Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th July 2009, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Default Buying a Dug Dugi..!! Machismo 500 LB - Edit : Roxanne is in the house.

Hey Guys,

A very good morning to all of you geniuses.
Its a lovely day here..not raining anymore so i decided i should post this thread as i was trying to post this a long time ago.

Okay jumping to the topic,I have been a proud owner of the first generation honda unicorn for four sweet years but now i want to upgrade, my basic requuirement is commuting from my house to office and hardcore weekend rides to all the places i can go around bombay, I am planing to get myself a Royal Enfield Bullet. Can't believe i have waited for this day for close to 6 years.
Now the question arises which one ?

So, here goes.

PLease note, everything in this thread is my opinion, I dont intend to offend anyone.

Bullet Standard 350 - I love the way it is, just everything about it, the thumb, the bulk, the beautiful classic styling, the hand made gold striping, and the vibrations, as i feel the bullet is not a bullet unless it vibrates every second to remind you that we are munching miles.

Bullet Electra 5s - i love the feel, the colors and the old CI engine but somehow i just wanted more. So i decided to leave electra alone. When it comes to the cast Iron engines i prefer standard anyday than electra.

Bullet thunderbird twin spark - I love the feel, the confortability and the ride, I know it sounds wierd with that mechanical clatter, but i figured i can live with that. Personally I am not very impressed with the looks but thats another story.

Now Comes the Daddy( Read Bullet Machismo 500 ) - I love it, I love it and I love it.The color, the feel, the presence, the ride, the torque, just about everything, and its reliability as compared to the CI engines.

So i have decided on geting myself a black machismo 500 lb. I intially wanted the alberto green color but one day i saw it in person with the guy who, i think had never thought of maintaining it and it looked horrible and that day on i decided on geting a black one, and two months delivery, as its not available readily, and i dont have that much patience.

Now the issue is that i wanted it on loan and the brand showroom guys told me that they do not do finance, so i started looking for other options.
I approached hdfc and the rate of interest is 11.90% for a yr, I spoke to the representative and he said he would let me know by the next day about the emi's and if i have a preapproved loan. Four days passed away and no follow up, Anyway i deccided to check out other options so there is this auto shop called S.K Auto shop on the goregaon-malad link road. They deal in all new and second hand motorcycles. Does anybody have any idea how good or bad these people are ? . The guy quoted me 40 k down payment and rest as emi's for a year at a rate of interest of 8.90 %, which i think is awesome.

My problem is that are they any good, I dont want to deal with someone who does not know how much we love our bikes, and just on the day of delivery the guy who rides the bike from the dropout point which happens to be bhiwandi ripps the engine and rides like a maniac.

The loan scheme sounds fantastic, they promised indicator buzzer, garage cover, teflon coating, helmet and seat cover.

Please all you guys any suggestions, comments or doubts, regarding the bike, ownership experience and the auto dealer, i mean should i get it from that guy or no, let it pour. Please share your experiences about geting a bike from a non brand store.

Cheers !
blurust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

hi blurust,
my reply's in bold
  1. Bullet Standard 350 - the daddy of them all
  1. bullet Electra 5s - i prefer standard anyday than electra.
  2. Bullet thunderbird twin spark - comfert + modern + royal enfield (belive me )
  3. Bullet Machismo 500 - not my personal choice insted buy thunderbird twin spark
  4. loan - no ideas about it
so my advice is either std 350 or twin spark Thunderbird .

why T B, after unicorn twin spark Thunderbird is the only choice. it will give you advantage of both worlds.

why 350 std ,you will not be able to buy a vintage bike at showroom any more , until you can please do buy them.
congrats if you have bought it or best of luck if you are going to buy it.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 13:17   #3
BHPian

The TB twin spark SUCKS. The sound from the stock silencer is atrocious to say the least: sounds nothing like an Enfield.

And there are lots of stories about problems with its starter motors etc.

I would say go for a Electra 5S or even the Std 350.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

blurust, a good choice according to me, TB twin spark needs more time to settle. With RE any bike which is newly launched should be gien good time...else be ready to be a tester

LB 500 is good and a quicky, am sure you will love it. its a perfect highway machine!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
a good choice according to me, TB twin spark needs more time to settle. With RE any bike which is newly launched should be gien good time...else be ready to be a tester

LB 500 is good and a quicky, am sure you will love it. its a perfect highway machine!
Thanks man, you are right lb 500 is tried and tested, any idea if i should get it from that auto sales guy though ?

Quote:
And there are lots of stories about problems with its starter motors etc.
hey bro, the starter problem is rectified with TCI now, which comes fitted in the lb 500 and thunderbird. So no faulty sprag clutch now

Thanks for the coments guys,

Keep it coming,

Cheers !!
Old 20th August 2009, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Default Edit : Booked it , Awaiting delivery.

hi guys,

So I am all set to take the delivery of my new 500 lb next week, black color.

The booking procedure was pretty plain and easy, no hassles. 10k was the booking amount. The brand store in Bandra already had a bike in stock so they said the delivery should be pretty smooth and fast and they gave me a weeks time for everything including the passing, which according to them takes around three days. Everything went down pretty smooth, thanks to nilesh (manager) of the bandra brand store. he handled almost everything pretty smoothly. The only issue i have faced till now was the day i was supposed to go and pay the DP i wanted to see the bike and they said the bike will be there, but it was not.
Upon asking they said that some officials are not letting the truck through as they want them to pay the VAT there, which apparently is paid by the customer at the time of the sale, which was weird and nilesh told me they just wanted to eat money on top of the octroi..

well but that was solved and so the bike was there in the showroom yesterday and i got a call from the brand store and was given the engine number.

so thats that, only minor errs and nothing else.

Overall im pretty excited to get her, just cant wait.

P.S - According to the brand store , classic is due for next year june lanch in india ??, with a price tag of 1.35 on road in mumbai ?? can anybody verify this ??
Old 20th August 2009, 12:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post

well but that was solved and so the bike was there in the showroom yesterday and i got a call from the brand store and was given the engine number.

so thats that, only minor errs and nothing else.

Overall im pretty excited to get her, just cant wait.

P.S - According to the brand store , classic is due for next year june lanch in india ??, with a price tag of 1.35 on road in mumbai ?? can anybody verify this ??
Congrats!

How much is the 500LB OTR? I expected it to cost 1.35 though; not surprised.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 12:39   #8
BHPian

LB LB LB 500 all the way. dont wait to get your hands around this machine.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 13:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats!

How much is the 500LB OTR? I expected it to cost 1.35 though; not surprised.
well here in mumbai its 118404 OTR..

Thanks Man !
Old 20th August 2009, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Hey buddy,

Hope you are enjoying your beautifull machine , I have seen a few 500 LB's at the Royal Enfield service center opp Mahim station (W) in superb state of tune (super silent).

I too have had a pretty good experience with them.

I highly recommend that you go visit them once. (first service)

Just an advice, because I just bought a 05 Electra 4S which he fine tuned for me.

Enjoy,
Ride safe.
chintan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 16:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

My 500 is now close to 2 years old, and apart from a few electrical glitches, has worked flawlessly. It is now a very sweet ride. I have not modded it in anyway, and I ran it in very very carefully, without babying it. With oil changes at 500kms and 1000 kms. I believe these two things are key to reliability, the latter more than the former.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 17:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very good choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy lot of great moments on it without much of the problems. Just keep it well, and try to find good mechanics. I've only faced problems in my bike thanks to those are supposed to mend them.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:34   #13
BHPian

Default Go for it!

We (my brothers and I) own a Green 500LB, one of the last of the first batch of 500 sold in India. I've ridden the 500 LB from Mumbai to Kolhapur on the old Pune-Bangy highway, two of us weighing 100+ each, and the bike was spectacular all the way. The trip back, I was riding solo, and my brother brought back his race spec Karizma, (Stage 2 cam, valve springs, air intake etc), and we pushed both bikes to the limit. The Zma managed an indicated 130 kmph, with me on the LB 500 not too far behind, for miles on end. This bike has serious pulling power, and is fantastic for touring, in fact, the best 250+ cc tourer made in India. Here's my list of cons though:

1. Seat is too soft and spongy, doesn't help on long rides, hurts badly actually. You may want to get a custom seat done. You'll need saddle bags and tank bags for your long rides. These and other riding gear and accessories are available here. I've used their products, and am a happy return customer.
2. Rear suspension is not great, there's noticeable boing-ing around when you hit up-ramps at an angle etc, so turns at high speed need to be planned and judged in advance.
3. The sound is muffled so much, it doesn't sound like a Bull. But this can be taken care of easily. Contact Malik, who runs an Enfield Authorised service center in Kurla, PM me if you need his number.
4. Chrome all over the place is fantastic to look at, but a pain to clean and keep rust free.
5. For some reason, all our Bullets are more prone to punctures. I've had 3 punctures on 3 different Bulls in 2 days. Doesn't help that the tyres aren't tubeless. Or that they weigh a ton! You need to learn to remove the rear and front tyres, so you can transport them to the nearest tyre shop. I do this rather than trying to push this behemoth.
6. Clutch plates are prone to wear in the city. The clutch assembly hasn't had any significant technical advancement since the old days. The amount of power this engine puts down really eats into maintenance bills. Keep an eye on clutch wear, rear brake wear, oil levels and the wheel rims.
7. Invest 2 hours every Sunday to wash/scrub/polish the bike. Without this, it'll turn into a dusty, muddy, dull lump of metal. I learnt the hard way that neglecting the wash schedule for even 2 weeks built up so much hardened crud everywhere, that my fingers were raw by the time I got through cleaning.
8. Kick starting this monster isn't as easy as the 350. Way too much effort needed. The electric starter is a must-have, must-keep-it-working-in-good-nick feature.

You already know the pro's. I know of 4 guys who did the Delhi-Leh-Marsimik La ride on 2 Std 350's, an Avenger 200 and the CI 500. Only the CI 500 and the Avenger made it up Marsimik La. I have no doubts that the LB 500 can do it too. The sheer torque delivery is more train-like than a two wheeler. Its still borrowed whenever I need to do 500+ kms. This bike is a keeper. Get her, keep her healthy, and you'll never need another.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 20:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Get her, keep her healthy, and you'll never need another.
, a solid performer, pulls like a locomotive! And the way to keep her in good shape is to never allow dirt to accumulate. Kerosene with a stiff brush on all engine/crankcase/gearbox externals works like a charm! Change the engine and clutch oil frequently, keep the clutch cable well oiled, ditto for the open chain, is about all you need to do.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 20:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats blurust,

Do take lots of pictures & post them here once you get the Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
, a solid performer, pulls like a locomotive!.
This Caught my Attention, I need to ride one soon now as the only time I have experienced this was on an RD 350 LT
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote