Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th August 2009, 13:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

three years ? i would say one year . after covering 10K kms the old bajaj bikes begin to fall apart . and i dont think there is any such problem with the apache .
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 14:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
after covering 10K kms the old bajaj bikes begin to fall apart
Can you substantiate this statement?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedKrazy View Post
what i feel is that both pulsars and Apaches require frequent maintainance after initial three years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
three years ? i would say one year . after covering 10K kms the old bajaj bikes begin to fall apart . and i dont think there is any such problem with the apache .
Just how long have you guys owned Pulsars? My P180 has done 4.5yrs, 25k kms. Of course it has required maintainence, but nothing out of the way compared to what a bike driven in Indian traffic and road conditions requires. Please present reasons for such strong statements. Remember that you're advising someone about to buy an asset that is to last him for atleast the next 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
My feelings exactly!
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 15:48   #19
BHPian

Another one of those my bike/car brand is better than yours statement, Techno
Or what is called conventional wisdom...certainly not true in my experience.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 15:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL Abhay you are right, anyways where is deepclutch? whats the current status?
Old 25th August 2009, 17:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 years 16K kms of hard ripping .
clutch plates changed two times .
front shocker seals leaked twice
front brake lever housing changed
valve seals and some other components inside the head had to be replaced
chain set was changed at 11K kms
rear seat cowl had cracked after 2K kms
self starter has been changed two times still it stopped working after a month

and countless other small niggles which i dont remember

what i have heard now is the newer pulsars are better which is a good thing but we will have to wait a few more years to make that kind of statement .

I am no brand hater all that i am saying is from a personal experience i have ridden both the 180ugIV and apache 180 extensively and the RTR is a far better bike .

and the old pulsars twitch and sway and do everything to throw you off the bike under hard cornering . the new one seems to be far better but still not as flickable as the RTR .
i know my statement would have hurt the sentiments of veteran pulsar owners . yes we all love our bikes no matter if it breaks down every second day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Another one of those my bike/car brand is better than yours statement, Techno
Or what is called conventional wisdom...certainly not true in my experience.
Sir i own a pulsar and that statement was not made out of thin air . thankyou .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th August 2009 at 18:36. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 25th August 2009, 17:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Which variant?

I Owned A P180 DTSi V1 for 2.5 years, covered 39k kms, Did extensive stunts & touring(which was nothing short of ripping sessions). All I ever faced was a clutch plate change & poor starter when compared to my ZMA. Nothing ever broke (on its own i.e. ) & the bike never stopped. No electrical glitches or failures, Chain was stock even after all the stunting

I also owned a ZMA for 2 years 13k kms, did a lot of high speed touring & some commuting, rear panels used to break on bad roads & alloys got bend on a 120 kph pothole impact but no issues. Tail lamp bulb fused once & 2 screws kept falling from silencer & one from side panel due to vibrations(once). Tensioner noise

Currently ride an RTR 160, done ~7k kms, no stunts, no long rides, High beam pass switch failed in one ride in rain, The metal plate on silencer (just below the engine cowl) came loose becasue of vibrations, Latest issue is entire RHS support system (foot pegs, brakes, Silencer) moves up & down. I am yet to show this to svc guys. All this within a year & 10k kms.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:12   #23
BHPian

I agree to the folks who have said that the HH / Honda bikes are more reliable. I have owned 3 and used four Pulsars over the years, Two 150's - 1st one was the 1st generation Pulsar,clocked 30k before it was sold off. 2nd one was UG2 with alloys, sold it to my friend with 5k on the odo. 3rd one was a UG3 180, which was stolen from my Apartment when it was just 6 months old with 8k on the odo. The 4th one was a again a UG3 180 bought by my roommate but mostly used by me, currently the odo reads 32k.

Prior to owning these Pulsars, I had a HH Splendor which I used for 33 months and had an odo reading of 59k. I sold it off to buy the Pulsar since lot many guys were overtaking me too frequently. My brother uses a Honda Unicorn which has clocked 37k and still going strong after a lot of abuse, my bro was hell bent on buying a Pulsar and I advised and forced him to buy the Unicorn, I have done the same for another of my roommates too.

Overall I felt that the Pulsars have gotten better over the years with those timely upgrades but I still feel the HH & Honda bikes are more refined and reliable after a lot of abuse provided you do the timely servicing and oil changes.

But having said all this let me tell you that if I am putting my money on a new bike it will be a Pulsar 220, I feel very relaxed on it and it will certainly be good for long rides.

NB: 1) I somehow don't like the Karizma, but it is a real good bike.
2) Apache - I had taken a test ride of the 160 RTR, but me and my roommate did not like it since we felt that it was a bit small for our Tall frames.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 25th August 2009 at 18:21. Reason: Note
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys lets not make it another brand war. lets wait for deepclutch to post his next moves, the last we read he had decided for the Pulsar.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which variant?

I Owned A P180 DTSi V1 for 2.5 years, covered 39k kms, Did extensive stunts & touring(which was nothing short of ripping sessions). All I ever faced was a clutch plate change & poor starter when compared to my ZMA. Nothing ever broke (on its own i.e. ) & the bike never stopped. No electrical glitches or failures, Chain was stock even after all the stunting

I also owned a ZMA for 2 years 13k kms, did a lot of high speed touring & some commuting, rear panels used to break on bad roads & alloys got bend on a 120 kph pothole impact but no issues. Tail lamp bulb fused once & 2 screws kept falling from silencer & one from side panel due to vibrations(once). Tensioner noise

Currently ride an RTR 160, done ~7k kms, no stunts, no long rides, High beam pass switch failed in one ride in rain, The metal plate on silencer (just below the engine cowl) came loose becasue of vibrations, Latest issue is entire RHS support system (foot pegs, brakes, Silencer) moves up & down. I am yet to show this to svc guys. All this within a year & 10k kms.

Well ! i would say lucky you , i have seen very few pulsar owners covering 40K kms with just a clutch plate change ! there are exceptions , my friend tours on his V2 180 and has covered 45K kms . no major niggles !
i own a V3 pulsar 180. my brother owns a zma and i have covered about 7K kms on it . the plastic quality is bad i know . if it falls on the ride side , even the screw holders on the left side break .

my pulsar once hit a pothole at 110kmph and the alloy was perfect .

Quote:
Guys lets not make it another brand war. lets wait for deepclutch to post his next moves, the last we read he had decided for the Pulsar.
Peace .
Note : i never meant to start a brand war . just posting my views sorry .

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th August 2009 at 18:37.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL Abhay you are right, anyways where is deepclutch? whats the current status?
My Quest for a 180cc Bike is getting me more irritated and agitated.
After Some Recommendations from few Bikers off-line ,I checked TVS dealers for Apache 180.

saw Apache 180 bike in sub dealership here.no test rides available!No nearby dealers got Apache 180 Ex-stock.If I want ,I have to wait for a week or more.Should I wait?
If I have to take the bike brand new now ,I have to travel 35kms to get the bike from Aluva! .

Apache looks smaller to me compared with Pulsar 180UGIV.Even Height is less?

Without any test rides available and no dealerships near by got the bikes ex-stock for Apache,the friendly Pulsar Dealer seems good.Watch this space.

Last edited by deepclutch : 25th August 2009 at 18:27.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you try & find some one in your friend circle who already has these bikes so that you can get to ride them. Also tell the TVS showroom guys that you will file a complaint with TVS as they are not providing any test rides, this should hopefully work
Old 26th August 2009, 14:57   #28
BHPian

I have a 9 yrs old Calibre and a P150. They havent given any major problems since past many yrs now, except regular servicings, oil changes and once a chainset issue with the Calibre and a speedomoter problem which was broken. The p150 has been involved in some serious street rippings but has been truly supportive so far. I think, Its not the RIDE its the RIDER. even if you rough it up, if you dont do it with love, then the bike also stops responding.
A little off-topic here, any thread on this forum for "Honda Cub", Yr 2006 greatest motorbike Ever. I saw it being sold in Singapore during my visi last year. Any info about its availability in India??
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:07   #29
BHPian

Why no test rides deepclutch? They don't have bikes or they just don' let you take a ride?

YC.BALENO.CHD - unfortunate experiences with the Pulsar. Also if you think Technocrat is lucky then I have something to add.
Owned a Pulsar 150 for 5+ years, 30K run, ZERO problems. It is stock except 1 battery and 1 rear tyre change (and countless tyre tubes :s ).
Owned a Kb 4s earlier, 7 years, 40k run, ZERO problems again.

Sorry for being a bit harsh with my comment but trust me there are plenty of people who comment on bike/car/brands on mere "reputation".

sorry for going offtopic; deepclutch hope you get a test ride soon!
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Smile TVS APACHE 180 RTR Bought.

Guys , I bought TVS Apache RTR 180 from Cochin.The Bike is Black in Colour.Test rode the bike and I Liked it. Paid Rs67500 for the bike and I have to get temporary Permit(TP) to ride it tp Muvattupuzha(40kms),but Today-Wednesday Kakkanad(Kochi) RTO is not allowing TPs!weird.the Sales Guy also learned it half way through the deal.At the Moment, Bike is in Showroom.

I visited 2 dealers for the bike.Cochin Motors,Vyttila is the only dealer who got few bikes to choose from.They got 8 White Apaches and 3 Black Apaches as Per the Sales Guy.With the First Dealer(not disclosing) ,the Bikes are used in the NH47 and I hated to see the mechanics riding the bike full of dirt(due to rain as well).So ,I just drove to Kochi to the Main Dealer.

Although I liked the White Colour Apache which shows its presence felt among other RTRs ,Black Apache RTR 180 is what I liked for few reasons .

I have payed Rs67500 in cash .
I cannot take the Bike today as explained above due to not getting TP.
Tomorrow ,I will get the bike after PDI done by the dealer as well as other paper works(insurance,TP etc) finished.

On The Road Cost is Rs71700,but for me ,I will have to get it registered at Muvattupuzha RTO(via Auto Consultancy costing approx Rs4400) will cost Rs 72100(approximate).

No Black Colour Bike was available and the 2 bikes displayed are already carrying booked and name.Since I am paying the total money ,I persuaded them for the Black Colour(else ,I will walk out).Checked the Sticker on the bikes which read 18-8-2009 as Manufacturing date,that means only 8 days old from the factory.As "Onam" festival Offer ,I got a Rs500 worth Yera brand Glasses and a Big Jug as Gift.No extra accessories are given!except for the indicator buzzer .I think they discounted the 10 litre petrol offer?

I Will post the Bike Pics as well as details Once I get the bike delivered.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote