Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th August 2009, 00:34   #31
BHPian

If it were up to me i would just throw the fairing out of the window(keeping the projector ofcourse).
But i really now need to go and remove time for test drives.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 00:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Debatable looks, but give the CBZ xtreme a try. (Don't watch its TVCs though!). It's got enough oomph to put a smile on an occasional boy racing feat and decent ergonomics for city use as well. I think it should fit your height, but only a test ride'll confirm it.

No brainer that on race tracks it'll eat the mud of RTR and P220.
You just made me laugh out loud. Its a horrid terrible ad. I co-ordinated it. I quite feel ashamed about it. It deserves a thread of its own though.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 02:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

hey Abhay, a TD is the best way to decide bro. I am not sure how comfortable you would be on the 180. But then the TD would be the real eye opener, so go take the TD and then decide.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:02   #34
BHPian

Just remember a TD is not everything. There is something called reliability too which cannot be judged by a TD.
Just read any of the bike reviews and you will realise that the Pulsars start giving issues after 2 to 3 years. Also heard the RTRs are unstable at higher speeds, read vibrations etc. This may not be a factor for city riding. Do also check Yamaha FZ16 and Honda Unicorn. Reliability will not be a problem.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:07   #35
BHPian

Yamaha FZ16 hasn't been in the market too long has it? How can you be so sure of its reliability then? as you said Pulsars start giving issues in 2/3 years, I have owned a Pulsar 150 for 5+ years and it has been completely reliable till today.
It may not have the same quality controls like a Honda/Hero Honda but neither is it crap.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:31   #36
BHPian

My 2 cents

1- Do a test ride of bike's you like.

2- Take previous owner's view on which company provides you best after sales. Trust me you perfect ownership dream can go for a toss the day you encounter pathetic A.S.S.

Then decide keeping the test rides and owner's view in mind.
anshu_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 12:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Just remember a TD is not everything. There is something called reliability too which cannot be judged by a TD.
Just read any of the bike reviews and you will realise that the Pulsars start giving issues after 2 to 3 years. Also heard the RTRs are unstable at higher speeds, read vibrations etc. This may not be a factor for city riding. Do also check Yamaha FZ16 and Honda Unicorn. Reliability will not be a problem.
My friend has a unicorn and i really like it, but i do not want a slow bike (150cc).
Pulsars as i have heard do give out work after a while.
The reason i have made this thread is to know what i can not from a TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
My 2 cents

1- Do a test ride of bike's you like.

2- Take previous owner's view on which company provides you best after sales. Trust me you perfect ownership dream can go for a toss the day you encounter pathetic A.S.S.

Then decide keeping the test rides and owner's view in mind.
A.S.S really doesnt matter much as im sure there are more than competent mechs here in mumbai to handle a bike, and also i do know a few who are.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:07   #38
BHPian

@Abhay - You are right. We are not 100% sure of Yamaha reliability for the FZ series. However the trajectory is in the right direction i.e. no niggling issues or anything reported in any forums for the 8 or 9 months that it has been launched. As for Bajaj, even after having the Pulsar series out for donkey's years, you will still find complaints with new bikes and definitely more complaints as the bikes age. Not to say that there will be bikes without any issues, such as yours. After all reliability is a probability that an item will perform a required function under some conditions for a stated period of time. And we expect that the stated period of time is at least 5 years. The probability of a Bajaj giving a problem is higher than that of a Honda, Yamaha, Hero Honda. Only one worse than BAjaj is Royal Enfield bikes.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 13:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
The reason i have made this thread is to know what i can not from a TD

A.S.S really doesnt matter much as im sure there are more than competent mechs here in mumbai to handle a bike, and also i do know a few who are.
Hi Abhay, I agree here. At the end it will boil down to what appeals to the heart (and or mind based on your preference).
Atleast thats what happened in my case. I just loved the Menace and went for it. I read through almost all reviews on the net and though the Pulsar did have a strong case for itself, at the end I just got what I liked.
All the best for your decision, though I havent owned the bike long enough to be an authority on it do let me know if you have any queries on the RTR and I will try my best to answer.

Last edited by sammyboy : 11th August 2009 at 13:16.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 15:20   #40

The P220 with it's bulk and the ugly front fairing is a pain in the traffic especially the kind of traffic at Andheri is mind numbing. The RTR would be much nimbler with the right balance of power and handling. However both these machines lack the quality and finesse of an Yamaha. I would suggest you consider the FZ-16/S for the kind of traffic you will be riding.

I own a R15 right now (ex RTR160 owner) and none of our homegrown machines come close to the experience this one delivers. The p220 TD gave me a proper body massage and the heat from the engine was too much for even 15 minutes of riding. Plonking down some 80k+ on such ill-engineered machines isn't exactly my idea of either VFM or Performance biking.
Wheel_Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 16:26   #41
BHPian

I have an RTR180. Trust me. You wont look at any other bike. I dont consider Bajaj even in the RTR league of bikes!
sandy82_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 17:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Not to say that there will be bikes without any issues, such as yours. After all reliability is a probability that an item will perform a required function under some conditions for a stated period of time.
agreed and I knew what you meant but still couldn't resist posting an argument about the FZ series bikes.

Quote:
Only one worse than BAjaj is Royal Enfield bikes.
Hahaha now I own BOTH..I bloody well hope my luck continues on that probability front !
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 18:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy82_2000 View Post
I have an RTR180. Trust me. You wont look at any other bike. I dont consider Bajaj even in the RTR league of bikes!
Hey Sandy, Am planning to get hold of an RTR180. How is the performance and pickup? What's the max speed on the ODO?

Did you feel any vibration when driven at top speed?

Lastly whats the FE in city?
funkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 10:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy82_2000 View Post
You cannot put TVS in a league above Bajaj. RTR 180 is good but that doesn't makes P180 worst.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:23   #45
BHPian

Finally some progress,
I did get time to go to one showroom, well i dont know if it was a showroom.
I went to see the RTR first.
The place is at the corner of the road going to goregaon station comming from arre milk colony goregaon check naka. Name is Vinay Auto Agency.
This is not a TVS guy, its just a shop with some bikes out and says that the bike can be arranged in 4 days, including the 3 days for loan approval.
Now i asked all details, says 74k on road but for me 73k (1k discount). Full comprehensive insurance, etc etc.
But i want to ask this guy wont service my bike, i asked, says that the service center is in malad, so shouldnt i go and buy from that place, wouldnt that be a place of a proper TVS dealer?
Also how can i be sure that the bike he would give would be a new 180 and not a 160 bored and newly painted?
Actually this would be the first time anyone in my family would buy a bike, if you will talk about cars, i can tell which car from where and at what price, but bikes are a completely different story.
So what i want to know is is he telling 73k on road as a proper price? is it possible for him to cheat me in any way?