Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th September 2009, 16:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Besides the other points mentioned, please make sure you are using the right spark plug. RX also uses MICO W5BC, I believe.
Motul 800 is the best, but its ment to be used as pre-mix only.
Which would be right spark plug for my RX?

By pre-mix, do you mean mixing with petrol while filling up or is it something else .
fast_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 17:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you check which plug you have and post it here? As I said W5BC would be what you should use, as far as I recall. Please confirm this in your manual.

Yes, pre-mix is mixing the 2t with you petrol.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 16:13   #18
BHPian

Sorry for not updating the thread for long time.

@Raccoon : I have checked the spark plug and it is Mico W5BC.

The starting problem was rectified after i got the spark plug cleaned. Now the bike starts in a kick or two .

I have topped up the oil can with Castrol power1 super TT oil.

The only available brands of 2T oil in the place where i enquired was Shell and Castrol. I decided to go with the latter as it was used previously used in the bike and didnt want to experiment.

I am also planning to do a pre-mix i.e. 10ml per litre of petrol. Any expert's advice on this?

I am also feeling a jerk when i am in the gear and stop accelerating. Its not that I am going slower in higher gears. It happenes when i am at a speed of around 60kmph and i just stop accelerating, I feel a continuous jerk and it disappears even if a give a slight acceleration. Can anyone explain what is causing this ?
Old 1st October 2009, 17:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Castrol super TT is not amongst the best oils... and does not burn very clean. Try Motul 800 / 510 or Petronas 5000. You won't find them in shops... you will have to contact the company directly. Last option - use Castrol Jet X at least... instead of Super TT.

10 ml/lt + autolube will be too much. You will gunk up your engine fast and performance may suffer.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:32   #20
BHPian

Thanks Raccoon .

I was planning to do a pre-mix as the engine was recently rebored and is still running in.

I will try to source motul or petronas oils and if not successful will try and find jetx atleast. It was mentioned in the super tt bottle that the oil comes with a new clean burn formula.

Do you have any idea about the jerking I mentioned in the previous post?
Old 1st October 2009, 19:15   #21
BHPian

That jerking is coz of stock engine ( stock exhaust ports ) or might be some carburettion problem.
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 20:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
That jerking is coz of stock engine ( stock exhaust ports ) or might be some carburettion problem.
What do you mean by stock engine or exhaust port?

My engine was rebored recently and i am running the stock catcon silencer.

How can i get this sorted out ?
Old 1st October 2009, 20:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Thanks Raccoon .

I was planning to do a pre-mix as the engine was recently rebored and is still running in.

I will try to source motul or petronas oils and if not successful will try and find jetx atleast. It was mentioned in the super tt bottle that the oil comes with a new clean burn formula.

Do you have any idea about the jerking I mentioned in the previous post?
IMO, if you want to add oil in the tank (while using the autolube), 3-5 ml oil per litre petrol would a sane amount, esp. if you are using the better oils.

About the clean burn, almost all companies claim such things. It is more marketing talk than fact. Motul 800 should technically be the cleanest burning oil, followed by Motul 510 (The only JASO FD rated oil in India) followed by Petronas 5000. Mentioning Petronas 5000 in the third place as its only JASO FC).

Contact the company's salesperson>regional manager>national marketing/sales head, in that order. They are quite responsive. Don't buy if the stuff is more than couple or so years old.

Won't comment about your jerking problem without being able to check out your bike.

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st October 2009 at 21:00.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:14   #24
BHPian

Thanks Raccoon. Will go through the 2T oil thread and take some help.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:03   #25
BHPian

Thumbs up Update

Update:

I had met Prajeep sometime back. It was very nice of him to call me up and fix a time to meet up. He recommended Bike world in Jayanagar to get my regular servicing done. He also warned about the high pricing but mentioned they were very good at work.

So no 2nd thoughts when recommended by the RX guru himself.

I visited bike world and met the service supervisor. The mechanic went for test ride; he came back and listed all the things that need to be checked/replaced. He recommended full clutch assembly replacing, front fork cone replacement, front and rear wheel bearing replacement and also truing, rear brake-shoe replacement and some other smaller niggles. This was in addition to the King class service. The bill came to around 3.5k. I was not surprised as I was warned already. I took a test ride and the bike felt real new.

Post service, the engine feels real smooth and the thud thud noise from the front when hitting a pot hole is gone. I am using Castrol super TT oil in the can. I wanted to check the average post service and my bike returned a whopping 49 kmpl (reserve to reserve). I wanted to cross check on this and did a test again and the bike returned 46kmpl. I think this is a real good average for a RX. Also I would like to mention that this is under complete sedate riding not crossing 70kmph mark.
Old 19th November 2009, 03:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

I had met Prajeep sometime back. It was very nice of him to call me up and fix a time to meet up. He recommended Bike world in Jayanagar to get my regular servicing done. He also warned about the high pricing but mentioned they were very good at work.

So no 2nd thoughts when recommended by the RX guru himself.

I visited bike world and met the service supervisor. The mechanic went for test ride; he came back and listed all the things that need to be checked/replaced. He recommended full clutch assembly replacing, front fork cone replacement, front and rear wheel bearing replacement and also truing, rear brake-shoe replacement and some other smaller niggles. This was in addition to the King class service. The bill came to around 3.5k. I was not surprised as I was warned already. I took a test ride and the bike felt real new.

Post service, the engine feels real smooth and the thud thud noise from the front when hitting a pot hole is gone. I am using Castrol super TT oil in the can. I wanted to check the average post service and my bike returned a whopping 49 kmpl (reserve to reserve). I wanted to cross check on this and did a test again and the bike returned 46kmpl. I think this is a real good average for a RX. Also I would like to mention that this is under complete sedate riding not crossing 70kmph mark.
Nice to hear that your bike is giving good mileage . I wish my RX 135 4S does this too. It is averaging around 34-36. I do not regret for my 11 year old one giving mileage around 30s. Infact, it had gone through the tough times before coming back to life.

I would complement each RX for it performance and its instant acceleration that people still admire this legend admist of current trendy bikes. It has earned respect over the years that even though they have stopped production long back, it leaves many to wish that it was still produced today to own it.

When it comes to Oil, as Racoon suggested my bike is currently running on Gulf oil semi synth 2T. I would also suggest the same as it is pocket friendly and gives performance. I know there are Motuls and Petronas being the favourites and have used it as well. Gulf semi synth autolube did not dissapoint me.

I'm new to this forum and still learning, hence anyone might want to correct my understanding.
SriramEfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^^Hey dude, where did you get Gulf 2t oil?? Whats the price, manuf. date and quantity? It seems to be no longer available in Poona at least.

I dunno why most people end up with Castrol Super TT. When I last tried it, it was amongst the worst I'v tried. Smokes a lot and does not burn clean and makes the engine feel rougher. If fixated on Castrol, or if hunting for better brands is an issue, I'd at least use Jet X.

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th November 2009 at 16:03.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:46   #28
BHPian

@fayaz will catch you sometime, you should have given me a buzz when you were at bike world !! anyways nice to know that you liked there work ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Nice to hear that your bike is giving good mileage . I wish my RX 135 4S does this too. It is averaging around 34-36. I do not regret for my 11 year old one giving mileage around 30s. Infact, it had gone through the tough times before coming back to life.
Sriram pradeep here, i have heard vallavan and tectrac are okish guyz in chennai. see if u can get hold of them.
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Nice to hear that your bike is giving good mileage .

I would complement each RX for it performance and its instant acceleration that people still admire this legend admist of current trendy bikes. It has earned respect over the years that even though they have stopped production long back, it leaves many to wish that it was still produced today to own it.

I'm new to this forum and still learning, hence anyone might want to correct my understanding.
Thanks Sriram. I agree with you that people still wish RX was in production. Truly a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I dunno why most people end up with Castrol Super TT. When I last tried it, it was amongst the worst I'v tried. Smokes a lot and does not burn clean and makes the engine feel rougher. If fixated on Castrol, or if hunting for better brands is an issue, I'd at least use Jet X.
I wouldnt say Castrol super TT is the best but i did not face any smoking problem using it till now. Touch wood. It is one of the most easily available oil and thats y end up using it instead of conking the engine without using 2T in the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
@fayaz will catch you sometime, you should have given me a buzz when you were at bike world !! anyways nice to know that you liked there work ..
I wanted to give you a buzz, but was really caught up with work in office. So didnt spend much time there.

I need the butterfly crash guard similar to the one in your bike. In bike world they said it would cost 500 change. Is that a good price or can i get it for cheaper in J.C. Road. I also need 1 right front indicator.

Let me know. Thanks.
Old 19th November 2009, 23:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldnt say Castrol super TT is the best but i did not face any smoking problem using it till now. Touch wood. It is one of the most easily available oil and thats y end up using it instead of conking the engine without using 2T in the can.
I know... along with BPCL's MAK 2t, it is the most easily available. But good things in life often need a li'l effort in acquiring...