| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|1st July 2009, 15:45||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore( But Nomore gardens)
Thanked: 7 Times
Acquired '90 RoadKing
Meeting you guys after Long time.
Thanks for the guys , who has replied for my roadking query and your answers/replies were taken into account before I acquire this bike.
Finally the search was over the day has come. Yes I had purchased 90'Model Road king, in decent shape last month and It was in good running condition.
When I purchased the condition was
1. No original paint.( I did not expect too)
2. NO original tank, the previous owner has replaced with second hand grey color tank and my bike is black in color.(There was leakage too)
3. There was the problem with gajan pin bush and it used to give tik tik tik sound while riding.
4. As it is point bike, there was starting trouble. (Problem with me too in starting this bike in the initial days, but now choke+ single kick , it will fire ).
5.when negotiating curves, it felt slippary and shaking.
6. Break was horrible and almost zero.
7. Speedo not working.
8. Only head light was working and None of other lights were working.
9. Not the sealed engine and it was running on first over size bore and some of the yezdi classic parts ( I came to know this, when my mechanic showed after opening engine).
But still I felt that , it was in decent condition, and except tik tik sound , running was smooth.
After the acquisition, I took the bike to my Yezdi mechanic and he is specialist in yezdi/jawa engine work and rebuilding the engine.( Ofcourse he is ).
He opened the engine and he gave me huge list of spares and he suggested that, NOT all are needed ,but atleast some parts which should be used for classic and not for ROAD king.
But I have decided to change , most of the things he suggested and it was one week project.
Every day I used to visit his shop during my lunch time and for the first three days I saw only the chasis of the bike and he used to say that some parts are in lathe and some parts needs to be purchased or already ordered and I started feeling little unconfortable,
But on fourth day I saw that only the engine comparment and tyres are fixed and I started feeling good and till that time I felt that DID I do any mistake by giving the bike to this mechanic. But later I realised that it is NOT.
Fouth and fifth day I did not go over there as I had some confidence on him and also because of busy office work and on sixth day he called me and said "SIR YOUR BIKE IS DONE" and I was there by next one hour.
It was really unbelivable, The bike looked brand new and very shiny ( With out chrome work), and he asked me to test ride.
Excellent work and the beat was entirely different and it ride was really really smooth and breaking is excellent
( He has changed break wire type to rod type and it is really great, I heard that If we change it to rod type , we will feel slippary , but in my case it is NOT and it is stable, and I would say rod type is really needed for this kind of bike and with wire type it was pathetic).
Major works are 1. engine rebuild 2. Front suspension revamp 3. Back suspendion revamp 4. Bread type change. and so many small small things here and there.
But, it was little costly process, and I had to shell out 10,200 rupees but it is really worth of it and over all process came to about 24,000 rupees including the bike price , name transfer etc,etc.
But , One word is, I am enjoying each and every feet of my ride and you will feel the difference if you ride anyother 100/150cc bike after riding this.
Bike is real Solid. Though 24K is little bit on the higher end,You would never get 250CC/two stroke/16BHP /comfortable drive / manly look /uniqueness on road by spending the same. Nowadays only on sundays I am taking out my HeroHonda Ambition that too only for short rides.
I am getting atleast one query or question while I wait at the signal and Mostly people used to watch me how I start this bike , because I usually switch off the bike
Usual questions are
1. What is this bike ? 2. What is the milege ? 3. Is the two silencers are custom made or came with the bike itself?
4. Is it yamaha made ? 5. Is it not difficult in riding this bike ?
Next process is engine setting:
1. Mechanic suggested , not to go beyond 40kmph for first 500km atleast. Yes I followed.
2. He suggested , not to go beyond 60 or 65kmph between 500 to 1000 km. It's being followed , I have not yet done 1000km in this.
But 750+km in 25 days looks over running only.
3. Also he suggested to use 60ml of oil per litre for first 2000 km atleast , Yes it is being followed, and so for bike is running good with out any problem.
Next Planned :
1. Though bike looks shiny and new, I dont like the different colors of tank and other parts of body.( tank is grey and body is black, But no one can diffrentaite it
just by looking with naked eye, But still want to change to grey or something else. But I havent decided the color yet).Planning to do it by next or next to next week.
2. There is problem with speedo,I have planned to change the meter itself ( Already ordered).
3. Old battery removed, and planning to put 11V battery with 11/6V condenser as this bike uses only 6V battery. Change of indicators to RX100.
4. Last week changed the rear view mirrors , But did not like it, and I had thrown away those two junk pieces and planning to change to avenger type mirror.
5. Number plate change as the one it has, looks very old, ( Purchased already Team-bhp stickers, to stick on it,)
6. If anything comes up,.... ..!?
Let me see, how it goes....
Some of the discomforts I felt are.
1. Suspension is not that great when compared to japanese bikes.
2. Head light brightness is not that great, I hope, it can be resolved , if I change the battery to new one.
3. Long, sorry, Verrrrry Long turning radious.
4. Seat is small, not confortable for co-rider.
Will come back to you once the next planned activites are done.
Mean time, any other suggestions from the roadking/classic/jawa owners will be greatly appretiated to improve the over all quality of the bike.
( NOT the modifications, I want to ride it with original look )
|2nd July 2009, 13:50||#5|
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore( But Nomore gardens)
Thanked: 7 Times
I haven't taken any pictures so for. This week I will try to take and upload some pictures of my bike.
|2nd July 2009, 16:53||#6|
Join Date: Jan 2006
Thanked: 62 Times
The suspention on the roadking was never great when compared to japanies bikes or even the enfields. You can try rear shocks from the enfield and that may help a bit (old type shoks) , I think the front suspention can also be borrowed from the enfield.
If the bike is 6V then there is nothing much you can do about the headlight you can get a new reflector. I have never seen a 12V converted roadking.
Keep some basic tools with the bike you will need them, do get a fule filter glass type the carb on the roadking dose not like water in the fuel. Be gentle with the gears, though the gearbox is eazy to fix but finding new gears can be an issue and the gears do get worn out sooner that other bikes.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007||zteg||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||23||23rd November 2012 21:20|
|Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9||Ravveendrra||Long-Term Ownership Reviews||217||3rd August 2011 19:26|
|Acquired!!!! RXZ - 5 Speed||alok_balsekar||Motorbikes||13||13th April 2010 10:25|
|Yamaha RX-Z acquired !!!!||hillram||Motorbikes||21||8th May 2009 01:23|