Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th September 2009, 19:23   #16
BHPian

I am really agree with you Sudhir. But you what ground Reality is, RE Sales team does not sell it ration. Yes it's very true. Because Demand is more than production. May be they are myopic but its a real situation.
Although Sidhart Lal has turned around this Organization but I am really keeping my finger crossed for next three years.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 09:35   #17
BHPian

Yes what you are saying is correct, there is a big gap in demand and supply as far as bullet is concerned. I don't know why they are hesitant to increase their prodcution capacity and meet the demand.

Thanks
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 10:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
there is a big gap in demand and supply as far as bullet is concerned.
Is this true? I doubt this.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Heavier crank allows you to rev lower.
Practically speaking it lowers the RPM at which rated torque is available to the wheels.
Crank is like a momentum storage device, the heavier it is - the more it can store.

Of course it comes with its own limitations -
1. transients are slow. you cannot suddenly rev up or down. it feels as if the engine has got a mind of its own
2. you cannot rip the engine. it simply won't oblige your WOT call

So this is what will happen in a real scenario (all numbers are fictitious):
You ride a bull with light crank - you won't be able to drive at lower than 1000 rpm on say 4th gear. Say the east you can go is 1100 rpm. The beat will be shallow and fast.
You ride a bull with heavy crank - you' ll be able to rev low till 800 rpm on same 4th gear.
This beat will be deeper and slower.

This is also the reason why you can never get a proper thump from AVLs. Their crank is super light + the engine is so designed that it gives torque at higher RPMs. So the engine cannot sustain lower RPMs - and starts lugging. (plus the fact that MoC is aluminium alloy instead of cast iron which changes the sound waves characteristics)

I think Royal Enfield should think on these line to create an engine that meets the environ specs, as well as enthrall us thump loving crowd.
It is not that difficult to unravel the "mysteries" of this thump. Maybe they should come up with a super-thumper.

Something that can beat the puny snarl of v twins (you got it right - Harleys)
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:54   #20
BHPian

@Spitire, Yes you have to believe it! There is an increase in demand for bulls. Especially the young generation have started showing interest in bulls off late. One more fact, the demand for heavier crankwala std is more in Punjab and Kerala. One more interesting fact, these are two states that share the 1st and 2nd position in consumption of 'Spirit'(OT) in India.

@alpha1, you put it in simple words!

Last edited by sudheermenon : 11th September 2009 at 17:06.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:46   #21
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

So finally I have booked a new std bullet. They had two options in std model.

Std Ordinary and Std Special. The difference is in Seat, Handle and Indicators. I have opted for Special.

I will get the bull tomorrow. I will update with pics and reviews in a couple of days time.

Thanks
Old 16th September 2009, 18:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 19:43   #23
BHPian

what the difference in cost between std & spl.
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:50   #24
BHPian

heard it the first time.. i think ripped you somehow ? Is your handle a bit like electra ? and white indicators ?? if yes then its the normal model only & by chance they had some 2008 model which they quoted you as normal & the new 2009 model which came after april as spl . I might be wrong. But never heard of anything like SPL & normal
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 10:00   #25
BHPian

Thanks Jay

@rm_arjuna, the cost difference is just Rs.1000

@Shan, you might be correct. The differerences are what you have mentioned. May be some sales gimmick.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:00   #26
BHPian

Sudheer, Shan
Here in Kerala, the STD350 has been available as Std and Std special for long. The Std special has a premium of Rs1000, comes with the Electras stepped seat, handlebar and chromed indicators.

Sudheer, Congrats on your new ride! Happy thumping!

Last edited by bmw_m5_titus : 17th September 2009 at 12:01.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 16:10   #27
BHPian

Really! But I came to know about this recently only. Is offered in other parts of India also?
Old 17th September 2009, 23:13   #28
BHPian

i am in north india & here we are getting the SPL model only as normal standard.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 10:05   #29
BHPian

Default The Bull Has Landed

Hi Guys,
I took delivery of my Bullet yesterday. I have only one word to say that I am REALLY REALLY SATISFIED. Before going into the details let me pen down a brief history of my two wheeler experience. I had a 1999 model bullet which we used it for around 5 yrs. But it had light crank weight and was a bit uneasy to drive. We sold it in 2004 and in 2006 I bought a pulsar. But I was not happy with that too. I sold it in 2007. The next one was a Suzuki Access 125 which I bought in 2008. It indeed was a good scooter to drive especially in city, but it gave me another problem. Back pain! So I sold that one month back and by this time I had learned a good lesson that, there is nothing which can replace the comfort of Bullet. So I booked my bullet last week and got it delivered yesterday.

Since I haven't used the bull for around 5yrs, and used other types of two wheelers, it was a little bit confusing initially. But everything came back to track in 1hrs drive.

Now about the bullet. It costed be Rs. 79,232 OTR in Cochin. When I took the delivery the odo read 15 kms. I had to pay 1695 for the Crash guard, Sari Guard, ladies handle etc. From the showroom, I straightaway took him to the temple for a pooja and then to home.

Yesterday night I couldn't sleep for two reasons. One for the excitement of taking him to my office and another big reason - answering a hell lot of questions by my elder son who is 7yrs old. He is very eager to know about each and every part of bullet. He asked me whether I can drop him to his school in bullet. But I asked him to wait for two days time. When his school van came, to my surprise his friends jumped out from the van to see the bullet. Then only I came to know about the publicity my son has given about the bullet.

Today morning it showed a small starting trouble. I had to kick 5-10 times to start it. May be the climate was very cool. Lets see how is goes tomorrow.

I will update with more reviews and pics during the weekend.

Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 10:09   #30
BHPian

Congratulation and best wishes! Bullet ownership is one the most satisfying motorcycle ownership experiences.
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote