Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th July 2009, 14:21   #16
BHPian

Hey MumBiker..

Thats one tempting locomotive at an even tempting price.I am searching for a similar deal but i guess luck plays its part, hope i get mine soon.

I suggest you get rid of the starter (anyways it will keep blowing at frequent intervals) you will have to KS your bike but it will lower the engine noise.

Great Ride Bro.
Ride safe.
chintan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 14:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintan15 View Post

I suggest you get rid of the starter (anyways it will keep blowing at frequent intervals) you will have to KS your bike but it will lower the engine noise.
I haven't blown mine even once though I do follow a good start up procedure. And what's the theory behind reducing engine noise? Never heard that one before.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I haven't blown mine even once though I do follow a good start up procedure. And what's the theory behind reducing engine noise? Never heard that one before.
Hey, it would be great to know your ideal startup procedure
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 16:22   #19
BHPian

Default congrats

Oh btw! Congrats for the bull !
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 16:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumBiker View Post
Hey, it would be great to know your ideal startup procedure
The generic details on how to start a bullet are there on the net, if you want to know.
To take care of the ES, first thing is to never use it in the morning, on a cold bike, use your foot. And if you must use it, basically give the motor the same break that you give your leg - get the piston just past TDC on the compression stroke with your leg, and then hit the button, so that the start up load on the motor/gear is reduced. And it also helps if you use the decompressor valve and keep it open till the motor builds some revs and then let the valve close. But this works well on the standard, the decompressor on the 500 AVL works in a different way, so this is not such a good idea for the 500 AVL that the Machismo has. Finally, if it does not start, resist the temptation of mashing the start button till it does. In good tune, the bike should fire in just a dab of the button.
Re the crash guards, the bikes abroad have these installed to protect the engines that have a lot of width in a multi or opposed cylinder bike. Leg protection is not their function, and well designed ones would make sure that in protecting the engine, they do not trap the rider's legs.

Last edited by Sawyer : 20th July 2009 at 16:49. Reason: Additional paragraph
Old 21st July 2009, 00:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sawyer,
Nice to know that you too own one such monster may be you are one of the lucky few owners whose starter is still working fine but i have come across many who arent that happy with the starter mechanism.

The noise funda was told to me by a respectable Royal Enfield service centre head.

Quote:
The generic details on how to start a bullet are there on the net, if you want to know.
To take care of the ES, first thing is to never use it in the morning, on a cold bike, use your foot. And if you must use it, basically give the motor the same break that you give your leg - get the piston just past TDC on the compression stroke with your leg, and then hit the button, so that the start up load on the motor/gear is reduced. And it also helps if you use the decompressor valve and keep it open till the motor builds some revs and then let the valve close. But this works well on the standard, the decompressor on the 500 AVL works in a different way, so this is not such a good idea for the 500 AVL that the Machismo has. Finally, if it does not start, resist the temptation of mashing the start button till it does. In good tune, the bike should fire in just a dab of the button.
Even I used to think that it would help the ES live long if the bike would be KSed during cold starts but after meeting a couple of 500 LB owners who were pissed off with starter clutch/bearing blowing off (even after practising the manual cold start procedure) my belief changed. so the day i get my 500 LB i would be removing the ES.

There is a lot more to the 500 LB than its ES.

Ride safe.
chintan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 02:18   #22
BHPian

Awesome ride and its in a great condition. I got a 5K kms 350 Machismo (5gear) for one of my friends at a DROP DEAD BARGAIN price. He started with a big time DIY project and gave up mid way. The bike is getting wasted in his factory in Gurgaon now.
I wonder what someone like you, could have done to that sweet ride.
hmishra83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 07:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintan15 View Post

Ride safe.
That's for sure.
Remember though that the engine is a lot more difficult to kick through TDC than the standard 350, and unlike the standard, the decompress lever works in a different way - it kicks in to hold the valve open after you have gotten it to open first, unlike the standard where it activates a different valve, releasing compression pressure instantly. And the mechanical clatter of the 500 AVL will always be more than the standard, because of the engine material. But that clatter is heard only by the rider, passers by hear the beat even using the stock pipe. Muted, but still unmistakeably Bullet
Good luck!
Old 21st July 2009, 09:09   #24
BHPian

Wink

Thanks Sawyer for those startup notes and i am really thankful to you and all the folks who are providing their valuable inputs on this thread and elsewhere on this forum.

Now since this is my first Scrag Clutch replacement routine, i will do it and follow all thats been said to protect this "fragile" product of modernism.And well remember i bought the Mighty One to be friends with my mechanic

As for the crash/engine guard, i will allow it to stay though i personally don't like it. I will allow time to let me decide whether it stays or leaves.

Quote:
I wonder what someone like you, could have done to that sweet ride
hmishra83, I admire your love for the bull, don't worry though there are lots of bullet lovers here on this forum and elsewhere, i feel you will surely find one for your beloved one.

Quote:
Oh btw! Congrats for the bull
Thanks bantejas.

Quote:
Chintan15, how true, you have summed it up all in that one statement !!
Old 21st July 2009, 10:50   #25
BHPian

hey MUMBiker,

Do post pics of your bull at this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...re-please.html (All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please)
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 20:09   #26
BHPian

Thanks for pointing out that thread. I have posted my "Mighty One's" pics there [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Old 21st July 2009, 20:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Since you have used the two main kinds of non stock pipes, how do they differ in use? Why the Goldstar? I am still on a stock pipe, and am mulling over changing it to something meatier. At the same time, the stock pipe has great chrome, and is probably balanced to the intake end, so I am also reluctant to change. Any input?
Old 21st July 2009, 22:50   #28
BHPian

The one the bike had earlier was a 50's style silencer, fitted by the previous owner. i found that to be a bit loud. I prefer the Goldstar (With Glass Wool) for the sound/thump.

This is a nice guide you may have seen it earlier, thought i would point it to you incase you didn't : The Royal Enfield Bullet: Lubrication system
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link - this is one reason I have held back from touching the pipe. I also wanted to clean up the intake that has been messed up with in the interests of emissions control. But the air intake, the fuel pick up via the jet, and the exhaust path have to all be in balance for the engine to work well, and making any change in one usually requires the others to be tweaked as well, to keep the system optimized. The factory has a certain optimal combination in place that I am reluctant to disturb. But a cleaner path for the air, rejetting the carb to keep the air fuel mix correct, and allowing the higher volume of exhaust gases to be vented freely would take the performance up a significant notch. That would need a plug change, possibly. And the question to be then asked is, does the rest of the bike, like the clutch and the brakes, have what it takes to handle the extra power. So instead of going down that path, I think I will stay with the factory solution. For once, it is a reliable machine as Bullets go, and I will let it remain that way.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:01   #30
BHPian

Sawyer, I agree to what you have to say. The company labs are the best equipped to decide whats best for the machine with some end user feedback. Meanwhile we can only rely on the experience of fellow users, mechanics and enfield guru's

I am going to replace the PAV system with a blank nut and upjet + a plug change (NGK Iridium). Will keep my fingers crossed for the best result.