Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th September 2009, 12:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

If a Oil Cooler from Pulsar 220 is fitted on Bullet ,Won't it Strain the Current Oil Pump on Bullets?Any Heavy Duty or "Special" Oil Pump exists for Bullet?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 13:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
If a Oil Cooler from Pulsar 220 is fitted on Bullet ,Won't it Strain the Current Oil Pump on Bullets?Any Heavy Duty or "Special" Oil Pump exists for Bullet?
The CIs have a piston based set up which sometimes don't pump enough oil for the engine itself. So, a few bulleteers went with the 535s pump which had larger pistons for more flow. RE or was it AVL , corrected this anomaly with the gear driven pump on all the AVL engines. Sadly, fitting the gear driven ones to the CIs isn't straightforward and involves a lot of mods. The UCE takes oil pumping a step further with it's trochoidal pump, which supposedly upstages the gear driven pumps on the AVLs also. So, your current easiest option is to upgrade to the 535's oil pump. . After that, I guess the oil cooler would be a decent mod with enough flow.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Are there more pics? Wanna see the other side, with the silencer and stuff..
Hey Gordon - Did you get a chance to spot the ride on Saturday morning? I did manage to get some great detailed pics, however will be able to upload them only on Monday afternoon as currently I am out of town. Do let me me know if managed to see the ride personally.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 08:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hey Gordon - Did you get a chance to spot the ride on Saturday morning? I did manage to get some great detailed pics, however will be able to upload them only on Monday afternoon as currently I am out of town. Do let me me know if managed to see the ride personally.
Nope. I didn't take the bike to work because of rains. Waiting for the pics.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

I happened to chance upon oil pumps of both the AVL and the Pulsar 200/220 on Sunday. Trust me the Bullet pumps way more oil than a pulsar does. It almost pumps thrice as much as a Pulsar. I had a visual confirmation of high flow but there was no way to get a proper CFM reading. Now, I am pretty confident of retrofitting the P220 pump on my LB500.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Go ahead, it'll work fine; and will work fine even with the old piston pumps too.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The CIs have a piston based set up which sometimes don't pump enough oil for the engine itself. So, a few bulleteers went with the 535s pump which had larger pistons for more flow... ...So, your current easiest option is to upgrade to the 535's oil pump.
Newer CI's post '02 (or 05?) is said to have this bigger pump from 535. Can someone please confirm.

Quote:
I happened to chance upon oil pumps of both the AVL and the Pulsar 200/220 on Sunday... ...I had a visual confirmation of high flow but there was no way to get a proper CFM reading.
How is the Oil circuit of Pulsar's? I mean does the oil from cooler outlet flows to head- crank etc or back to sump. Flow pressure also is vital to force oil through crank- rocker oil passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Go ahead, it'll work fine; and will work fine even with the old piston pumps too.
Any delays in oil flow reaching service point -head in this case?
Because in every case there is a time delay however small it is between engine start spinning & oil flow getting up to swing. When we add a reservoir ie., cooler this also need to be filled up before oil could reach working parts. This essentially increases time for flow to stabilize as pumping remains same.
Being obvious mostly at starts after long idle, may be a few dry kicks with decomp' would ease this issue?
Ain't it all like no breakfast but only brunch.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 13:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

unless you are draining the oil and filling from fresh the cooler will not be empty. oil stays inside the cooler (or the oil pipe in bullets w/o cooler) even after the engine is shut down. so there won't be a case of cooler wanting to fill up.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 14:36   #39
BHPian

^ yes I know & agree that cooler or line would not drain empty while engine is off. I am concerned about the pressure part as that in circuit eases off with engine stop. Was thinking that in CI engines with low discharge pumps this could become a setback if fitted with coolers.

Last edited by Rennjit : 7th September 2009 at 14:37.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
HI mantrig,

Good mod you have got there.
Can you post the picture of only the gear rod and brake so that we can see how you have modified it.it appears you have shifted the gear rod and brake a little bit to the back.
Hey Reddy, Hope this serves the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nope. I didn't take the bike to work because of rains. Waiting for the pics.
Here you go, Gordon.

Hope these pictures are good enough as they have been clicked from a cell phone cam.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-1.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-2.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-4.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-5.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-6.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-7.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-dsc00319-3.jpg  

mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 17:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I happened to chance upon oil pumps of both the AVL and the Pulsar 200/220 on Sunday. Trust me the Bullet pumps way more oil than a pulsar does. It almost pumps thrice as much as a Pulsar. I had a visual confirmation of high flow but there was no way to get a proper CFM reading. Now, I am pretty confident of retrofitting the P220 pump on my LB500.

Cheers,

Jay
Nice ! post a thread when you are done with it. Many of us might be interested in it.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:57   #42
BHPian

The K n N AF is covered with a cut plastic bottle, is that just to save it from the rains or is that a permanent fixture serving some purpose?
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

It brings me enough joy to see so many cafe's since V12 started and finished his project. A lot of guys have been inspired by it, and would love to have the cafe racer look. I'm sure since Anthony prepped this bike, its going to have some extra punch. We never imagined that the cafe racer scene would blow out since we made our cafe. Almost everytime one of our cafe's are out on the road, there are people who are either shocked, interested and going crazy over the bikes.

Look wise, its not all that great but yes a very very good attempt with the rearsets. Not a clean look, but if its functional then what does it matter? In fact this is the EXACT rearset brake design I planned for the YCR, but was never complete because of lack of time.

Here are some pics of our cafe's.

The Grey ECR (Standard 350)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  59.6 KB

The Red ECR (2004 Electra 4s)

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  56.3 KB

The Chrome ECR (2005 Machismo 350)

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 8435
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  109.7 KB

Last edited by Gordon : 9th September 2009 at 19:58.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey, just passed by City Bakery but didnt see the bike anywhere. Will be passing by in the evening again. Here is my number (989)-(291)-(604)-(3).
Old 10th September 2009, 11:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hope these pictures are good enough as they have been clicked from a cell phone cam.
Good enough.

So the oil lines are routed between the return pump and the rocker oil pipe. And the cooled oil goes into the timing chest.

The most heat will be in the oil that flows into the crankcase.

I think this is effective and good mod to have. The oil from the crankcase will be cooled in the cooler and the timing chest and then return to the oil tank to flow to the cylinder.

The guru's can give better gyaan.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote