Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th November 2009, 07:10   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
praJeep, Yes, Proton has exhausts for 4 strokes too for Pulsars, Unis, Zmas etc
Now this is news to me.

BTW what happened to tectrac? Have they shut down or something?
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 12:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think its worth the trouble doing all these mods. If you gain low end & mid range you will loose out on top end. I mean its not that these mods with enhance the low end & keep the mid & high end unaffected.

Also the P220 already sports one of the biggest Carbs current available. So unless you have the right knowledge or know people who know exactly what needs to be done, I would say stay away from such mods.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 13:15   #18

proton does even intakes nowadays. just that he's gone pretty quiet . and works only on an order basis. PM me with ur number ill fill you in on the details. he does export to other states but preferably in TN.
BenedictPentony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 08:15   #19
BHPian

A small query about stock filter :-

Out of curiosity, I removed my air filter case yest of my p220dtsi. I just found a sponge/foam like thing (probably drenched in some oil) with an additional wire mesh alongside (alltogether just 2cm thick). Is it all that you call a 'stock' air filter???? I was amazed.

I just took a round of the bike WITHOUT the filter at all as such and it was amazing. I knew it was dangerous but was just a 50mtrs ride. Felt the bike to be smoother. So finally I decided to go for K&N. But I still cant beleive a stock filter was a sponge piece!! Is it really true or my bike's filter is missing altogether??

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 5th April 2010 at 08:18. Reason: typo
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 11:58   #20
BHPian

you have paper filters and sponger filters. Even the ninja 250 has a sponge type filter. When one puts a K&N conical filter, the intake growl makes one think the performance has gone up but most of the times, it ends up decreasing performance because of the wrong air-fuel ratio. Make sure get adequate sized jets if at all the performance stutters.

Last edited by balenopower : 5th April 2010 at 12:00.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 19:54   #21
BANNED

why dont u think about installing in A-STAR engine,its pretty small,and lightest engine in indian market,at 47kg its lighter than maruti 800 unit,and only about 18kg more than your existing unit. stock 67 bhp and over 80nm,p220 will be a dream tourer, and kick some dirt out of much expensive ninjas! " then u can name it the "LEGEND KILLER" , afterall you would be killing legend of a ninja in half the price. how bout that?
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Mere change in Air filter wont give you any positive effect on Performance. In fact, it reduced my top end by a good 5 kms. Running lean wont give you any performance increase.
Up jetting is an option to go along with the Air filter, but you know finding the appropriate jet sizes and tunning is a big headache. If not done properly, your mileage will go well down beyond your expected 25 km. Here again, if you run too rich or too lean its not gonna go well with any engine. Finding the optimal mixture is a challenge, but once done will give you a decent bump in HP
Free Flow is a good option (even without Air filter and Up jetting). Only hitch is the sound attracts attention from Cops.
If you want some serious mods, you can try porting / polishing of your head, you can try shaving your head (i mean cylinder head) by 2 mm to increase throttle response, if possible get the bigger bore. You can change to compatible race CDI's (those dont have rev limiters) and the best of all, try reducing the overall weight of the vehicle. Remove Saree guards, front fenders(if any), Switch to Aluminium alloy suspension kits, etc...
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:40   #23
BHPian

Fitting just a K&N will not give any gains, instead it will provide more lean mixture to the engine as the air will increase, thereby your engine will tend to heat up faster, its not recommended to use K&N alone. You will need to Upsize your jet and tune your Carb to get the right mix and also after this much of effort the gains are not very significant.
its.me.ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:34   #24
BHPian

In my opinion forget the mods like these and invest in good quality tyres, helmet, jacket, gloves & knee pads. These can range from 4 digit to 5 digit price tag depending upon your appetite. More worthwhile investment.
For performance, work on improving your riding skills and you will be faster than just another person riding a modded pulsar in most conditions. Remember, its mostly about the rider and almost never about the bike!
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs up Great Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
In my opinion forget the mods like these and invest in good quality tyres, helmet, jacket, gloves & knee pads. These can range from 4 digit to 5 digit price tag depending upon your appetite. More worthwhile investment.
For performance, work on improving your riding skills and you will be faster than just another person riding a modded pulsar in most conditions. Remember, its mostly about the rider and almost never about the bike!
Sir, i wish you contribute more to the community,
i have saved 30K and wish to save 20k more prior to my shopping spree at PRS
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir, i wish you contribute more to the community,
What all things are in your mind Sheel? 50K is a lot of money...
Old 7th April 2010, 16:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
I wish to
Quote:
What all things are in your mind Sheel? 50K is a lot of money...
you have a PM anyways

Last edited by Sheel : 7th April 2010 at 16:57.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I HAVE :-
  • a 200 dollar jacket (Fieldsheer imported from USA),
  • knee pads,
  • a decent helmet,
  • stock tyres (dnt think they are bad),
  • gloves,
  • 14 yrs of riding experience with good track records during my teens 'racing' and have records for getting the best mileage of of bikes for clean driving as well. My intension is to tell you that I do ride fast, but it can be doen safely as well, which I think i do.

But now iam not that 'mad' to race like hell, though I want my bike to revv up nicely, not for racing just to go with my adrenaline rush and iam currently aged 27.
So now is it fair for me to think of mods?
Old 10th April 2010, 10:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
So now is it fair for me to think of mods?
Good to know you own all that stuff, I hope you use it too. The years of riding experience is reassuring. I would still advise against going for any performance mods that requires you to fiddle with carb, exhaust, engine head or block & piston. If you really want more power, i would say upgrade to a bigger bike. Ninja 250 is here and at a good price i would like to add. If not, play the waiting game till a more powerful bike comes out. There are many rumors already floating around..
Old 10th April 2010, 18:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know you own all that stuff, I hope you use it too. The years of riding experience is reassuring. I would still advise against going for any performance mods that requires you to fiddle with carb, exhaust, engine head or block & piston. If you really want more power, i would say upgrade to a bigger bike. Ninja 250 is here and at a good price i would like to add. If not, play the waiting game till a more powerful bike comes out. There are many rumors already floating around..
yes man i guess u are right.
But to me I went for p220 as a last resort. I was totally pissed off with my 3 month old brand new Std Bullet. So whoever gave me a good price for that I had to go for it. I was getting offers in the range of 55 to 60k. P220 launch was round the corner and I just went and told a Bajaj Dealer that if they can give me ~70k fo the Std Bull I would take the new p220. Within two days they arranged someone !!! Yamaha had offered me only 64k in exchange for R15.

All the while I was actually waiting for something like Ninja only, but I really dint wanna loose a lot of money on that rubbish Bull :(