Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th August 2009, 14:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic!
Wonderful third person narration on PH & PW. Waiting for the remaining part!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 10:55   #17
BHPian

Great stuff man.
Very identical story.
Waited more than 3 years for it, after readin the same Overdrive article, i still have it. (beat you on that one)
Bought my V1 in Aug '04.
Crashed it in 2 months on my first manor ride, just after i beat a Karizma in a drag (after miss shifting). Did 137kmph the same day, never it has gone beyond that. (also overtook a Karizma while it did 129kmph on a digital speedo, external)
Have done 3 states on it myself.
Still cant find anything as an upgrade with substantial difference in performance. So ride it still.
I cant sell it, ever.
Next ZX250R.
Attached Thumbnails
Purple Haze - My 2004 Pulsar 180 DTSi-hiranandani.jpg  

doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Wow! Nice write-up! Has this bike arrived from the mechanic's yet?
Hey hey, you're not supposed to speak ahead of the narrator, are you? Jokes apart, yes it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Awesome writeup. Shows the passion & love you have for the bike.

Wishing many more miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
congrats pw on a nice write up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Very passionate write up!! Shows your love for the bike..!
Thank you guys. Yes, I love the bike very much, and I write best about it when I let my passion flow through the writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
@predatoronwheels, good writeup and you and I know what we've got under our behinds when we start our bikes nahi?
Yup, I know very much what I've got under my, ahem, "behind" when I start the bike. Thats why they're called "crotch rockets", arent they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ah you remind me of my 180 V1, it was amongst the first 10 bikes sold in Pune

Does your 180 have toe only shifter or heel & Toe?

And yes this was the fastest P180 & also the one with least or almost nill issues, in short the Best P180 ever
This one had a dedicated toe shifter, no heel shift at all. But its a nice toe shifter, not the boot ruiner type like on bullets. One can easily go for long drives wearing only chappals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
As they say in Hindi movies "Itihaas gawaah hai"... Time is the witness, this guy goes absolutely bizzare when touches 135, I have had the pleasure and torture both on a few ocassions. Also on that Rx as well.

Hey preds, that causeway is 2.7 Kms to be precise. I still remember those causeway drags equivalents when the sharp left appraoches like your fate and these speed-demons take the left @ 80-90 with the footrest of Rx sparking on the road many a times.

This pic is clicked by me during one of our trips to that serene church (miss those "beer" hugs atop that hillock)
Thank you old friend. Yes, now I remember you accompanying us on a few of those causeway drags. Wasn't the sensation phenomenal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Nostalgic!
Wonderful third person narration on PH & PW. Waiting for the remaining part!
Thank you buddy. Apologies for the delay. Remaining part coming right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Great stuff man.
Very identical story.
Waited more than 3 years for it, after readin the same Overdrive article, i still have it. (beat you on that one)
Bought my V1 in Aug '04.
Crashed it in 2 months on my first manor ride, just after i beat a Karizma in a drag (after miss shifting). Did 137kmph the same day, never it has gone beyond that. (also overtook a Karizma while it did 129kmph on a digital speedo, external)
Have done 3 states on it myself.
Aha! Quite a similar story. Your bike seems to have a wider aftermarket tire though. I'm still running the original 100/90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Still cant find anything as an upgrade with substantial difference in performance. So ride it still.
I cant sell it, ever.
Next ZX250R.
Same here. Now that a car has taken over my essential commuting duties, the bike is only reserved for the occassional riding thrill. And I havent found anything that trumps my bike so much in the thrills department, that will force me to switch. Besides, I love PH too much!

Part 4: Kolkata, and Purple Haze going through a semi-restore.

There were 4 months between completion of course at Goa, and PW's posting at Ahmedabad. Instead of letting the bike rot at Goa, he decided to bring her back to Kolkata in the interim and give her a mid life touch up.

So March 2007, Purple Haze came back home. Indian Railways had done a surprisingly good job. There was not a single scratch on her, and the bike started on the first kick. Riding her back from the station was a breeze. Rider and bike quickly reclimatized to bumper-to-bumper city driving after the 2 year Goan honeymoon.

Very soon, Purple Haze went for her touch up. The list of replacements included:

1. A comprehensive re-chroming.
2. Re-painting the engine and gearbox.
3. A new battery. The old one had conked off in the last few months.
4. A pair of new horns to replace the stock ones. These were some German Bad muthas that a friend suggested. Enough power to awaken the dead!
5. Fork Oil replacement.
6. Finally straightening (with heat application) the side stand arm that Gati guys had bent 2 years ago. Sadly, PW had not found a single mechanic in Goa competent to do the job, and the bike mainly spent its life there on the main stand.
7. A replacement headlight glass. Some insensitive moron had driven an iron rod through the glass at Panjim Market parking a few months ago. Bulb stayed intact, but the glass had a neat circular hole.
8. The usual engine oil,servicing & cleaning job.

So after spending some 4.5K, PH was good to go. Those 4 months passed by in a flash. Very soon, she was on another train, waiting to join PW who had moved to Ahmedabad and started his career as a banking professional.

Part 5: Aapnu Amdavad

"Ashok Bhai, will you accompany me to Kalupur Railway Station? My bike is coming in today." Ashok Bhai was a GIM senior who had been in Ahd from a year back, and currently was acting friend-philospher-guide to PW on all matters Gujju!

"Yes of course, buddy. Just wanna know, how much money are you carrying?"

"I think about 700 bucks. Should be more than enough for palm greasing porters, what say?" asked a happy PW.

"Only?? Havent you heard of Octroi? You have to pay 8pct of your bikes cost to bring it into Gujarat." replied Ashok.

8pct!!! That was 5000 bucks!! There was no way PW was going to pay so much to release his sweetheart from the station. Ashok Bhai, help!!

"Ok, wear the most faded t-shirt you can find and come with me. And lemme do the talking."

11 AM, Octroi office at Kalupur Railway station. The 2 buddies walk in to find the senior officer sitting in a baniyan and lungi, accompanied by his usual chamchas. Ashok Bhai starts the conversation.

"Good morning saab. My friend's bike has come in today. We need you to make the octroi challan, so we can get it released."

Octroi officer eyes up PW, asks in Gujarati. "Hmm, what do you do?". PW (drawing a very sombre face, and speaking in Deliberate Bong-accented Hindi) "Sir, I work for xyz bank. My office is on CG road. I'm a teller there." (heh heh)

Officer (continuing in Gujarati): Whats a "teller"?

PW: Sir, the clerk that sits behind the glass counter and counts notes for customers.

Officer: Oh achha, bank clerk.

PW: Yes sir.

Officer: Who's bike is it?

PW: Its my dad's bike sir. When bank transferred me here, dad sent it across to help commuting. I also have to save some money and send back home na!

Officer: You guys should work for nationalized banks. What is there in private banks? (A 10 min lecture follows on how today's youth is giving up Government jobs for lure of money).

PW: Sir, my bike sir.

Officer: Show me documents. (Eyes the reg book) So 65K is the value of your bike, hmm...then OCtroi at 8pct comes to.

PW: Sir, please lessen it. I'm a bank clerk. 8 pct on full value is my one month salary sir! (heh heh again)

Officer (thinks for some time): Ok, I'll make you a deal. I'm cutting a challan for Rs 640. You will pay me 800, ok.

PW: Ok sir, thank you for considering sir.

So, with a declared value of 8000 rupees, the 65000 rupee bike rolled out into the heat of Ahmedabad for the first time.

Life at Ahmedabad did not prove too rosy for Purple Haze. Monsoons set in very soon, and the whole city turned into one giant pool. Plus the chaotic traffic of the city.

Someone who thinks traffic at Kolkata and Mumbai is unruly, urgently needs to ride a bike in Ahmedabad. When the signal turns green, hundreds of bikes, scooters and autos will descend on the same piece of thin tarmac at the same time. There is absolutely no lane discipline, no concept of "pehle aap". Might has never been so right as it is in Ahmedabad.

To top it all, PW was now the laptop carrying corporate types, necktie, formals and all. The first few times he went out with his bike, his attire and laptop were completely soggy by the time he reached. The constant fighting with traffic also left a few ungainly scratches on PH. Ahmedabad traffic is meant for the gearless Honda Activa types, not for powerful geared bikes. Not in office times at least!

The worst came when PW left home one day in pouring rain for office. Within a 100 metres, he was riding through knee deep water. At one point, he lost balance and put out his leg, which unfortunately went into an uncovered drain. Both fell side on, and the bike was completely submerged. That was the end of taking the bike out in the rains.

The situation didnt improve much post the rainy season, and very soon the bike was of little use aside from shopping cart and weekend casual riding.

Perhaps in line with falling out of favour came falling into problems. The chain required to be changed, the self starter gave up the ghost. The engine refused to idle, and riding in traffic meant engine dying off at every signal only to be kickstarted again. The rear tube developed a knack of losing pressure on its own, and had to be replaced. For no good reason, the lighting system short-circuited one day. There was no reliable mechanic to be found, just opportunists looking to rip off a deal. PW watched in agony as his beloved bike started to fall apart. But there was nothing he could do. His work kept him away from home 9 to 9 every day. On Sundays, he just couldnt muster the courage to give up his rest and come take care of the bike. This made PW think. Had he really grown out of biking?

The only saving grace in the Ahmedabad story was a few highway trips PW made. Gujarat highways are wonderful, and there are many sites not far away from the city, worth a dekko. These were times when PW felt a biker again.

After 1.5 years in that city, PW received transfer orders, thankfully to his home town. Hopes flared up again. Purple Haze was coming home for good, to trusted mechanics and people who would take care of her. Perhaps she wasnt destined to fall apart after all.

Little did PW know, the worst was yet to come.

(Last part of the story and pics tomorrow).

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th August 2009 at 16:53. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post please, thanks
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 21:14   #19
BHPian

Man....I still have those overdrive and autocar issues where there was a comparo b/w the 180V1 and the zma (do i need to mention who wins the performance stakes?)....still remember the ad wherein the dtsi overtakes the classic while wheeliying and then stoppying....more importantly I still have my bike...teaches the newer crop of bikes like R15, RTRT 180 etc a lesson....u revived the memories of my "silver ghost"
Ride on....
member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Purple Haze - My 2004 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Its been almost three years since your last update about the Pulsar.

Hows it now and how much run?
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Read the entire story on one go, only to realise in the end that its a 3+ year old story
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
hey
Please find time to complete the narration of the the ride who was with you through thick and thin.
abhijeetsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 10:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

3 year old thread, eh?
No matter.
Awesome stuff to read.

BTW, you actually have an uncle who's called "Archie Andrews"????
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 15:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
3 year old thread, eh?
No matter.
Awesome stuff to read.

BTW, you actually have an uncle who's called "Archie Andrews"????
Well, you guys are in for a surprise. And the timing of your post is so coincidental. Well I'll leave the details for the owner. Should be up within a couple of days.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 17:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

By God, I have the same story as yours. Waited 3 years and got my Pulsar 150 in November 2004. If I had waited couple of months more, I could have got the one with the alloy wheels. Not that I regret it, I have been happy with it ever since. 8 years on, its still running *touch wood*
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote