Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th October 2009, 16:18   #1

Angry Hero Honda Splendor problems after reboring

I had my splendor 2000 model engine rebored a week back.Now I face numerous problems :

1> Kick starting problem: whenever I try to kick the bike,it will start after four/five attempts. While kicking it feels more like as if i am holding pulling the clutch half way through in first gear & then trying to kick.I dont feel the kickback from the kick rod.

2> while riding if I engage the clutch without revving the engine,the engine stops.

3> engine becomes very hot even if i ride only 10-15kms

4> the clutch freeplay is sometimes very less & sometimes too much even though i dont adjust it at all.How should the clutch freeplay be adjusted just after reboring?

5>The mechanic told me that the carbuereter had become leaky & hence needs to be changed.I didnot change it.Could it be the cause of the above problems?Is it possible to repair a carbuereter? Can I fit a karizma/CBZ/any performance bike carbuereter instead of splendor original?

6> After Reboring,what engine oil should I use: castrol magnatec or castrol 4t+

7> I would like to change the rear sprocket for a smaller one to increase top speed: what size(no. of teeth) & brand should I use.

Some details:
  • Engine cylinder rebored.
  • Engine exhaust port slightly "opened"
  • New piston (0.5),New Piston Rod,new clutch bell(splendor) ,new clutch plate(unicorn),New clutch cable ,new spark plug(mico) basically changed almost everything possible.
  • the ignition/headlight coils had been modified a year ago to increase output current for headlight.
shome13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 17:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is pretty clear that the job your mechanic has done is pretty shabby. Seems you have compression leakage. If you continue riding like this, chances are you are looking at another major overhaul pretty soon.

I don't see any point in thinking about performance mods on a Splendour... like changing the carb, as you suggested. Leakage, if caused by faulty gaskets could be solved by changing them. Or it could be a problem with the float. Any work done on the Carb will require a really good mechanic.

Castrol Magnatec should NOT be used. And why do you want to use Castrol 4t? Or any Castrol for that matter? There are much better oils. Even the HH Idemitsu/Tide Water oil is better. Gulf is better still.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is sad, same thing happened to me after my Shogun engine rebuilding few years back. Gun lost its power and performance and finally had to sell if of for 5K.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 18:32   #4
BHPian

Hey shome,

Where did you get the job done ?

Why are you trying to do any modification to a Splendor?

As Raccoon suggests, tuning the Carb is a precision job. The guy doing it should be really good.Leaking in the carb is not an issue as the gasket would have given way or flooding is happening.

There is nothing much to repair in the carb,since it has only few things in it. The pilot jet, main jet, the float. None of these give you any problems as such.

Just visit a good guy and get the job fixed.

Let me know if you need help, since i know a nice guy in Vijaynagar who is really good.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 19:57   #5
BHPian

Oh, thats really bad. You should have done a bit of research on this before choosing on service center, was it a Authorized HH SC where you did a rebore ? Mine was a 99 splendor and the folks here in MPM, Sec'bad did a very good job 2 years ago (touch wood). Obviously after a rebore, there are few things we need to keep in mind, like all humans, even a bike ages, so don't rev beyond 60kmph and have it serviced every 3k and your baby will take care of you.
Pretorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 00:59   #6
BHPian

as far as i am concerned, re-boring is a waste especially when it comes to small bore bikes. the best way is to get a NEW bore kit (especially for a bike like the splendor) rather than a re-bore. re-boring may save you a couple of thousand bucks but might lead to these kind of complications.

i suggest that you take the bike to a good dealer and have him redo the engine with a new bore kit. and also remember to reset the head too with new valves and guides.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 01:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^^ What does age in itself have to do with reving beyond 60??

This "servicing" every x km is a also a dicy word. Most service centers seem to just wash the bike (that too shabbily), change the oil with something semi-spurious and claim to have "serviced" the bike. Unless you take personal interest, most problems will most likely remain unresolved.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:42   #8
BHPian

I totally agree with @hollywoodhogan. Reboring does not work because use of old wornout machines which have no accuracy left and to add to it the skill of the worker which is a big question mark itself.
Always replace with a new cylinder block,new original size piston,new bearings for crankshaft and connecting rod at both ends. New valve seat,new valve,new valve guide. This would make ur engine good enough.Also please ensure that u get it done from a known shop which specializes in engine work.(I do not trust the authorised centres for this job, have been cheated once already). After all the above work do a gentle run-in procedure with new mineral oil and the bike would be fine. I dont think the problems what u have mentioned is with the carb,its more to do with the engine rework done which is poor for sure.You can check this by fitment of a borrowed carb and then check performance. Let the mechanic also do a clutch setting and take a pillion and try to do some steep inclines you will come to know if its the carb to blame or the engine rework has gone wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
as far as i am concerned, re-boring is a waste especially when it comes to small bore bikes. the best way is to get a NEW bore kit (especially for a bike like the splendor) rather than a re-bore. re-boring may save you a couple of thousand bucks but might lead to these kind of complications.

i suggest that you take the bike to a good dealer and have him redo the engine with a new bore kit. and also remember to reset the head too with new valves and guides.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shome13 View Post

4> the clutch freeplay is sometimes very less & sometimes too much even though i dont adjust it at all.How should the clutch freeplay be adjusted just after reboring?

5>The mechanic told me that the carbuereter had become leaky & hence needs to be changed.I didnot change it.Could it be the cause of the above problems?Is it possible to repair a carbuereter? Can I fit a karizma/CBZ/any performance bike carbuereter instead of splendor original?

7> I would like to change the rear sprocket for a smaller one to increase top speed: what size(no. of teeth) & brand should I use.

8) New piston (0.5),New Piston Rod,new clutch bell(splendor) ,new clutch plate(unicorn),New clutch cable ,new spark plug(mico) basically changed almost everything possible.
3) May be the new piston + shabby job is reason for this. After this job you have to run in the bike, but then not much as you have not changed the block. A shabby job is done for sure.

4) Its not very difficult to adjust. I think almost all small capacity Indian bikes have this facility. I cannot exactly pinpoint where it is in Splendor, but can easily tell that a badly adjusted clutch will give you problem. I did this mistake on my Caliber where I completely eliminated freeplay in clutch for quicker shifting. Later on reverted to original setting.
Look for the clutch cable joining/reaching engine. There will be two nuts and this is from where you will have to adjust the clutch freeplay ( I might be wrong here though as I have worked on Caliber, but not splendor much ).
Dont do it yourself, assign this job to a good mechanic.

5) Carburetor has to be changed if it has developed leaks. Generally overhauling works, but all this depends upon how many kms the bike has done. Its possible to repair, but its better to change.
These are 100cc bikes, so best stick to optimum recommendations from manufacturers. Dont install CBZ or any such carb. First bring your bike into good shape.

7) This is not recommended as currently your bike is not in optimum form. Next these 100cc bikes dont have a good top end to give you real benefit of s small sproket at rear. But if you insisst, start with one teeth less than what your original bike has. More than two teeth less and engine will struggle specially with pillon.

8)
a ) Why Unicorn clutch plate, any specific reason ? Are uni and splendor plates similar ?
b) The clutch cable is replaced, so mostly the clutch needs adjusting.

Reboring rarely works well, the best possible solution is to install a new block ( even head if necessary ), new piston. Not all mechanics are well informed for reliable reboring job. Next, the Indian bikes are relatively small capacity and is always best to stick to manufacturer recommendations for state of tune. The Indian bike's engines are not capable of taking in a lot of modifications IMHO.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 16:01   #10

Default excessive heat during run-in

the meachanics put the bike on main stand(in neutral)and did the ignition(after assembling the engine & the bike).they said they have to keep the bike like that for two hours for run-in.I went away and came back after an hour & saw them pouring water over the engine which was very hot.

