Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd September 2011, 19:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Classic Pulsar 180 - Unreliable gearbox & harsh ride

@Torque: I had a similar issue with my bike. The gearbox was harsh with false neutrals cropping up frequently. I got my bike repaired by Reddy, a very good mechanic when it comes to Pulsars as he worked for bajaj initially. He advised a gear box change (ratios) when i did and the bike has been a lot happier after that. The cost of replacing came to around 2300 Bux with labour included around 2 years back. He installed the gearbox from the UG2 Pulsar 180 dtsi. FYI mine is a 2003 pulsar 180 classic.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:30   #17
BHPian

guys, the gearbox in the first pulsar and the ug2 isnt very different. the main difference is the clutch. the original pulsar had a solid continuous drum which really was impossible to properly lubricate. if you open the drum , you will notice the friction plates have cut grooves in the channels, this prevents the clutch from fully disengaging , therefore even after you press the clutch completely the clutch continues to stick and prevents the gears from changing.

the permanent solution is to change the clutch drum basically to the split type that comes on most other bikes and the later pulsar models. try fitting the new clutch assembly to the input shaft , if it fits , great otherwise the gearbox has to be changed completely like ripper said, but most probably it will fit

the picture on top shows the drum that you have. solid . download the photo, enlarge it and youll see the damage in the grooves that i am talking about that causes the problem. i have circled it in red but it only shows in the enlarged version

the pic at the bottom is of the split type clutch . this is the kind that is used on most bikes and later pulsars as well. this will cure your problem if it fits your input shaft. most likely it will fit. So buy the whole clutch assembly from a spare parts guy that will take it back if it doesnt fit. you will not only have to buy the clutch drum but rest of the clutch parts as well, including the plates , springs and all. you can even get all this off a scrap later pulsar. just check for the damage on the inner groves that i have circled in the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Pulsar 180 - Unreliable gearbox & harsh ride-clutch.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 3rd September 2011 at 23:45.
mycarhasablower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
guys, the gearbox in the first pulsar and the ug2 isnt very different.
=========
you can even get all this off a scrap later pulsar. just check for the damage on the inner groves that i have circled in the pic
Thanks dude, for the info and the pics.... Will have to try this, but before I go ahead with such an extensive change, is there any other remedy you are aware of? Something that is easier/cheaper to implement? Am a bit cash-strapped as of now :( Also as black12rr has posted, does changing the springs help?
Torq_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:28   #19
BHPian

@torq on: Try this. Add 1 can of Nulon to a litre of Castrol GTX 20W50. It should improve the gear shifts to some extent.

@mycar: Thanks for reminding. Im running a similar setup on my bike. Just that the clutch bell was modded to match the new pulsars.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

The gears in my Pulsar 180 UG3 do not slot properly at revs greater than 5k. If I up shift at above 4k from first to second the gear lever does not lock and is still in first gear. This happens in other gears too but only while up shifting. When the lever is pressed there is a play in the lever but it does not shift. This is very frustrating if it happens in traffic! Only when the revs come below 5k does any gear slot while up shifting. Also, typically once the gear is engaged and the clutch released the gear lever should not move unless the accelerator is released. Now since this problem is started the lever moves down when pressed back even when throttle is given and clutch is released. Its just a play and it does not slot into any gear . Clutch assembly was changed at 29k . Now the bike is at 32k. The bajaj service people are clueless about this and have just changed two springs in gear box . The bike is regularly serviced and oil changed every 3k km

Please help me solve this problem. I love my bike a lot and can't see it in such a state.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote