Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th May 2012, 13:03   #16
BHPian

Default Re: RE Machismo 500LB Starter issue

@arizonajim
I understand your point but would the headlight bulb light up even if the problem that you mentioned is the one i am facing ?
so if i ride the bike for say 5 kms or something it works like a charm. could it just be a shot in the wiring ? or just that the battery is going out of juice and it was never fully charged ?
blurust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
The issue i am facing is that i recently changed my battery. Everything worked fine the first day i got a new battery but the second day the issue started.
I cannot fire her up, using the E starter sometimes( 70 percent) even when she is hot.
the neutral light goes dim, looks like the E started is not drawing enough current from the battery.
There are no issues with the kick starter.
one more issue is that the horn(aftermarket) also does not work when she is not idling or running.
What battery are you using? Is it the same Exide 14amp one or is it anything different? That reason I ask is that Exide ones are not available easily. The ones that are available are not suitable for Enfield. Enfield itself is getting the batteries from another manufacturer now.
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:43   #18
BHPian

I bought by 500LB in OCT 2007. The estarter bearing had a problem in all of the first few hunderd 500s shipped. Most of the owners encounterd the starter bearing issue within 1st year and it was replaced under warranty.

After nearly 4.5 years of ownership, the ODO still shows 6740 kms as I don't use it much. In my case the started problem surfaced after 2 years hence I had to dole out Rs.3600 to get it replaced.

After 4 years, my battery died one fine weekend on the road. Managed to take the bike to RE service center but the guys there were not able to source a new battery for nearly 4 weeks !! Finally they put a Royal Enfield (Wings) manufactured battery instead of Exide. No issues with the battery since then though I do not ride the bike that often.
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 14:26   #19
BHPian

oh crap. i think its the same one. i did not check it completely. i just went to exide and they gave me a new battery which costed me rs 2650.
he said its the same for all the new models.

What i dont understand is. kick starter works great. still a single kick start. lights work alright no trouble there. but only the Estarter and the horn. these two does not work when the bike is not running..once the bike is on, horn works. after some kms, Estart tries, but in vain. after 10 km's or so, one single push with clutch lever pressed and she comes to life. I have used Estarter, although rarely but never with the clutch lever pressed. why do i have to press it now ?

how do i check if i have the same battery..oh wait i just checked.

its 14 LA 2. exide bikerz.

Last edited by blurust : 26th May 2012 at 14:29. Reason: added text.
Old 27th May 2012, 04:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

As my RE is not a Machismo I can't say for certain but with my USA 500cc G5 (which I believe is similar to the Electra) my Owners Manual says it uses a 12 volt 14 Amp Hour battery.

On my motorcycle and I assume on yours, there are several safety switches that will keep the motorcycles electric starter from working.

The Neutral Switch, built into the transmission must indicate that the transmission is in neutral. If the neutral light is lit the electric starter should operate.

The motorcycle will also start without the transmission being in neutral if the clutch is fully pulled in. This is handy for cases where the engine dies in traffic and you want to restart without messing with shifting into neutral.

It is possible that the neutral light is lit but the starting circuit does not recognize it. If this were to happen, the electric starter would not operate.
Pulling in the clutch lever activates the clutch switch and the electric starter circuit recognizing this starts the motorcycle as it should.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 13:17   #21
BHPian

so today gave my bike to the dealer service centre, indiranagar.
looks like there's a problem with the relay not the battery for the electric starter.
i am taking it with a pinch of salt, lets see if they can solve the issue.