1> Is it normal for the engine to be very hot during the run-in?
2> Could the excess heat have damaged the seals in the engine to cause compression loss?
3> Am I supposed to hear any noise while riding the bike if there is compression loss?
Old 21st October 2009, 22:41   #11
BANNED

Quote:
I had my splendor 2000 model engine rebored a week back.Now I face numerous problems :

1> Kick starting problem: whenever I try to kick the bike,it will start after four/five attempts. While kicking it feels more like as if i am holding pulling the clutch half way through in first gear & then trying to kick.I dont feel the kickback from the kick rod.

Did you not replace the clutch after a rebore ? It seems that you have used worn out clutch plates .

2> while riding if I engage the clutch without revving the engine,the engine stops.
When does this happen ? As soon as you have started the bike or say after 15 mins of driving ? If it is after more than 15 min of driving ,change the spark plug , check the valve timing .

That is normal .. especially after a rebore . Most of the idiot mechanics get the bore machined close to high tolerances . A few weeks of run in and first oil change will be enough .

The clutch release bearing , clutch basket shims are to be blamed .

5>The mechanic told me that the carbuereter had become leaky & hence needs to be changed.I did not change it.Could it be the cause of the above problems?Is it possible to repair a carbuereter? Can I fit a karizma/CBZ/any performance bike carbuereter instead of splendor original?

No , you cannot repair a HH splendor carb if it is leaking even after changing the float pin . Karizma , CBZ carb cant be fitted .

6> After Reboring,what engine oil should I use: castrol magnatec or castrol 4t+

Just use LAL godha .. more than enough for a 25+ year old design engine

Well, to get the top speed , would you mind pushing the vehicle in the lower gears to just get the vehicle moving ? LOL

Some details:
  • Engine cylinder rebored.
  • Engine exhaust port slightly "opened"( did you get new valves ? )
  • New piston (0.5),New Piston Rod,new clutch bell(splendor) ,new clutch plate(unicorn),New clutch cable ,new spark plug(mico) basically changed almost everything possible.
  • the ignition/headlight coils had been modified a year ago to increase output current for headlight.
I dont think the unicorn and the HH spelndour share the same clutch or the clutch basket .. Pls check .. Did you get a new camshaft ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd October 2009 at 12:19. Reason: Fixed quotes & added some formatting for better readability of your answers.
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:23   #12

The mechanic didnot change the air filter after reboring.The air filter is atleast 3 years old.What are the effectd of having a bad air filter on a newly bored engine?

What air filter should I install? K& N costs around 1700/- in Bangalore.Anything with K & N performance and below 1000/- ?
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

@shome: I empathize with you on the dismal state you are in with your bike. From all that you have mentioned, I can only say that you have fallen prey to a quack who claims himself to be a mechanic. The practices adopted by him have been quite unprofessional which no sane person would do.

I suggest you take your bike to a reputed/authorised HH service centre and get it repaired. There is no point lamenting over spilt milk now.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the meachanics put the bike on main stand(in neutral)and did the ignition(after assembling the engine & the bike).they said they have to keep the bike like that for two hours for run-in.I went away and came back after an hour & saw them pouring water over the engine which was very hot.

1> Is it normal for the engine to be very hot during the run-in?
2> Could the excess heat have damaged the seals in the engine to cause compression loss?
3> Am I supposed to hear any noise while riding the bike if there is compression loss?
Pouring water over a hot engine!?? I seriously think you should find a better mechanic pronto.

Quote:
The mechanic didnot change the air filter after reboring.The air filter is atleast 3 years old.What are the effectd of having a bad air filter on a newly bored engine?

What air filter should I install? K& N costs around 1700/- in Bangalore.Anything with K & N performance and below 1000/- ?
You are going to make more problems with yourself with this line of thought.

How many km have you done on the old filter in 3 years? Is it a paper filter? They are usually good for 10 - 12 k km. But must be cleaned PROPERLY at required intervals.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:24   #15

What are the main symptoms of compression loss.What are the causes for a newly bored engine to suffer of compression loss?