Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st September 2009, 13:29   #61
BHPian

Great looking machine, it looks awesome in Black
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 14:47   #62
BHPian

Congrats Sudheer, The bike looks really awesome.

The crome is looking really beautiful.

Ride safe & Happy Thumping,
Mantri G.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 23:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Very nice looking bull man it looks like a copy to mine lol ! offtopic : is Bull ( male ? ) !

How do you clean the Cylinder ( the brush is unable to clean), someone said to use diesel fuel once a month ? any idea ?

Shan, cleaning with diesel with a good option. It will remove the dirt, especially greasy things pretty easily.
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 23:35   #64
BHPian

@sudheer : MY Bull is always sparkling clean, but when i see some dirt in the cylinder blades, i try to clean them, now will try using Diesel fuel thanks
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:13   #65
BHPian

Congrats on your buy and hope your son enjoys 'driving' it as well. Assumption is that a bullet lasts you a life time.
Few questions from me.
- People generally say that buying a new bullet is like buying a new headache. They say that you have to continuously be behind it to ensure it starts properly and stuff like that.Is it True?
- Also people do mention that the Electra is a much better engine that than std 350.
Can anyone confirm if this is true.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
- Also people do mention that the Electra is a much better engine that than std 350.
Can anyone confirm if this is true.
This is not true at all! Both are CIs.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:39   #67
BHPian

Ok if it is not the engines , think it is the carb or the clutch assembly.
Basically I just want to know if other than the electric start and the 'correct' side gears , is there any difference at all between the two , specification wise.
It would be appreciated if anyone who has real time experience on the two bikes give their advice.

Last edited by RP_812 : 22nd September 2009 at 12:52. Reason: added more specifics to the post.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Ok i am going to do some magic now and get the information for you.

I will tell you the secret later as to how it is done.

First the answer to your query:

The difference (Technical, not cosmetic):

Transmission:
Electra 5s: 5 Speed (Left Foot Gear Shift)
Bullet 350 STD: 4 Speed (Right Foot Gear shift)

Ignition:
Electra 5s: TCI (Transistor Coil Ignition)
Bullet 350 STD: CB (Contact Breaker Points)

Brakes: Front only
Electra 5s: Disc Brakes (Dia 280 mm)
Bullet 350 STD: 7" Drum Brakes

Everything else is common.

Now i will tell you the magic on how i got the information. All you need is a internet connection and a PC.

And then click on this link: Motorcycles | Motorcycle India | Motorcycles Manufacturer

You will get much more details then what i have posted above. They even have pictures of the models on sale.

RE has taken a lot of pain in setting up the above website for people like us.

Last edited by Spitfire : 22nd September 2009 at 12:58.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:42   #69
BHPian

Hey Spitfire , thanks for the information.
Here again since I do have an internet connection and PC , i did visit the site but I wanted to know anyone having practical experience on the two to let me know their views as well.
This is more of an advertising website and it would not tell you things like "Engine does not start in cold weather until the choke is used" and miniscule details which go into making a Bull.
That is what I am truly intrested in.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are lot of threads for newbies to browse through. Look at the ownership reviews by various owners here.

Look at it this way. The Electra 5s was launched to attract buyers who shied away from the 350 STD for reasons like CB points and right gear shifts. They added ES to complete the package.

The TCI is a "new gen" ignition system compared to the points. With points you need to adjust and replace the points over a period. Its maintenance heavy and will need the settings to be checked regularly.

Other then that cold morning (i am not talking temperatures below 15 deg) starts with choke are the norm for both bikes.

There is no difference mechanically(other then 5 gears) otherwise to make them very different from each other. The hearts the same.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:36   #71
BHPian

Thank you Mr Spitfire..Apologies to sudheermenon for hi-jacking this thread for a few insightful posts.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Spitfire , thanks for the information.
Here again since I do have an internet connection and PC , i did visit the site but I wanted to know anyone having practical experience on the two to let me know their views as well.
This is more of an advertising website and it would not tell you things like "Engine does not start in cold weather until the choke is used" and miniscule details which go into making a Bull.
RP,

If you are looking a at a fill it-shut it-forget it motorcycle, the bullet isn't for you. Usually you will have minor niggles, or major ones if you are unlucky, as the quality on the CI bulls especially, is scratchy to say the least.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:43   #73
BHPian

RP,

To answer your question in simple words, yes, bullet needs more care(I would say more love and affection!) The more you take care of your bull, the more it will return for years. Thats the secret behind your papas old bullet that he maintained for years. I am sure he will still love it. A Bullet owner buys and maintains a bullet because of shear passion and love for it. So if you have that passion, then nothing prevents you from owning it. It will never be a headache. Your kids are never a headache for you.

Regarding comparison of electra and std, I think std is more comfortable to ride because of the increased crank weight. Its for that relaxed driving. I am not sure how many among the forum agree with that. Its what I personally feel

Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Regarding comparison of electra and std, I think std is more comfortable to ride because of the increased crank weight. Its for that relaxed driving. I am not sure how many among the forum agree
You can hold a higher gear at lower rpms that's it - because of kinetic energy stored and all that tech (jazz).

Ideally it's better to have a lighter crank.

The Bullet (350 STD) is more of a cruiser then a stop and go traffic tool. The heavier crank does help ride-ability in traffic. But then that's not what the bike is meant for.

Getting to top speeds quickly is not its forth because of the crank.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:38   #75
BHPian

Default 200 Kms Update

An update of the drive so far. The odo reached 200 today. So far the ride has been quite good. Off late I have noticed some issues.
1. When I use the side stand, petrol is leaking from under the tank cap. So I don't use the side stand now. I need to take the bull to the service center to check that.
2. There is a small bursting sound when I start the bull in the morning after some time it goes off.
3. The handle bar is little tight when I turn it towards the right side fully. I have to exert some pressure more than usual to turn it to the right and back.
4. There is a small screeching sound coming from the rear wheel when we move it the bull back/forth.

Accessories added includes;
1. A set of roots horn
2. An indicator buzzer.
The front brake is totally useless. I need to fix a disc brake soon. Any body knows how much it would cost for me?