Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st August 2009, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Default Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded

Hello Folks,

I am not sure if this deserved a new thread, however I just thought that it may be of interest to quite a few of Dug-Dugi owners here.

I came across a Oil-cooled Mach 500 LB this Saturday and it happened to belong to a guy who I happen to know being from the same vicinity(The bike belongs to the owner of our very famous City Bakery - Worli Naka, Mumbai).

I enquired about the mods that he has done on the bike and also asked for the moolahs he spent on the same.
  • Radiator - Is from Bajaj Pulsar and cost him 1500/- bucks
  • Seat - Has been picked up from Delhi by a friend of his and cost him a lil above 2000/- INR
  • Handle Bar - I guess its a cafe racer handle bar - Gurus please shed some light on it - Must have been close to 300/- customized.
  • Mods - Done by a guy called Anthony from Versova/Juhu (Mumbai) and he said that though the guy was a bit expensive, he is happy with the work done and is worth all the money spent.
Will get detailed pics of how the radiator has been installed if required and can also get some more details if required.

Sorry for creating a new thread, just that I found this as some information useful for members here and was not sure how common it would be.

Regards,
Mantri G.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-oil-cooled-2.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-oil-cooled-3.jpg  

Oil-Cooled Machismo 500 LB - Modded-oil-cooled-4.jpg  

Attached Images

mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:18   #2
BHPian

Intresting mod,

Though it will be intresting to know where dose the radiator gets the oil feed and where dose it plunges the oil, I will not trust the standard oil pump to feed the radiator as it may reduce the oil flow to the head.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Very very cool.

Mantri,

Can we have more details man, since you say that the owner happens to be your acquaintance.

Bhogal,

I think that the LB500 will be able to support the oil cooler as it has a oil pump that is way better than the CI bullets.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:16   #4
BHPian

Great bike, but the golden mud-guards are too BLING! he he , chalega, nice bike.
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice
i have seen this mod on 2 bullets now including this one
other was a CI 350

any difference in the performance of bike with this oil cooler?
it should manage higher crusing speeds now
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
any difference in the performance of bike with this oil cooler?
it should manage higher crusing speeds now
Higher cruising speeds as in less heating at higher speeds?

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Wow. Very very cool.

Mantri,
Can we have more details man, since you say that the owner happens to be your acquaintance.

Jay
Hey Jay, I will try to get detailed pics once he gets the bike to the Bakery as he prefers using it only for his weekend & long distance rides.

Also, as one our friends mentioned, his bike is able to maintain high speeds for longer distance without showing any signs of dying. He also did mention that the regular cooling has been a lot more effective post this mod. And, sourcing the parts was not as expensive as the mod itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Great bike, but the golden mud-guards are too BLING! he he , chalega, nice bike.
@ Rageshgr - Thats the anti-rust which he will be getting rid of as soon as the monsoons seem to have said god-bye.
Old 1st September 2009, 00:22   #8

that oil cool mod realy does look like a professional job, thanks for the info mantrig...i think it would realy be beneficial to go for but a general pros and cons description would realy help for newbs like me.
Don_Mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 11:25   #9
BHPian

Going by commonly accepted terminology for motorcycle and car engines, oil-cooled would imply the entire engine is cooled by oil instead of being air-cooled as in most Indian two-wheelers?

What the Bajaj bikes have is an oil-cooler imho.
The engine oil keeps getting circulated through a small heat-exchanger/radiator to maintain a cooler oil temperature, there by helping maintain the fluidity/viscosity etc, resulting in smoother running and also helping the engine run a bit cooler as an indirect benefit imho.
That doesd not make it an "oil-cooled" engine i feel.

I have always pondered and wondered about this since Bajaj claimed oil-cooled engines and am not sure why no one finds it not so apt.
Hope to get some inputs from the well-informed members.

mantirg- Thanks for the info. Seems like a decent mod though, especially considering that it's a third-party job.

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 1st September 2009 at 11:27.
BIKeINSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 11:49   #10
BHPian

I believe Anthony is one of the best Bullet Mech's in Mumbai , He was also featured in overdrive .He had increased the cubic capacity from 500 cc to 600 cc and had also modded to include a rear disc brake.
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
What the Bajaj bikes have is an oil-cooler imho.
Correct.

Quote:
The engine oil keeps getting circulated through a small heat-exchanger/radiator to maintain a cooler oil temperature, there by helping maintain the fluidity/viscosity etc, resulting in smoother running and also helping the engine run a bit cooler as an indirect benefit imho.
Right again.

Quote:
That doesd not make it an "oil-cooled" engine i feel.
I have always pondered and wondered about this since Bajaj claimed oil-cooled engines and am not sure why no one finds it not so apt.
Bajaj believes in a bit of hype. It works so no one's complaining. Anyways its a good to have mod.

Question is how much does it help.

Can we test this?

Ride the above bike with a stock bike over 100 odd kms and then check oil temperature.

Now oil temperature would depend upon lot of other factors - age of the oil itself in the engine, state of tune and rider. But would it be possible to see a significant difference with the above mod.

Whats driving the oil through the cooler?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 18:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Higher cruising speeds as in less heating at higher speeds?

Cheers,

Jay
yes
thats what i was wondering
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:43   #13
BHPian

HI mantrig,

Good mod you have got there.
Can you post the picture of only the gear rod and brake so that we can see how you have modified it.it appears you have shifted the gear rod and brake a little bit to the back.

Last edited by reddy6980 : 2nd September 2009 at 09:45.
reddy6980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
HI mantrig,

Good mod you have got there.
Can you post the picture of only the gear rod and brake so that we can see how you have modified it.it appears you have shifted the gear rod and brake a little bit to the back.
Hello Reddy6980 - I certainly will post detailed pics of this mod hopefully by this weekend.

Also, this is not my bike it though it does belong to someone I know. I will get the pics of the mods you asked for along with a detailed pic of the cooling system as well

Regards,
Mantri G.
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Folks,

I am not sure if this deserved a new thread, however I just thought that it may be of interest to quite a few of Dug-Dugi owners here.

I came across a Oil-cooled Mach 500 LB this Saturday and it happened to belong to a guy who I happen to know being from the same vicinity(The bike belongs to the owner of our very famous City Bakery - Worli Naka, Mumbai).

I enquired about the mods that he has done on the bike and also asked for the moolahs he spent on the same.
  • Radiator - Is from Bajaj Pulsar and cost him 1500/- bucks
  • Seat - Has been picked up from Delhi by a friend of his and cost him a lil above 2000/- INR
  • Handle Bar - I guess its a cafe racer handle bar - Gurus please shed some light on it - Must have been close to 300/- customized.
  • Mods - Done by a guy called Anthony from Versova/Juhu (Mumbai) and he said that though the guy was a bit expensive, he is happy with the work done and is worth all the money spent.
Will get detailed pics of how the radiator has been installed if required and can also get some more details if required.

Sorry for creating a new thread, just that I found this as some information useful for members here and was not sure how common it would be.

Regards,
Mantri G.
Anthony?? not sure here but is he the guuy who makes the 600 and 650cc bullets?? his work was once featured on the hindu. check out this link.

The Hindu : Metro Plus Bangalore / Wheels : Heard of Enfield 600?

if so, i partially agree with the expensive part. he once quoted me about 1.85 lakhs for the 650cc bullet, which is a slight pinch, on my pocket atleast.
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote