Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th August 2009, 20:23   #16
BHPian

i own one and i love it, sadly i cannot take it to bed with me

A personal cleaning is a must for this chromed locomotive.
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 22:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This Caught my Attention, I need to ride one soon now as the only time I have experienced this was on an RD 350 LT
Well, where the RD blows you away with its dramatic surge of power and acceleration, exhausts screaming, you screaming, onlookers screaming, tyres screaming! the LB500 will appear much more sedate. The difference between a two-stroke twin and a four stroke(long strokes at that) single are just too many to equate them.The LB is quick, for a bullet. The RD's though, are just insanely quicker.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 23:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This Caught my Attention, I need to ride one soon now as the only time I have experienced this was on an RD 350 LT
350 LT is like the thrust of a boeing 737 , 500LB is like a locomotive , u see the difference?

@blurust : Congrats !
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 09:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post

1. Seat is too soft and spongy, doesn't help on long rides, hurts badly actually.

I don't think so.
2. Rear suspension is not great, there's noticeable boing-ing around when you hit up-ramps at an angle etc, so turns at high speed need to be planned and judged in advance.

Adjust preload to stiffer settings.

6. Clutch plates are prone to wear in the city. The clutch assembly hasn't had any significant technical advancement since the old days. The amount of power this engine puts down really eats into maintenance bills. Keep an eye on clutch wear, rear brake wear, oil levels and the wheel rims.

Also, don't hold the clutch for more than 5 seconds, with the engine running. This advise is from the Pete Snidal manual.

8. Kick starting this monster isn't as easy as the 350. Way too much effort needed. The electric starter is a must-have, must-keep-it-working-in-good-nick feature.

I have disabled the ES and it is very easy kicking the LB500 to life, but only if you use the correct technique.

Cheers,
Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 10:07   #20
BHPian

My replies in Bold..

@sriku:

1. Seat is too soft and spongy, doesn't help on long rides, hurts badly actually. You may want to get a custom seat done. You'll need saddle bags and tank bags for your long rides. These and other riding gear and accessories are available here. Yes you are absolutely right, even i thought it was too soft for long rides..will be changing it mostly after the run in..I want to get the split seats but i am not sure who will do a neat job on it. Have already planned for riding gear from these guys, they have a shop in mumbai in town i think, i need to check that.
2. Rear suspension is not great, there's noticeable boing-ing around when you hit up-ramps at an angle etc, so turns at high speed need to be planned and judged in advance. Point taken my friend.

3. The sound is muffled so much, it doesn't sound like a Bull. But this can be taken care of easily. Contact Malik, who runs an Enfield Authorised service center in Kurla, PM me if you need his number. I totally agree on this one as well, i think bull riders recommend three changes for this, rendering the PAV useless, removing the catcon, and a short bottle silencer ? i am not sure though if i need to upjet for a short bottle silencer.? honorable bull riders please tell me if i am right. P.S - thanks for the number brother, ill pm you when i need it.

4. Chrome all over the place is fantastic to look at, but a pain to clean and keep rust free. you bet brother.

5. Clutch plates are prone to wear in the city. The clutch assembly hasn't had any significant technical advancement since the old days. The amount of power this engine puts down really eats into maintenance bills. Keep an eye on clutch wear, rear brake wear, oil levels and the wheel rims.For this one i have thought ill keep a bottle of engine oil handy and will keep toping it up, plus a regular change at 1000 km's .

6. Invest 2 hours every Sunday to wash/scrub/polish the bike. Without this, it'll turn into a dusty, muddy, dull lump of metal. I learnt the hard way that neglecting the wash schedule for even 2 weeks built up so much hardened crud everywhere, that my fingers were raw by the time I got through cleaning. I am ready to pamper her every weekend religiously for this.

You already know the pro's. I know of 4 guys who did the Delhi-Leh-Marsimik La ride on 2 Std 350's, an Avenger 200 and the CI 500. Only the CI 500 and the Avenger made it up Marsimik La. I have no doubts that the LB 500 can do it too. The sheer torque delivery is more train-like than a two wheeler. Its still borrowed whenever I need to do 500+ kms. This bike is a keeper. Get her, keep her healthy, and you'll never need another. thank you brother..ill keep her healthy and wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
350 LT is like the thrust of a boeing 737 , 500LB is like a locomotive , u see the difference?

@blurust : Congrats !
RD 350 lt is a lunatic, its like a tarmac eating raw robot on two wheels me thinks and LB 500 like you said pulls like a locomotive.. thanks Devil !

@JayPrashanth

I have disabled the ES and it is very easy kicking the LB500 to life, but only if you use the correct technique. even i found kickstarting it pretty smooth , no problems there.

@MumBiker..

i own one and i love it, sadly i cannot take it to bed with me

A personal cleaning is a must for this chromed locomotive.

Damn right brother.

@Technocrat.

Congrats blurust,

Do take lots of pictures & post them here once you get the Delivery

Thanks techno, I am going to post as many pictures as i can as soon as i get her.

@All

Thanks a lot guys.

Happy Riding.

