Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 16:32   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Bajaj Pulsar 150 ES Engine Issues..!!

Hey Guys,
I am facing a strange problem with my 150CC Pulsar ES, Jan 2005 Model.
I dont find any drop in the performance, pickup, smoothness or mileage however a very strange knocking sound starts coming up from the engine once I drive it for few km's.
I showed to a local garage and he changed the idling setting by which the noise vanished but the setting use to immediately come back to its original and so did the noise.
The Bike is driven for 30,000 odd km's and I seldom drive it since I use my car now.
I took my Bike to Bajaj Authorized showroom and the guys told me to open the engine since its a connecting rod issue and they proposed to change the following after which they gave me an estimate of 8000/--10000/- which is humongous
1) Piston
2) Bore
3) Valves
4) Connecting Rod
In short they said me that everything has to be mandatorily changed once the engine is opened which I didnt agree too.
I am quite disappointed seeing an expense of 10000 for a bike which is driven just 30000 km's.
Appreciate if some of the experts can bestow their help and share their advise

Thanks in advance for your help..!!!

Regards,
Nishan Desai
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th November 2009, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

First post more details about your problem.

2nd, take your Pulsar to another garage.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 23:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) First get the bike serviced under normal service. Dont tell Bajaj A.S & S. that you have some major problem. Under the normal service, change filters, oil and get the tuning done.
Is your idling stable ?

2) The bajaj A.S & S. is partly correct. Once you have opened the engine its advisable to replace piston, block, connecting rod. If valves are not damaged, then they need not be replaced. But mostly almost all mechanics replace valves too.

3) Check clutch setting also if you are getting knocking sound.

Chek clutch first, then go for service and if need be, then and then only go for entire overhaul.

I had issue with my bajaj Caliber ( original ) and Bajaj A.S & S. was very eager to work on it, but I never did that.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Till now i havn't had any issues like this. I have clocked in 60000kms and i also bought the vehicle in Jan 2005 and till now the only major work is tyre replacement and that too at 45000kms. Try to get your vehicle serviced in Castrol bike zone(near Mahadevpura). They do excellent work. I am going there from past 4 years and also check what "goswami" has said
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Guys, sorry for the off topic, din't know where to post this question. What will be the cost of a brand new Unicorn engine? One of my colleague has problems with the engine and the service center has quoted around 10K for the work. Your anwers are highly appreciated.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

When i enquired one of the service station they told almost 8-10K itself. So i guess the price is right,but make sure to ask directly the honda service station itself. If it is off the market then make sure it is a good engine. take some 2 wheeler expert with you
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
When i enquired one of the service station they told almost 8-10K itself. So i guess the price is right,but make sure to ask directly the honda service station itself. If it is off the market then make sure it is a good engine. take some 2 wheeler expert with you
Wow, so the brand new engine unit itself is 10k? In that case, my colleague must be better off to get a new engine, instead of re-conditioning the existing engine.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 12:50   #8

Unhappy Engine problems in Pulsar 150 DTSI

Hello folks,

I own a Pulsar 150 DTSI (2003) model. This bike has been my trusted companion in many long rides and has performed marvellously.

I had not used this bike for over a year, as I was working abroad. The problems started after my return. The bike doesn't have any pickup in 1st and 2nd gear and also consumes a lot of fuel. The top speed has also reduced from 115 km/hr to 95 km/hr

I showed the bike to Auto service and the mechanic told me that the carbs had some issues which have been fixed. After servicing the bike ran smooth for over a month, but the milege was still very low, around 35 km/ltr;earlier my bike used to give a mileage of 50km/ltr.

From the past 3 weeks now, the bike has gone out of control. In the 1st and second gear when you pull the throttle the rpm shoots up to 6000 but there is very negligible pickup the speed doesnt go past 20. Even in third it barely touches 40 but the rpm stays between 6000 to 7000.

On switching to fourth gear the rpm shoots over 7000 and there is a sudden power surge, and the speed goes up to 60km/hr in a flash and then it touches 90km/hr at 8000 rpm.

Finally the 5th gear tha rpm comes down to 6000 and the speed is is also reduced to 80km/hr. It takes a while for the speed to reach at 95km/hr where it stays steady.

I was able to test this whole cycle on the elevated road between slikboard and electronic city. I also noticed the the speed reduces considerable at an incline road; fells like the bike doesnt have any torque to pull through.

I want to bring this bike back to its old glory, any suggestions

-- Cheers
Varun

Ride to live, live to ride
lethalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 13:39   #9
BHPian

did you get the clutch plates checked/changed in the last service. that might solve the problem partially.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd March 2010 at 12:39. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a topic
somspaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 13:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

@lethalhawk

get your clutch checked.rapidly increasing RPM with no corresponding increase in speed indicates a worn clutch
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 15:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
@lethalhawk

get your clutch checked.rapidly increasing RPM with no corresponding increase in speed indicates a worn clutch
I had already go my clutch plates replaces two months back. Ill be tkaing the bike for servicing tomorrow; I hope that its only a small problem....

Thanks for the heads up guys....
lethalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote