Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 08:37   #1
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default Bullet 350 Std VS Electra 5S

Hey Guys, I am contemplating buying a bullet, and after much consideration have ruled out the AVL engine and want to buy something with a CI engine. I hpe Electra 5S and 350 std still have the CI engines.

Now comparing these two bikes on the official website, there are two noticeable difference :

1. Ignition - Electra has Transistor Coil Ignition and 350 has Contact Breaker Point.
2. Transmission - Electra has 5 Speed (left foot gear shift) and 350 has 4 Speed (right foot gear shift).

Now transmission is ok, but can someone explain the difference between the ignition systems ? Is it really a deal maker in favor of Electra ?

Secondly, does anyone know is Disc brakes can be installed in a 350 std ?
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 09:36   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,420
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Electra 5s. There are loads of other differences apart from the ignition and transmission. Namely:

- chrome mirrors
- chrome mudguards
- metallic paint
- disc brake
- gas rear shocks
- Electric start
- I think its got 5 clutch plates compared to the 4 in std

Its a much better deal compared to the 80k for the Std 350.

Royal Enfield does provide disc brake kits for all of their bikes.

Last edited by Gordon : 11th July 2009 at 09:39.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 10:02   #3
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

I am planning on visiting the dealer in next few hours, so will check out the prices and value for money factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Electra 5s. There are loads of other differences apart from the ignition and transmission. Namely:

- chrome mirrors
- chrome mudguards
- metallic paint
It doesn't mater much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
- disc brake
- gas rear shocks
- Electric start
- I think its got 5 clutch plates compared to the 4 in std
As you have mentioned that disc brakes can be fitted, std also have gas rear shocks.

Now i Do not understand what you mean by 5 and 4 clutch plates ? are we talking about transmission ?
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 10:50   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 182
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Hey Guys, I am contemplating buying a bullet, and after much consideration have ruled out the AVL engine and want to buy something with a CI engine. I hpe Electra 5S and 350 std still have the CI engines.

Now comparing these two bikes on the official website, there are two noticeable difference :

1. Ignition - Electra has Transistor Coil Ignition and 350 has Contact Breaker Point.
2. Transmission - Electra has 5 Speed (left foot gear shift) and 350 has 4 Speed (right foot gear shift).

Now transmission is ok, but can someone explain the difference between the ignition systems ? Is it really a deal maker in favor of Electra ?

Secondly, does anyone know is Disc brakes can be installed in a 350 std ?
Yes, Disc Brakes can be added in 350 STD... for some 5-6k.
tarunmadhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 12:07   #5
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 779
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
1. Ignition - Electra has Transistor Coil Ignition and 350 has Contact Breaker Point.
Transistor coil ignition (TCI) is a 0 (very little) maintenance setup. Does not foul easily even in rains. Downside is it is not adjustable meaning you can not advance or retard the timings if you wish to change it per your riding style/conditions.

Contact Breaker (CB) is an old inexpensive mechansim. It needs periodic attention- clean points, maintain gaps etc. It can foul more easily than TCI. Plus point is you can customize the timings.

If you have CB, it is better to pick up some mechanical skills to troubleshoot and maintain it yourself. If you want a "fill it, shut it" kind of experience go for TCI based Electra 5s.

IIRC, REI used to sell a TCI conversion kit for for CB points system. However, if you want a TCI, it is better to go for factory fitted TCI on Electra than buying a std and converting it to TCI.

There is also subtle difference in how clutch setup/cables are arranged in Std vs Electra. I am told std clutch cables are prone to failure, however, on my 3.5 years, 12.3k kms old Electra, the cable gave in only once.

The five gears are closely spaced in Electra 5s and it is generally easier to drive in city while highway ride would be similar to Std.

For me the main decision to chose Electra over Std was familiar left shift gear/RHS rear brake. I was riding this setup for over 10 years before I got my Electra and hence, I was reluctant to try the opposite setup of std bullets.

Hope it helps,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 12:44   #6
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

Thanks BJ, I am familiar with both sides of gear/brake setup. However I still find the charm in left side brakes.

My knowledge is very limited in Bullet, can you please tell me what do you mean by customizing the timing ? I mean how does effects once ride quality or life in general.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 19:08   #7
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

I just came back from the Bullet Dealership. And to my Surprise Electra 4S is still available on booking (1 week they said), so now that rules out standard foe me, as the main reason for option for standard was LHS brakes and RHS gears. And in 4S its the same configuration. Here are the rates :

1. Bullet 350CC - 75400 on road
2. Electra 4S - 79400
3. Electra 5S - 79400
4. Electra 5S (Disc and ES) - 89000

However the only glitch is that they do not have ES in 4S and cannot fit as well, however they can retrofit the Disc for around 7K.