@jayprasanth

Also, don't hold the clutch for more than 5 seconds, with the engine running. This advise is from the Pete Snidal manual.

Just curious guys, help me on this one.

For Running her in, which one should i follow, The Pete's manual or the RE manual ??
Thanks in advance.

Happy riding.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st August 2009 at 10:45. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
blurust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 13:38   #21
BHPian

Thumbs up

@JayPrashanth: Good points Sir. The preload is usually set for an 80kg rider. And I used to be that weight back in school. Adjusting the preload changes the handling characteristics though, and I think its best done after the rider has gauged his requirements. The bike is tall, the wheels bigger and with a too firm setup can hurt more than help.

About the clutch, you are spot on again, but in the city its not always possible to shift back to neutral each time. With practice and planning its possible to some extent, but the wear is unavoidable IMO.

On the ES, I'm also used to the kickstart procedure, but the ES is so much easier in traffic signals, and other stop-switch off-go situations. Curious why you've disabled it entirely? There are guys I know who get it fitted aftermarket in bulls without ES, spending a pretty penny. I'm all for the kick start in the mornings and when the bike is cold, but the ES remains a fantastic convenience that is well worth the price tag.

Thanks for your points, and thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Old 21st August 2009, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Agree totally about the ES with you sriku!

and yes Congrats to you blurust.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 15:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post

For Running her in, which one should i follow, The Pete's manual or the RE manual ??
Tons of very useful material on the enfield USA site. Lot of DIY guys there, and there is a lot of wisdom there about good running in practices specific to Bullets.

Quote:
On the ES, I'm also used to the kickstart procedure, but the ES is so much easier in traffic signals, and other stop-switch off-go situations. Curious why you've disabled it entirely? There are guys I know who get it fitted aftermarket in bulls without ES, spending a pretty penny. I'm all for the kick start in the mornings and when the bike is cold, but the ES remains a fantastic convenience that is well worth the price tag.

Cheers,
. I have retained my ES for just such use, and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years now. Give it all the breaks you give yourself when you kick over with your leg, and it will work very well.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st August 2009 at 17:25.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Agree totally about the ES with you sriku!

and yes Congrats to you blurust.

Thanks man !

So, The latest update says that the bike has arrived in the showroom, the PDI has been done by the RE guys, I saw the bike, Did not get a chance to ride it though as the payment has not been made completely by the bank, I will surely do a PDI the day i pick her up, The tail lamp had like a hole in it which i brought to there notice and they will be replacing it. Everything else is looking pretty promising.

About the Engine oil. They said they use 20w40 for 500 lb..any idea if this is okay for the bike, All i know is that we should use natural till she is in a run in..??

Happy riding guys.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Try getting some accessories off the dealers for free. You are a privileged customer, not many 500LB's are being sold across India. Each dealer has a 5-7k budget for discount/accessories. A friend managed to get the coffee table book commemorating the 50yrs of Enfield. Fantastic book that is, I use it to get color scheme ideas for my rebuilds. The cafe racers on display in that book are just awesome. Congrats on the purchase, now we'll be waiting for pics of the bike and your helmet! And yeah, you've got to give her a name!

Cheers,
Old 24th August 2009, 17:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Each dealer has a 5-7k budget for discount/accessories. Cheers,
really? may i ask the source of this info? i did not know that companies give dealers a special budget for each bike for discounts.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
really? may i ask the source of this info? i did not know that companies give dealers a special budget for each bike for discounts.
Could be possible for stock clearance, as the new Machismo with an UCE is supposedly due. But this is pure speculation on my side.

The New Machismo 500 with UCE can be seen here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1438277 (Royal Enfield AVL 500 launched @ 1.05lac)
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
Thanks man !

About the Engine oil. They said they use 20w40 for 500 lb..any idea if this is okay for the bike, All i know is that we should use natural till she is in a run in..??

Happy riding guys.
20W40 is perfectly fine. And I assume you mean mineral rather than natural.

BTW, here is another PDI tip. Stand on the kickstarter and check compression. This is because, a couple of LB500s had decomp issues while I took delivery of my own LB500. And personally check the oil levels, battery fluid level, disc brake fluid level before taking delivery. Importantly, you need to take it for a longish ride before you take ownership.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 09:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
20W40 is perfectly fine. And I assume you mean mineral rather than natural.

BTW, here is another PDI tip. Stand on the kickstarter and check compression. This is because, a couple of LB500s had decomp issues while I took delivery of my own LB500. And personally check the oil levels, battery fluid level, disc brake fluid level before taking delivery. Importantly, you need to take it for a longish ride before you take ownership.

Cheers,

Jay
Yes , thanks for correcting , Mineral was in my mouth and natural was in my head so i wrote natural.

Thanks for the tip bro, ill surely keep all this in mind, and if i may ask which brand is better for mineral oil ??

thanks in advance.

hey guys,

A little help regarding teflon coating the bike ?? Any idea suggestions who can do a neat job on it ??

Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th August 2009 at 16:51.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid any teflon sheflon stuff.

Buy a good wax & do a DIY on a weekend. It will yield same or better results without any swirl marks that the teflon guy will leave on your Bike.
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote