Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 19:32   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Arrow Advice with Mileage Issue - CD Deluxe

All right, almost two year back i took decision to part with my Black CBZ as i was i was hardly using bike.

However wanted a two wheeler around to be used once in blue moon. After research found, cheapest and best available CD Deluxe (Technically Splendour as there is no difference in engine specifications as per their brochure.).

Bike was around with less usage for 1.5 yrs. However, started using it when i got transferred to Metro and found it convenient to commute to office as it saves lot of time as compared to car.

Now problem is Mileage.

As per company and word of mouth , Splendour/CD Deluxe offers a good mileage, atleast 65-75 / lit. But mine never goes beyond 60 ! it is always 53-58.

How do i take average:

It is reserve to reserve. mostly for 10 to 11 liters. (Monthly Run 25*25=625 aprx.)

I always refill at same petrol pump , once in month , say 11 Liters.


I take good care as far as air pressure, oil change, servicing etc is concerned. Current reading is 13,000. Good enough to expect average.

Also ride properly in green zone with some exceptions :-). Single handed. Also opted for petrol lock to uncheck possibility of petrol theft

What bugs me ,on technical front, is "Even after doing all this, why mileage is 54-58 Only?" What is going wrong? Am i expecting too much from my ride?
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 19:41   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

1) FE is very sensitive to traffic conditions and riding style. Traffic conditions can affect FE by a reasonable margin. Is it that you are facing more traffic than what you used to face with Splendor ?

2) Fill in around 5 ltrs fuel and then check again. From my experience with Caliber and Zeus, fuel gets evaporated from tank when its exposed to heat ( and in Gujarat, the sun is too strong ). I have myself observed change in FE by around 3-5 kmpl. In summer its not more than 3 ltrs in tank and otherwise not more than 5-6 ltrs as evaporation is also a possibility in any season now in Gujarat.
Try this with same reserve to reserve method.

3) Get the bike serviced and ask them to check Carb specifically. Ask them to overhaul the carb. This is include all the cleaning and setting. Also check the air filter. I dont know about Hero Honda, but for my Zeus the spark plug replacement time is 10K Kms. Check for this also, but IMHO this will not matter much.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

In addition to the above, have them do a bottle test.

My Feb 2000 model Splendor (76500 KM on the odo - engine unopened till date) still gives me 67 KMPL. This is down from about 75 KMPL I was getting till the 62000 - 64000 mark. So your mileage is way too low. I ride at a constant 55 - 60 KMPH. But bumper to bumper traffic is very minimum and I am able to maintain constant speed, except for signal stops. Also always ride with a pillion as I drop and pick up my wife at her office on the way. I weigh in at 78 KG, wife will be about 51 KG, so weight is no issue.

I have been using premium petrol ever since it was introduced. Currently use Shell premium. Bike will be serviced at HHASS once every four months.I inflate the tyres 2 psi over prescribed limit. And the oil I use is always Hero Honda 4T+.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th August 2009 at 20:24.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 20:22   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

The Mileage you are getting is good, FE as mentioned by others depends on a lot of factors, including how much you weigh and do you ride often with a pillion.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 20:28   #5
BHPian
 
pradipk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 216
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Well explained by aaggoswami. But in addition to that following two things can be done for accurate FE.

1. As aaggoswami's suggestion, instead of full tank try couple of times with 2/3/4 lts of petrol. Out of all 4-5 samples take average. This will give more accuracy in normal city traffic.
2. For max FE that your bike can give, check proper air in both the wheels, make sure oil is enough & take bike to some remote place (best on highway) & instead of fuel tank use small bottle of 1/2 ltrs for petrol supply & measure your milage. this will give you max FE that your bike can give. This is what most service station people do.

Bottom line: whatever FE you get by second method will be your actuall max FE, forget about what company advertise. To increase more than that, you need to further tune your bike.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 12:37   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks a lot for all input.

In light of points raised, would lie to mention few more facts.

1. 95% times i ride alone. I weigh aprx 81 g.
2. Always service vehicle at HHASS and already taken up with them issue of average. And after servicing , it never shows any improvement.
3. I am also checking out possibility of "Quantiy Of petrol". However need to input "How to check if i am getting right quantity of petrol?"
4. About City traffic impact, I have also tried to take bike on long run lie 400 km, however there was small difference of 2-3 km highway.(may be due to 70+ speed.)
5. In city, i always ride in a way to use minimum brakes and gear shifting.

Main purpose of this exercise , i technically fail to understand, how come a 100cc engine is yielding such low efficiency? that to when , technology is coming from HH - having proven track of good mileage lie splendour.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 20:42   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
2. Always service vehicle at HHASS and already taken up with them issue of average. And after servicing , it never shows any improvement.

3. I am also checking out possibility of "Quantiy Of petrol". However need to input "How to check if i am getting right quantity of petrol?"

4. About City traffic impact, I have also tried to take bike on long run lie 400 km, however there was small difference of 2-3 km highway.(may be due to 70+ speed.)

5. In city, i always ride in a way to use minimum brakes and gear shifting.

Main purpose of this exercise , i technically fail to understand, how come a 100cc engine is yielding such low efficiency?
2) May be you can try other A.S & S. or your bike is in its optimum state of tune. Do you feel that your clutch is slipping ?

3) This is also a possibility. Try changing the fuel station. Sometimes this can be a difference maker too. Forgot to mention this from my earlier Caliber days.

4) If at 70 kmph+ riding you are able to get 2-3 kmpl difference, then IMHO, its the traffic conditions that are playing havoc here.
All 100cc hero honda bikes are not very powerful units. They are geared quite low and hence after 60 kmph, actually I have felt that the units are doing quite high rpm. After riding caliber or my Zeus, I have always felt that HH 100cc bikes have their clutch slipping.
Example : Caliber did 12.5 kmph /1000rpm. Zeus does 12.8. HH 100cc bikes are doing less kmph/1000rpm.

Try to ride the bike at a more sedate 55-60 kmph. This will actually give you the best FE result for comparison.

5) I have doubt on your clutch then. Also get the complete bike checked. If you are riding in FE centric manner with just reasonable amount of traffic, then check your clutch. If that is OK, ask HHASS to look into engine if there is some problem or not.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 11:24   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for revert.

I am also planning a bottle test as i suspect i am not getting correct fuel quantity. However i could not buy bottle at most of automobile shops in pune. Any idea where i can i buy the same in pune?

@aaggoswami: I am not noticing any issues with clutch, still i will get it checked in comming servicing at HHASS.

@Gansan : I am using either Castrol 4T or Oil offered by HHASS.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:07   #9
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

All right. Yesterday i have refitted my petrol lock (Below the tank) with packing as i was suspecting minor leakage.

I am still looking for bottle for Bottle test.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
All right. Yesterday i have refitted my petrol lock (Below the tank) with packing as i was suspecting minor leakage.

I am still looking for bottle for Bottle test.
For bottle test you need not buy the bottle. HHASS will have it and will do the test for a charge.
Also, if you are using an after market fuel cock with lock, replace it with an original normal one. These are known to cause mileage issues, mainly because of the variance in the main/reserve opening inside the tank. It may be hitting reserve sooner, i.e. your reserve capacity may now be higher than standard.

Last edited by Gansan : 14th August 2009 at 13:27.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 14:44   #11
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
For bottle test you need not buy the bottle. HHASS will have it and will do the test for a charge.
Also, if you are using an after market fuel cock with lock, replace it with an original normal one. These are known to cause mileage issues, mainly because of the variance in the main/reserve opening inside the tank. It may be hitting reserve sooner, i.e. your reserve capacity may now be higher than standard.
You are right. I can do it @ HHASS. HOwever, i heard it costs some 150-200, so i am willing to buy it so that i can check mileage anytime. May be on my way to office. I also need not have to take out time to go to HHASS and need not have to go for aimless ride of 8-10 kms just to consume 100ml petrol :-).

You are right about third party petrol lock. Reserve level changes. So while taking average i have restarted Reserve to Reserve reading process after changing lock. I need to maintain lock atleast for sometime as i want to erradicate one reason for low mileage - petrol theft.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 14:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

I think 70 is a high enough speed for a CD-Deluxe to give less mileage. The best mileage zone for this motor is from 40-60 kph
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:04   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
You are right. I can do it @ HHASS. HOwever, i heard it costs some 150-200, so i am willing to buy it so that i can check mileage anytime.
Better go and pester them that the mileage has become very low after they serviced it. Revise it downward by 5 KMPL for good measure. Then they may do the test for free, just to disprove you!

Having said that, I don't think the CD 100 SS and Splendor have the same engine in every respect, like you mentioned in your first post. The compression and gear ratios are different, if I remember right. I don't think the CD 100 SS returns the same mileage as the original CD 100 or the Splendor. A few of my colleagues who have this model say 55 - 58 is all they ever get.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

@gansan - The CD100 /SS /Splendor /Passion all of them share the same engine, the Passion & Splendor engine have different piston rings.

The SS had an engine guard a few more subtle changes here & there.

The CD-Deluxe would have Catcon too which the CD 100 & SS didnt have.

Also like you said the mileage looks fine.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 15:46   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@gansan - The CD100 /SS /Splendor /Passion all of them share the same engine, the Passion & Splendor engine have different piston rings.

The SS had an engine guard a few more subtle changes here & there.

The CD-Deluxe would have Catcon too which the CD 100 & SS didnt have.

Also like you said the mileage looks fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Better go and pester them that the mileage has become very low after they serviced it. Revise it downward by 5 KMPL for good measure. Then they may do the test for free, just to disprove you!

Having said that, I don't think the CD 100 SS and Splendor have the same engine in every respect, like you mentioned in your first post. The compression and gear ratios are different, if I remember right. I don't think the CD 100 SS returns the same mileage as the original CD 100 or the Splendor. A few of my colleagues who have this model say 55 - 58 is all they ever get.
Thanks a lot for input.

Technically Cd Deluxe and Splendour are same,.

Somehow i never came across a single person using cd deluxe/spledour having this average. they always claim 67-75. It also resembles overall market talk which i heard over the years.

Either these people never took serious efforts to check their mileage correctly / they just assume that their mileage is something they are claiming / or there is some serious problem with my bikes mileage.

So i am curious to investigate my side.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Force Motors launches Trax Cruiser Deluxe and Toofan Deluxe Aditya Commercial Vehicles 2 23rd October 2015 14:37
Hero HF Deluxe and HF Deluxe ECO launched Aditya Motorbikes 8 1st June 2015 16:59
Mileage labels on cars soon; 10L fine for violation of mileage standards coolclouds The Indian Car Scene 22 14th June 2012 15:13
Low mileage, less pickup and judder while reversing, what can be the issue here? kaushik_s Technical Stuff 40 3rd October 2008 22:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks