him. This is what i'm troubled with:
  • Impossible to get the engine to idle, it takes a good 3-4kms of riding else the engine shuts down if the rpm drops anywhere below 1500. In the mornings if i kickstart the bike,engine shuts down after a second or 2 of idling.
  • Poor acceleration. It feels like a splendor :(
  • Very susceptible to fuel quality. Give it Shell Normal or Super and engine is ok. Anything else means loss of pick up and just refuses to idle even after ridng for 10kms.

I got the carb diaphragm,oil etc changed a month ago. Does the clutch need replacement? I last got it done 3 years and 6k kms ago. Any recommendations of service center/mechanics near vijayanagar will be of immense help.
If your bike revs freely but the speed does not increase accordingly, then clutch plates. Mine lasted 40k kms.

I think yours is also a carb problem.
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 07:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Carb anyways
Don't buy a new carb just yet. Try to figure out if the carb is at fault. Then we can narrow down to the faulty part. Changing carbs can be an expensive deal, or should I say, ordeal.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 09:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

You need a new Mechanic. Not a new carb! The problem is not with the carb. It is not something which needs replacement. So even if you buy a new carb you can end up with same issue. So don't
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote