Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th September 2009, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Default Advice needed on buying a bullet std 350 Edit - Now Delivered

Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy a bullet. The one in my mind is a standard one since it has a heavier crank among the ones offered by enfield. A new one costs around 80K OTR in Cochin. At the same time I am looking for a used one in good condition. I happned to see a 1995 model one which was fully reworked and they are asking a final price of 60K. Is it too high a price? Please provide me your valuable inputs.

Thanks
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 14:20   #2
BHPian

!!!

It is freaking high! Even if the bike is in an immaculate condition, the price is way too much high. In Bangalore, you can get the second hand ones (90s model) right from 30K to 40K. Btw, I don't think that the '95 models have the heavier crank. I am not too sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy a bullet. The one in my mind is a standard one since it has a heavier crank among the ones offered by enfield. A new one costs around 80K OTR in Cochin. At the same time I am looking for a used one in good condition. I happned to see a 1995 model one which was fully reworked and they are asking a final price of 60K. Is it too high a price? Please provide me your valuable inputs.

Thanks
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 14:43   #3
BHPian

If you are surely looking only for heavier crank, then look something pre 80's, moreover you should be able to find one within a budget 25-30k.
Get it properly overhauled as per your requirement and enjoy your ride
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 15:12   #4
NIP
Senior - BHPian

If you're ready to shell out 60k for a used bike, it makes sense to fork out the extra bucks and buy the new one.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 15:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs.

The mechanic says the bullet was fully overhauled. He has painted it too. But still, I believe its too high.

One more query, does the new std bullets have the same crank weight as the older ones, I mean the ones born between 70s-80s?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th September 2009 at 16:13. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 4th September 2009, 18:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Whats the affinity for a heavier crank?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 18:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Spitfire - You beat me to it, I was going to ask the same question

@sudheermenon - Does it thump better with the heavier crank?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 18:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Whats the affinity for a heavier crank?
Dear Spitfire,
I own a bullet electra 4 speed from the last 3 years.
I've heard this heavier crank quite a lot and have tried to understand that too.
From what i've understood, a heavier crank helps acheiving a heavier thump and the thump would be for a longer time. In simpler words(electra wud do dud-dud-dud-dud in say 5 seconds then pre 80 bullet wud do duudd-duudd in 5 seconds)
Also, lighter cranks have a better top speed while the heavier cranks have a better low end grunt.
All of this is what i've learnt on a hear-say basis.
Maybe, some bullet pros could enlighten more.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 20:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the heavier crank produces low end torque and basically helps you thump along in 4th gear at speeds of 35-40Ks.

Sudheer,

The STD350s in production right now are coming with the heavier crank. So, don't worry. Meanwhile, buy the new STD350 than the used ones since the fit and finish nowadays is better than before.

PS: Go for the STD350 man. The legend won't be made for too long.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 20:34   #10
BHPian

Sudheer i would suggest u buy a new Std 350 if it fits your budget, 60k for the used bike is an absolute rip off atleast in delhi it is.

Also i dont know if the new Std come with heavier crank or lighter crank but believe u me the new Std sounds pretty much the same as my electra does.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 20:53   #11
BHPian

Hey Sudheer,

Please understand the concept of the British Single, these bikes were designed for cross country rides (as in those days nobody was in a hurry) and that there were no perfect roads.

The heavier crank gave the machine's CRANK turning momentum to pull through the country side roads without frequent gear changes.

The heavier crank was removed from the configuration post 1976 and has been reintroduced ONLY on the 350 STD since September 2008. (I could be wrong here it could be 2007)

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM BULLET MECH's, these guys are worse than lepers on the road.

Look for a guy who can get you a good AIR SCREW Mix for the perfect combustion and the rest you can all get it done from Authorized workshops.

I am attaching a PLUG chart for your reference, a good air screw mix will not foul your plugs and ensure trouble free riding.

Please buy the bike for 60K onLY if your worst enemy is paying for it and naother 60K to you for royalty.

I ahve two 500's and I am speaking from my heart today on a friday evening.

Cheers!
Attached Images

shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:13   #12
BHPian

Thanks friends for your comments and advice.

I have dropped the idea of buying the used one. I am going to the enfield showroom to book a new one. One thing I have noticed about the enfield sales team is that, they are not at all aggressive. The shop is like a govt office. They lack interest in explaining things and the attitude is totally bad.

As far as I am concerned, I am looking for a heavier crank because I can drive it without frequent gear changes. I had a 2000 std model with me and it had a lighter crank and I would say it was very difficult to drive since I had to shift the gear down whenever the speedometet needle goes below 40km. I sold it in 2004.

The current model has a crank weight of 10.5kg or so compared to 7.5kg of my old bullet. But it still doesn't match with the 12.5kg of pre 76 models.

I think though the name says bullet, I personally feels, it is not for high speed driving. Bullet is for that comfortable, cool ride, and I am not a fast driver too

Thanks
Old 6th September 2009, 18:25   #13
BHPian

Smile Amazing Experience

I own a new bullet std 350 & i am in love with it from day 5 . Congrats to you & hope to see & hear how your experience goes on this one.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 14:10   #14
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Thanks friends for your comments and advice... ...I am going to the enfield showroom to book a new one... The shop is like a govt office. They lack interest in explaining things and the attitude is totally bad.

I think though the name says bullet, I personally feels, it is not for high speed driving. Bullet is for that comfortable, cool ride, and I am not a fast driver too

Thanks
From what you say its about the Company Showroom a.k.a Brand store, i hope. All i have got to say is this Govt office is far better than the other Private office in same city. You need the product or just some attitude selling?

Respect your opinion on riding speeds. But its worth try seeing the limits-how your bull run at speeds, atleast once in a while on clear straight roads. Sure this brings in more respect for the age old engineering.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 18:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
From what you say its about the Company Showroom a.k.a Brand store, i hope. All i have got to say is this Govt office is far better than the other Private office in same city. You need the product or just some attitude selling?

Respect your opinion on riding speeds. But its worth try seeing the limits-how your bull run at speeds, atleast once in a while on clear straight roads. Sure this brings in more respect for the age old engineering.
As far as I am concerned though we all are looking at the product, the attitude with which you sell product really matters. When you are very eager to know more and more about your favourite bike and you have a lethargic salesperson, I am sure it will kill the interest in buyer. There are two types of buyers, those who knows about what they are looking at and those who don't have much idea about. The lethargic attitude will definitely kill the second one.

[/quote]