Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th October 2009, 07:56   #1
Default Open Chain Scenario in Bikes!

For the sake of being more 'sporty' bike manufacturers have now started the concept of 'open' chain i.e. they got rid of the Chain Cover in many bikes currently for eg:
1) P220
2) FZ
3) RTR
4) P200
5) Avenger

Bajaj claims that its open chains are maintenance free with some "O" ring design. But any laymen can tell that a chain with a cover will eventually last more than a chain without one in the long run!!!

Now, I own a new P220 DTSi and a recent visit to the service center brought a 'notice' to my notice reading "For bikes like Avenger, P200, P220 customers need to grease the chain once in 1000kms".

I dont think going to the service center like that is too feasible.

I have seen some P200 bikes earlier with silly noise from the engine side. Now I realise it was due to the mud and dirt in chain (and noise came from the gearbox side and not the engine as i was mistaken at that time), either ways it was annoying and giving a bad feeling about a bike as a whole and sometimes people get mistaken saying "see how much sound is coming from that Bajaj Engine of P200".

I dont want that to happen to my bike.
Does anyone know what grade oil/grease can be put on to the chain for P220? I hope if we have that stuff at home we dont need to rush to the service center, after all the chain is 'open' and moreover we can do it frequently so that it eliminates the possibility of that stupid sound too!

Still Kudos to Zma, they know the reason!!!
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 08:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't grease an open chain. If you grease an open chain abrasive particles, like sand for example, picked up from the road would stick to the grease it into an abrasive mixture. For an open O-ringed chain use a chain spray to lubricate it, or as a cheaper alternative use heavy oil. In dusty conditions chain cleaning and lubing should be done religiously for best performance of the bike with an open chain.

Karizma comes with non o-ring type chain that's the reason they use a chain cover. But chain cover is a boon in our conditions but it has it's on set of problems. Your bike has an O-ring chain.

Best chain maintenance is this: Scottoiler - Automatic Chain Lubrication System
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 10:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

use heavy duty oil - it works fine. I have removed the chain cover of my Unicorn and I use oil to clean / lube the chain every 750-1000 km. It works fine with me.
I remember once talking with Nandan (Mtech motors, Bangalore) and he ws telling that the proper way to lube a chain is to lube it by immersing the chain in hot liquid grease - but we were talking about non O-ring chains.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 11:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

I use WD 40.

A chain typically lasts about 30k kms on my bike.
Currently on the third chain.

I use the ordinary chain and not the O-ring type.

My mechanic blames my lugging habit for low chain life.
5th gear 20-25kmph riding.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 12:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

For guys who have sari clad ladies riding pillion, naked chains are a no-no. My wife rides to work with me everyday, and I am planning to replace the Splendor shortly. But most of the bikes that catch my fancy come without chain guards. Even though they may not foul with the saris, they may still throw muck at them.

Without a doubt, chain guards enhance the life of the chain in our dusty conditions. The OEM chain and sprockets of my Splendor were replaced only at the 73000 KM mark, in spite of me giving a free hand to my HHASS in these matters.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th October 2009 at 12:04.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 12:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this thread.My Apache RTR 180 is Just a Month Old.What I did Every Week or So is to Approach Friendly Roadside Mechanic to Lube With SAE90 Gear Oil.Of course ,it is Dirty and leaves Oil in Your Car Porch, But Does The Job.
I am going to use Chain Lubes Since it is Claimed this can Stay for 400kms or So for O-Ring Chains.Chain Cleaning(Degreaser) and Lubing is Not Easy ,I guess. Check Youtube for Videos Showing the Correct Chain Maintenance Procedure(Cleaning and Lubrication).

@sam_sant2005: Dude ,Yesterday I bought Motul Chain Lube from Auto Queen,Kaloor Costing Rs480.I am waiting for Motul Chain Cleaner as they don't have the stock.Waiting to Try this.

Another Option is OKS451 Chain Lube Costing around Rs220 or So available in Bajaj Service Centres(Popular Bajaj Stocks this).

Check this thread as well:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...cle-chain.html (Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain)
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote