BHPian

Default New P220 DTSi Mods - Game ON!!!

P220 DTSi (July 2009) :-
21bhp raw power.
19nm Torque.
Top Speed 144 kmph.

Current ODO :- 3000kms
Top Speed touched :- 135kmph
Mileage :- Normal Driving (42kmpl), Ripping (34kmpl)

Tell you what -----> YEH DIL MAANGE MORE!!!!

Actually I expected only 25kmpl mileage So this was a lottery. So I want more power now at the cost of mileage since I can afford a loss of upto 10kmpl.

So guys guys guys please suggest performance mods for my bike.
Options :-
1) K & N - Does it really boost the power. I know the 'roar' changes a bit, but is that all about the roar or does it really increase power. Any idea about costs?

2) Doing something with the Carb ? Upjetting?

3) Something with the exhaust? We have the FFE's in cars, anything like that in bikes possible?

Already the King of the Jungle, I wanna go for the KILLLL !!!

I want all these just bcoz of one bike :( the RTR 180. Initial pickup RTR rules, then the P220. So I decided to make him my 'Senapathy' because senapathy moves first and when he is stuck, King moves in

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Also Smilie usage is restricted to two per post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th November 2009 at 12:50. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 17:05   #2
BHPian

Sam,
From my experience, K&N or a free flow filter doesnt 'bump up' power. I am not sure about the new P220, but I think the air intake is big enough usually on Pulsars.
Anyway, if you choose to strap on a K&N, what will happen is your bike will rev more freely. My 180 with the k&n revved easier, and attained higher revs faster. And ofcourse, the intake roar would make you believe that you are actually goin faster! But yes with K&n(any free flow filter for that matter and put a foam filter on top, just to be on safe side) upjetted carb(if required!) and a calculated free flow exhaust, your bike would become slightly peppier!
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 17:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Get K&N and upjet; getting the right one will be based on trails & tests. Also try changing pilot jet.

34kmpl is a nice mileage like you said. Automech does exhausts but donno if they do for Pulsar. Sankar had bought one for his Kzhma but changed it later (I forgot why). It costed him 4500Rs.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 17:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Get K&N and upjet; getting the right one will be based on trails & tests. Also try changing pilot jet.

34kmpl is a nice mileage like you said. Automech does exhausts but donno if they do for Pulsar. Sankar had bought one for his Kzhma but changed it later (I forgot why). It costed him 4500Rs.
I changed from Automech to stock coz Automech was more of a midrange pipe. It wasn't working well with the TMS32.

Like jk said K&N and upjet (is your 220 the carb one?) is a good start. Don't do anything to the exhaust yet.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 18:59   #5
BHPian

ok in Cochin where do i find this place to do these small mods? and any danger to the bikes life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I changed from Automech to stock coz Automech was more of a midrange pipe. It wasn't working well with the TMS32.

Like jk said K&N and upjet (is your 220 the carb one?) is a good start. Don't do anything to the exhaust yet.
Yes Sankar mine is the new Carburetted P220 DTSi

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th November 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 8th November 2009, 19:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
P220 DTSi (July 2009) :-
21bhp raw power.
19nm Torque.
Top Speed 144 kmph.

Current ODO :- 3000kms
Top Speed touched :- 135kmph
Mileage :- Normal Driving (42kmpl), Ripping (34kmpl)

Tell you what -----> YEH DIL MAANGE MORE!!!!

Actually I expected only 25kmpl mileage So this was a lottery. So I want more power now at the cost of mileage since I can afford a loss of upto 10kmpl.

So guys guys guys please suggest performance mods for my bike.
Options :-
1) K & N - Does it really boost the power. I know the 'roar' changes a bit, but is that all about the roar or does it really increase power. Any idea about costs?

2) Doing something with the Carb ? Upjetting?

3) Something with the exhaust? We have the FFE's in cars, anything like that in bikes possible?

Already the King of the Jungle, I wanna go for the KILLLL !!!

I want all these just bcoz of one bike :( the RTR 180. Initial pickup RTR rules, then the P220. So I decided to make him my 'Senapathy' because senapathy moves first and when he is stuck, King moves in
1. K&N effect depends on the bike. In the pulsar 150 and 180, it does make a difference as bmw_m5_titus has mentioned but on a P200, it was zilch. Maybe 2-3kmph top end more and just the sound. No increase in performance one bit. So not really sure how it will respond with your bike. I would actually suggest you to try the UNI foam filter rather than K&N. You even have Green Cotton.

2. Upjetting will give you the boost required. But again, you need to try and experiment with different sizes and see which suits best for the altitude condition and your requirement. Afaik, your stock jet is the biggest in the market, unless you go for aftermarket i.e,.

3. Exhaust, I would suggest you to hold it till someone actually does it, tests it and is ready. Or else you will be a test mule and will end up spending a lot.

What performance upgrade are you looking out for? Increase in the initial powerband or the mid and top end? Its a gamble between the both. I would suggest you to try sprocketing too.
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 19:05   #7
BHPian

I think he's looking for more initial acceleration, low end grunt.
Sam, where are you located in Cochin?
Old 8th November 2009, 19:16   #8

Try PROTON dude.. i bet he'l have sumthin good for you..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th November 2009 at 12:52. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
BenedictPentony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 19:52   #9
BHPian

hi sam, my 180 has a K&N filter.The main advantage over the stock will be the bike tend to be a little more free revving.For long drives its really good.Between where are u in cochin?Hope u know Kuttan, he's a maestro in doing all this mods then, but nowadays all dick and harry know the trick.. My 180 still survives with K&N filter.U'll get K&N in Emperor palarivattom.
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 21:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
hi sam, my 180 has a K&N filter.The main advantage over the stock will be the bike tend to be a little more free revving.For long drives its really good.Between where are u in cochin?Hope u know Kuttan, he's a maestro in doing all this mods then, but nowadays all dick and harry know the trick.. My 180 still survives with K&N filter.U'll get K&N in Emperor palarivattom.
iam at vyttila. sorry dude i donno kuttan. wheres he? emperor exact location?
Old 9th November 2009, 17:02   #11
BHPian

Sam,

It's thumbs up to the suggestion from furioussphinx.A lot of trail and error(hopefully) might be required for getting the intended performance.
Prefer you not to upgrade the exhaust at the moment. Is the exhaust you planning to fix is the same old one which did it's job in your bro's pulsar(very first Model)?
REMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 20:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMU View Post
Sam,

It's thumbs up to the suggestion from furioussphinx.A lot of trail and error(hopefully) might be required for getting the intended performance.
Prefer you not to upgrade the exhaust at the moment. Is the exhaust you planning to fix is the same old one which did it's job in your bro's pulsar(very first Model)?
are rechit thu yahaan bhi!!!!!
not too keen on 'sounds' from the bike ( the way we used to blast while at college). im just looking at 'hidden' performance. So i guess an air filter ll do for time being .
moreover im not ready to do 'trial n error' upjetting on my bike. areeeeeeeeee this is bajaj not honda engine!
Old 9th November 2009, 22:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictPentony View Post
Try PROTON dude.. i bet he'l have sumthin good for you..
OMG !! protons for P-220 ??? do they have four strokes exhaust too ?
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 22:18   #14
BHPian

praJeep, Yes, Proton has exhausts for 4 strokes too for Pulsars, Unis, Zmas etc
Old 9th November 2009, 23:22   #15
BHPian

where is this proton?