Now I guess the title of the thread should be changed to 4S Vs 5S
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 20:55   #8
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 779
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Electra 4S is still available on booking (1 week they said), so now that rules out standard foe me, as the main reason for option for standard was LHS brakes and RHS gears.
...
Now I guess the title of the thread should be changed to 4S Vs 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I am familiar with both sides of gear/brake setup. However I still find the charm in left side brakes.
Follow your heart. Since, you like classic bullet configuration of gear shift and brakes- go for 4S. You will not regret it. Just a little tip 4S uses the same gear box from old std- they are prone to leak- minor issue for a bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
can you please tell me what do you mean by customizing the timing ? I mean how does effects once ride quality or life in general.
Please allow me to quiz you first

1. What is TDC and BDC?

If you didn't answer "Top-Dead-Center" and "Bottom-Dead-Center" then, my friend you would need to go through automobile engineering theory 101. Begin your class here Contact breaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here Ignition Timing for Better Fuel Economy - Strategies & Techniques - Rod and Custom Magazine

It is a similar thingy called "distributor" in cars of yore. The difference is in number of cylinders. Cars, except Tata Nano, have usually 3+ (current is distributed between cylinders in some finite firing order- hence the term) while bullet has a single cylinder- no distributor. In a nutshell, by tweaking the CB gap/angle you can advance and retard the spark plug firing (ignition timing) causing the engine to behave and perform differently. Depending on your needs, e.g. for high speed and high load riding you may like to advance the timing. Do opposite if you like the sedate ride and fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
However the only glitch is that they do not have ES in 4S and cannot fit as well,
You like old world charm of Bullets?
Don't contradict yourself with ES. It is useful for emergencies otherwise you can manage with kicks just fine- just practice. It is easy. ES motor adds a bit of clatter too and demands a bigger, stronger and healthier battery.

Join some Bullet specific forums on the net e.g. Bulletech on yahoogroups, to learn more about Bullets. If you would not like to (learn and) tinker with these things and hate grease and oil- stay away from (std) bullets.

-BJ


Last edited by bj96 : 11th July 2009 at 21:15. Reason: Added note on ES
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 23:21   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Hey Shashank,

i wanted to keep mum on this one, but seems that you are going in for a brand new bullet. letely we have bought a brand new bullet it is just so damn noisey. it is not a quiet as a normal standard just to clerify things we have check out with some other people with a similar kinda experience.

now coming to the bullet question that you have.

IMO the STD is better one
- It has a customisable Ignition.
- If you dont like the points go for a Point replacement Kit. that is being made by Autoescorts Bombay.
- Disk Brake can easily be added to the bullet.
- Buy A standard cause IMO that looks like a real bullet when compared to all these coloured ones. (Not intended to hurt any one)
- Buy a good second hand one. will save a lot of money and better build quality as compared to the new ones.

BUT STANDARD IS THE WAY TO GO.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 23:32   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Join some Bullet specific forums on the net e.g. Bulletech on yahoogroups, to learn more about Bullets. If you would not like to (learn and) tinker with these things and hate grease and oil- stay away from (std) bullets.

-BJ
I had both the 500 AVL ( Machismo ) and the 350 Electra 5s. Sold the Electra. The clutch cover never quite stopped leaking oil. Also the CI engine block rusts in a hurry. The 500 is very very leak proof. Rust proof too. Mystery to me why RE could not transfer learnings such as this across product lines. But for city ( lower top and average speed ) rides, the Electra is a sweet sweet bike. The 500 comes into its own on open roads where it hold 80-100 kmph speeds without sounding stressed. So, which one you buy tends to be dictated by your tastes and use planned.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 19:47   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
1. Ignition - Electra has Transistor Coil Ignition and 350 has Contact Breaker Point.
2. Transmission - Electra has 5 Speed (left foot gear shift) and 350 has 4 Speed (right foot gear shift).

Secondly, does anyone know is Disc brakes can be installed in a 350 std ?
Dont worry about the gear shift too much
You just need a few days to get adjusted to the right gear shift
Initially just conciously keep in mind to remember "right gears"

Yes, if you are willing to spend, you can get a disc fitted in the front and the rear of the std 350

If you dont like hassles and dont like working too much on the bike go for the Electra 5s
avi.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi.k View Post
Dont worry about the gear shift too much
You just need a few days to get adjusted to the right gear shift
Initially just conciously keep in mind to remember "right gears"

Yes, if you are willing to spend, you can get a disc fitted in the front and the rear of the std 350

If you dont like hassles and dont like working too much on the bike go for the Electra 5s
I personally would say just for 15 minutes you have to remember the gear format and thats all good after taht
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:40   #13
BHPian
 
MumBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 89
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Forget about on which side the gear/brake is :

Look at the facts as Gordon Mentioned :

- chrome mirrors
- chrome mudguards
- metallic paint
- disc brake
- gas rear shocks
- Electric start

Newer Style Fork and a 5 Speed Gearbox.

For about 16k more i doubt whether you can add all that
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:56   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Another angle on why the right foot gear shifters are a good idea - not too many people will ask to ride your bike on a casual basis, because this puts most people off! I know one person who opted for it for just this reason.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Another angle on why the right foot gear shifters are a good idea - not too many people will ask to ride your bike on a casual basis, because this puts most people off! I know one person who opted for it for just this reason.
This is a very nice thing about it really not many people ever ask for my bullet and if they ask for the yamaha i just have to say no that makes me a mean person :P
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullet Std 350- stuck gear topedgemonk Motorbikes 3 21st June 2015 14:26
Advice needed on buying a bullet std 350 Edit - Now Delivered sudheermenon Motorbikes 82 16th December 2011 12:02
Std 350? Hmmm Electra 5s? Or Mach 350? vinit.merchant Motorbikes 38 10th August 2009 13:57
Bullet 350/Electra 4S/ Electra 5S neoisme Motorbikes 23 16th June 2009 17:24
Taking a Brand new 'classic' - RE Bullet 350 Std sam_sant2005 Motorbikes 65 15th May 2009 21:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks