Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th September 2009, 23:57   #1
BHPian

Default Picked up a 2005 RE Thunderbird

Hello guys,
I just picked up a 2005 RE Thunderbird [Dual colour-Black/Silver]after selling off my 1990 RX100 as my daily ride. Paid 45k. The bike has done around 30k kms and the black paint has faded a bit with some minor rust on the bend pipe. The bike had undergone an engine overhaul some 2 weeks ago. And he also told me that the crank bearings doesnt last long on Thunderbirds. Is it true? Does the AVL Engine needs constsnt attention? It was making a lot of noise when i took the test drive last week. Hmm. but the owner boy who is a friend of my younger brother told me that he hasnt adjusted the tappets after the overhauling. Well, im not an expert on 4-strokes. And today, the bike was delivered to me after some minor servicing and adjustments. Well, the sound is there but it is milder now. Still, a very annoying one for me. What could be wrong? Please tell how can i get rid of that sound? Oh! forgot to tell. The engine heats like an anvil. Is it regular with RE AVLs?

The rear tyre has worn out. What are the better rear tyre options for my Thunderbird? I mean broader ones. What about MRF Meteor 110/90/19 ? How does it perform on usual roads? I drive on city roads only. And Kerala has long, wet, rainy season. So, please advice

Will post the pics tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by aruncheloor : 14th September 2009 at 23:59.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 00:08   #2
BHPian

congrats on your purchase. Any Royal Enfield Does make the mechanical clatter. If the sound of the tapets ( if you are sure its from tapets ) is too loud, you can get my fixed, by telling the mechanic about that sound. But there will be a constant sound from tapets ( at minimum level ) & you cannot change that. Rest Bull gurus here will tell.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 02:27   #3
BHPian

Arun bhai, So you picked up an RE too? Some people have all the luck! RD,RE,RX phew!
Go for a short bottle exhaust/ goldie, you will not hear the clatter from avl mill over the roar/thump of the exhaust! Good solution,eh?
Congrats!
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:48   #4
BHPian

RX for RE., you for sure getting old.

forget noise & worries any at the moment. Its a newer machine, try getting it set as close to factory specs, ride for some time, know the machine, be clear on what needs attention. Mech's at times tend to overdo if you look too much concerned about noise issues etc.

happy thumping!

Last edited by Rennjit : 15th September 2009 at 11:51.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:56   #5
BHPian

congrats on your buy dude. Even i was searching for a thunderbird in bangalore but the rates were too high. I was not able to digest that i need to sell my yamaha rx100 to buy a TB. So dint sell RX100 too, booked a new TBTS and waiting for delivery
buvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 19:34   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.

@ Titus.. Dude, i sold my RX man. so, you can make it "RD,RE,__ phew!" he he. Yea, even im a fan of the Goldie by Sans Inc. But, at present, this mechanical clatter is killing me. The guy in the petrol bunk asked me " you need diesel na?" when i went there to fill petrol.. just becuse of that noise. Hmm.

@ Renjjie.. Yes buddy, im getting old for sure. But as i had told you.. will let you know first if ever in my life i decide to sell of my RD. He he.. will give it to you for a killer discount price.. he he

I checked out the MRF Meteor 110/90/19. Surely, it looks nice. Looks way broader than i expected. The dealer quoted me a price of rs.1700/-. But, he also told me that he is not sure whether the stock swing arm of Thunderbird would take it or not. He asked me to consult with a RE mech before purchasing the tyre. Inputs please..

Last edited by aruncheloor : 15th September 2009 at 19:36.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your acquiring of the RE.Those dualcolours were good.Is this the Aluminium engine or the good old iron block?
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 23:09   #8
BHPian

Its an Aluminium Block.. the AVL version
Old 16th September 2009, 08:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your bike.

You might like to read thru: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-pictures.html (RE ThunderBird Service : with Pictures.)

About the clatter, get a nice helmet.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 00:12   #10
BHPian

That was a nice read. Thanks. Here is a pic of my Bull
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a 2005 RE Thunderbird-dsc01559.jpg  

Old 17th September 2009, 02:27   #11
BHPian

nice bike there ! If you would want to have the chrome parts shine, go in for the white chrome powder, costs Rs10/- per packet ( approx ) and it will be as good as new.

Also you might want to get a better front leg guard just my opinion.

Two cheers for you
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 13:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Also you might want to get a better front leg guard just my opinion.

Mixed responses in

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...on-thread.html (The Crash Guards Discussion Thread)
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Lovely looking bike. congrats once again and enjoy riding it.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Took her to the RE Dealer today where the boy got it overhauled. They inspected my bike and asked me to change the tappets and the timing gear/ cam wheel. It will cost me around 3k. They also suspects a partial seizure. They say, it was sleeved just 2 weeks ago and new piston, rings were put in. But, the boy was not doing a proper run-in they believe. They said it can be cured with fine emery paper if its mild. Otherwise, i'll have to change the bore-piston kit. It will cost me another 3k. What to do? Please suggest.. im thinking of just changing the tappets and cam wheel for the time being.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:55   #15
BHPian

bro' it seems bit of trick works from dealer/ previous owner.
Sleeved barrel, partial seizure, cam-tappets gone, suspected not-so-well run-in etc. Ask dealer why this sleeve job when new bore replacement is available. It seems a poor cheap sleeving-repair trial resulting in bore scoring-seizure. Cam-tappets are WEAR parts, they wont degrade in such short time.

If you trust dealer, go for new parts from him. Else insist to repair the barrel & replace minimal parts, then get it checked elsewhere. & yes factory bore is definitely better than most sleeve jobs here. Good luck for your Bird
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote