| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|29th October 2009, 22:54||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: navi mumbai
Thanked: 0 Times
Bajaj Sunny Zip
Need advice on my 1998 model Bajaj sunny zip moped.
During monsoon the center stand would not go up all the way when removed from it and driving causing the stand to rub against the road causing loud noise and damage to it. It became worse after few day with stand constantly touching the road making it impossible to drive. Initially thought the stand spring or bolt needs lubrication due to rust but oiling did not help.
Went to bajaj authorised service centre in turbhe for repairs but they refused since they said company has stopped providing service/spares since the model is long discontinued. Had no option to repair it myself.
Started the troubleshooting and found the centre bolt for the stand bent. Also the bush the bolt went through is also bent. Spent 2 days to remove both things but the bolt and bush are not available anywhere. Shopkeepers are saying it is futile to search. I am in urgent need of spares since i have dismantled the entire moped (all body panels and engine seperated from chassis) and cannot leave the moped in my building compound long in that state. It is ugly to look at. My questions are.
1) Does any other make 2 wheeler use similiar bolt and bush. On closer inspestion i think the bolt is machined to specs for bajaj.
2) When do tyres need replacement. The moped is nearly 10 yrs old without tyre change.The tyres are in OK condition since usage is very low.
3) Bought Sae 20w40 api cf oil ( BP Vanelius diesel engine oil) for transmission oil change. At home found the mfd date to be 12/2007. Cannot return it. Is it advisable to use it since it 2 yrs old and may have lost its properties.
4) Bearings in front wheel hub failing. Had changed it myself 3 yrs back with original SKF, but one of them has failed (Grinding noise from it). Had installed it earlier carefully without damage to the bearings.
|30th October 2009, 09:48||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Thanked: 77 Times
Could better have done this with some local mech to save time. since you want to work on your own,
1. Search 2W spare stores taking old parts as sample. Get something reworkable to suit. Else get a lathe shop to make a set for you.
2. Better change tires-tubes. Rubber hardens & cracks over years.
3. If 20w40 spec is mfr spec, you can use it as transmission lube though its for diesel. If the container was not open/ leaky/ puffed up, 2 years is ok, max 3 years.
4. Check the suspension-rims, tight/ bent ones can stress wheel bearings. Try C3 clearance bearings.
Last edited by Rennjit : 30th October 2009 at 09:53.
|30th October 2009, 11:34||#3|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: May 2007
Thanked: 1,427 Times
2) Change them. The original set of tyres were just about of reasonable quality.
3) IMO, dont use diesel engine oil. Use Servo. Its good enough. I had tried a lot of things in my Spirit, so from my experience I can tell you that Servo will work best.
4) This is not new issue. I suggest you check the bushes. Changing the entire bush set also helps.
|5th November 2009, 12:20||#4|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: navi mumbai
Thanked: 0 Times
1) Regarding bolt searched many mumbai spares shops for 2 days with no results. Shopkeepers laugh when i mention sunny zip. When i ask why they say its about the moped-- all are in scraps with no customers who will keep spares. Anyway mine is in good condition. Initially tried TVS scooty front wheel axle bolt but length would not suffice. Then tried hardware stores- found one in turbhe- mentioned any bolt of 10 mm dia - any head will do - half thread. Found one allen key head, half thread, 10mm dia and length OK. Original bolt was plated ( non rusting) this will rust but will make do. For non standard bolts i suggest people try in nagdevi street. I bet you will find one.
2) Regarding tyres went to 2-3 MRF dealers who quoted 600 bucks plus for tyre+tube ( 1 nos). Walked out since price seems excesssive. Original seem OK with no visible cracks. Will replace when originals burst.
3) oil bottle label says " bp vanellus long life engine oil is natural golden yellow colour. The colour may vary from batch to batch and has no implications on the properties or performance of the oil".
The oil inside my bottle is deep red in colour nowhere near golden yellow.
Anyway checked transmission oil dipstick. Red colour and level OK. Might not change oil.
4) Changed both bearing with new SKF. Instead of side open bearings bought 6200 -2z side closed to prevent dirt entering. I think original failed due to dust/debries from brake liner.
5) Went to lath operator to remove bush from stand plate with hydraulic press. While removing he bent the plate and also damaged the welding. removed only one since enough damage had been done. The welding is critical since the plate holds the chassis and engine mounting together. If the weld give away - disaster. Applied 2 spot welds. Will never give critical parts to anybody unless he is a expert.
another point- changed engine oil to castrol magnetec SAE 10W-40 (petrol+oil mix). Ran fine for few Kms but then pickup problems. Moped would simply not accelerate after stopping due to erratic petrol flow in carburettor. Big problem went stopping at traffic lights. Went by advert " intellengent molecules for active protection and engine at peak performance". Have drained the petrol and added fresh with castrol 2T. Problem still there. Also added bardhal injector clean petrol additive. Will see.
|16th July 2012, 16:56||#5|
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: Bajaj Sunny Zip
I also have a similar problem with my 1997 Sunny Zip. When accelerating after a dead halt the engine feels very strained and much vibrations creep into the floorboard. Adding heavy dosage of 2T oil has reduced this problem to a certain extent but smoke coming out has increased manyfold. Will try to change the clutch shoes to increase pick up.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Sunny days are here again...Nissan Sunny Diesel XL||AbhiJ||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||98||11th May 2017 12:06|
|My Bajaj Sunny. Restored||Ananth_shukti||Motorbikes||4||20th October 2016 20:44|
|Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD||drmohitg||Sedans||125||28th June 2012 21:45|
|Bajaj sunny stalling problems||tejasnaidu||Motorbikes||4||9th August 2010 16:58|
|Width of Santro Zip Plus||psynaps3||Hatchbacks||4||15th April 2006 23:14|