Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th September 2009, 12:25   #46
BHPian

@suren181, a ladies handle is nothing but a handle which is fixed on the middle of the right side so that ladies can hold on to it. It is not necessary, but I fixed it since it had a hook also on which I can hang something, like a grocery bag or so. The shape of it is something like two 'U' s facing each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Congratulations, looks like you have gone back to your first love,

Just a word of caution, since yuou have been a Bullet user, you would know about the heat generated on the Bend Pipe.

Be Careful with your 7 year old, I have two brats at home and it is very difficult for me to have them keep their hands off the wrong parts, especially the bend pipe. I have seen them try to hold it while sitting down/Squatting to look at the engine bay.

Cheers!
Shiv, what you have said is very important point. Now I have a tough time keeping them away (I too have two kids the younger being 4yrs). The younger is little bit scared of bullet. So he don't come near to it, but still I am very cautious.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th September 2009 at 18:29. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:02   #47
BHPian

Oh thats what it is eh. Thanks for the patience in explaining it's function.

Now when are we gonna be allowed to feast our eyes on the Bullet? Where are the snaps?

One of the major factors that I like about the Bullet is that being old school it still has a lot of metal on it, unlike the more plasticky machines of recent times.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:15   #48
BHPian

@suren181, I will upload them tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 14:09   #49
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post

Just a word of caution, since you have been a Bullet user, you would know about the heat generated on the Bend Pipe.

Cheers!
Oh ya, the bend pipe, i recently received my first kiss from my bull to my toe. It really gets hot, careful with the kids.
Pretorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
@bantejas, my starting procedure is like

1. I kick the lever a few times before switching the ignition on with fuel cut off
2. I switch the ignition on, fuel on decompress and ensure that the ammeter reads zero
3. Kick the lever to start.

Is there any mistake...?
It seems fine. Now I am wondering why do you need so many kicks to start off the bike. On choke I'm very sure it will start in a single kick but please don't do this unless and untill it is really required. It's not a bad habit though according to me but still I'd advice against it. What's the temperature like out there? These days in Bangalore (off late it has been pretty cold), it usually starts with the first one and but some times I need to kick it at the most 3-4 times.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Bantejas,

A carb in perfect/slightly lean state of tune, most often requires the choke to be used during cold starts. Any specific reason why the choke shouldn't be used for cold starts?

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 18:11   #52
BHPian

The Bull supplies oil to the rockers the chambers and elsewhere using the worm roller and the mechanical pump.

while it is standing still, the oil flows back into the Sump, It is very important to work out the lubrication within the chamber before you fire it.

So a few kicks with the Ignition turned off, helps lubricate the chambers, the rockers etc. also help work up the mixture right for firing.

Hope this helped.!
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 18:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^Exactly. Priming the engine.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 20:05   #54
BHPian

Sudheer. There is no specific reason as to why the choke should not be used. Infact the choke is also called the starter circuit on some carbs like the dellorto PHBM and the Mikuni VM28 and they have their own independent starter jets and circuits. Its good practice to give a few dead kicks in the morn before firing, "like pumping a Jawa", which is what I do for my Bull. IMO the Mikarb VM24 on the Std model is tuned lean and further your bike is new and running in and every bullet is different and has its own characteristic, so your bike is busy developing its character and things will settle down close to 3000 Kms.

Happy riding.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 21:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Bantejas,

A carb in perfect/slightly lean state of tune, most often requires the choke to be used during cold starts. Any specific reason why the choke shouldn't be used for cold starts?

Cheers,

Jay
Jay,

There's no reason why you shouldn't be using the choke at all! Everyone does use it when required/cold start. What I meant here is to use the choke when required. A good/perfect carb of what I think usually takes care of the morning starts (at normal bangalore/Kerala temperatures)! Hence I asked again whats the temperature like there at this point of time.

For some reason, I don't use the choke to start my bike unless and untill the place is too cold (it doesn't make much sense to me either but it has worked for me).
I just upgraded to micarb 28 and still haven't used the choke to start. Using choke is like a giving fresh breath to the engine. If the jetting is good/petrol flow to the carb too is good then the compression generated by the bullet is enough for the engine to start (I might be wrong, please correct me if I am).

However I am reiterating: choke should be used as and when required and almost everyone uses it for cold starts (cmon, it is been given for us to use it appropriately).

I have come across thousands of people in fact using choke even when the engine is hot.

Tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 21:51   #56
BHPian

When I first got my bike, I used to be able to start it every morning on the first kick, but I was getting terrible mileage (~25 kmpl). Got it tuned, and now it takes me atleast 5 kicks after priming to get it going.

If I turn on the choke and start, it doesnt even fire. If I have the choke set to off, but keep the throttle closed, it fires, but dies almost immediately.

If I open the throttle a little bit (or increase the idling with a half turn of the screw) it manages to fire and start, but it cuts off after a couple of beats. Usually, the second or third time gets it going. I let her idle for a bit and the rpm automatically increases after a couple of seconds (I'm guessing this happens because things are better lubed then, despite the priming). I then return the idle screw to its original setting and push off.

This is only an issue during cold starts. Warm starts are usually one-kick affairs, if my kicker doesnt fall off

Any idea what the problem could be? I have a feeling it may be running rich since applying the choke makes it refuse to start. Even if it is already running, and I apply the choke, it cuts off.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 11:03   #57
BHPian

My two cents regarding the cold starting,

I have noticed in my machismo 500, which is just 340 kms old..i religiously start it almost everytime using the kick, i only use electric start when the bike is still warm, lets say when i am on the signal or the bike was off for like 5 minutes..According to the manual, and other bulleteers you should turn the ignition off and kick her with clutch depressed for a few times so that the engine is all oiled before she fires up. and then i decompress her like 5 times. and then final kick to get her started.
Cons for the same: No idea,
Pros for the same : i think when you engage first gear after warming her up the gear change is smooth as butter..

Please verify this guys ?? , i think there is noticeable difference by doing so..and there is no problem using the choke whenever needed just remember to turn it off in like 10 seconds and use the throttle to get her idling without stopping, Just dont rev it real hard.
blurust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 14:06   #58
BHPian

When you kick with the clutch depressed, it does not turn the engine so I doubt oil is being oiled up druring that stage. If you would have noticed, when you press the clutch, your kicker goes loose. It does, however, help in disengaging a 'sticky' clutch, which is probably why engaging first gear is so easy after starting it for the first time.

I feel that while you are decomping her 5 times is when the oil is actually being circulated around the engine.

Either way, it is a decent start-up regimen...especially if it works!
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 10:00   #59
BHPian

Default Pics of my Bull

Friends,

Here are the pics of the bull.

Regarding starting the my Bull, I haven't used the choke yet, though the morning temparature is sometimes 25-26C. The reason why I am kicking it before switching on the ignition has been explained by Shiv already. Thanks Shiv.

I have bought a set of Roots horn for my bull. I need to fix it tomorrow. The stock horn has a weird sound which not at all suits to a Bull.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 21st September 2009, 12:11   #60
BHPian

Very nice looking bull man it looks like a copy to mine lol ! offtopic : is Bull ( male ? ) !

How do you clean the Cylinder ( the brush is unable to clean), someone said to use diesel fuel once a month ? any idea ?
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote