Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th October 2015, 23:30   #241
BHPian

Default Re: All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets

rbppt:
IMO, anything you place into the exhaust pipe will greatly lower the performance of the engine. The effect will be worse than leaving the factory silencer installed on the bike.

The main idea behind removing the silencer to improve power is to remove the restrictions on the gas flow from the engine to the atmosphere.

Before going on, let me give a simplified explanation of how the factory OEM silencer works.

The exhaust exits the cylinder as a high pressure blast of hot gas.
Its pressure is reduced slightly as it passes down the exhaust pipe because of the unrestricted passageway and some loss of heat but its velocity and pressure is still very high. If no silencer is installed, this gas will rapidly expand into the environment with a very loud noise when it reaches the end of the pipe.

If a silencer is installed, the gas will still expand when it reaches the end of the pipe because the much larger silencer body provides increased room for it. The difference is, little noise is produced because it is all contained within the metal housing.

The silencer then allows this expanded (and slowed) gas to travel thru a torturous path created by a series of baffles and/or perforated walls to restrict the flow so it enters the atmosphere at a slower , more uniform speed. This greatly reduces the noise.

On the negative side of this, the silencer still does create a restriction in the gas flow.
At normal riding speeds, the restriction does not have a negative effect on the engines power. At very high engine speeds on the other hand the restriction will decrease the total power the engine can produce.

Silencers with straight flow thru designs have almost no restriction but they still reduce the noise of the exhaust. They do this by having a perforated pipe that allow some of the high pressure gas to enter their larger bodies or housings and release this gas back thru the perforated pipe when the pulse from the engines exhaust has passed thru.

This is much less effective at reducing noise than the silencers with torturous path design but it does quiet the sound a bit.
These straight flow thru silencers often offer removable baffles or pierced tubes to quiet the exhaust further but please notice, even with these installed, the large volume of the silencer does provide space for the exhaust to expand into.

Now, getting back to putting something into the curved exhaust header:
The pipe does not have space to store the exhaust so anything put into the pipe will limit how much gas can come out of the pipe.
This will create a high "back pressure" that is much worse than installing even the factory OEM silencer.

By the way, the baffles/perforated tubes etc. sold by Hitchcock are designed to be used with a straight thru silencer. They are not designed to be installed directly into the exhaust pipe.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 09:03   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbppt View Post
I've been doing some exterior mods to my 2009 Bullet to make it into a street tracker of sorts.
Fabricating a decibel killer is quite easy, just approach any lathe shop who knows what they are doing and tell them what you want.

Something like this.

All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets-universalexhaustdbkillermuffleradjustablesilencerfor48mmoutletdiameter.jpg

BUT

As someone who spends a lot of time collecting the right parts for my motorcycle. Since you are going with a street tracker look, it would be more aesthetically and auditorily pleasing to add a megafone with baffles or glass wool rather than leaving it as a straight through pipe.

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 15:10   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Fabricating a decibel killer is quite easy, just approach any lathe shop who knows what they are doing and tell them what you want.

Something like this.

Regards,

BOV
BOV,

Where will the above piece sit in the muffler?
Does the can have to be cut open and then this piece fitted ?

From the looks , it looks like the detachable end piece, withput the outer case, of a glasswool chamber

Last edited by tharian : 16th October 2015 at 15:14.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 19:26   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
BOV,Where will the above piece sit in the muffler?
As you said, it is a slip on.

It is supposed to fit in at the end can/muffler tip.

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 01:10   #245
BHPian

Brethren,

I am caught up in a dilemma between STD 500 (carburettor) and Classic 500 (EFI). I plan to go for a short bottle exhaust after the run-in period. Not sure which model takes in the exhaust model with relative ease. Going through the forum some suggest that performance of EFI would go down if we go for aftermarket exhaust. Is carburettor model mod friendly when it comes to exhaust?

Also, if exhaust is not a main criterion, which one is better? EFI or carburettor?

Thanks in advance…
WildInstincts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:07   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
Also, if exhaust is not a main criterion, which one is better? EFI or carburettor?
Think you should post it in "Royal enfield queries" as you might get more respnsed. this thread is only on exhausts and your que is more to do with fuel injection into the cylinder.

My $.02 on this topic with my limited knowledge.
Its a lot simpler to tune the carb compared to EFI. Personally have done it twice on my 500.
Its more reliable on long runs. i can atleast pull the tube out, take out some fuel and re insert to check for air bublles when the bike stalls.
maybe cheaper than EFI when there are issues.

have personally rode a classic 500 and felt it jerking certain times during throttling. Not sure if thats related to EFI though.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:36   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
Not sure which model takes in the exhaust model with relative ease. Going through the forum some suggest that performance of EFI would go down if we go for aftermarket exhaust. Is carburettor model mod friendly when it comes to exhaust?
IMHO the carburettor equipped model will require lesser mods incase you want to do an exhaust swap. People have successfully done it on EFi models as well, but the effort taken is somewhat more compared to a carb.
Quote:
This is a very personal choice mate when it comes to RE motorcycles. You will find divided opinions on EFi and Carb. I ride a bikes with both EFi and carb and based on my experience if you are a DIY guy then carb makes sense. If you are a guy who thinks fill it, shut it, forget it then EFi makes sense. EFi has a slight edge in that it is maintenance free and does not require tuning for higher altitudes or otherwise. Starting problems related to carb are completely eliminated if one opts for an EFi unit. Sputtering due to improper fuelling is taken care of. A well tuned carb can overcome the above mentioned issues provided you know how to do it. But do remember you will lose out on the crisper throttle response + 1 extra BHP and 1 NM of torque if you chose to go with the carburettor.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 2nd November 2015 at 17:38.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 15:12   #248

Hello Everyone,
I own a 2011 Thunderbird Twinspark. At around 6000 Kms I got the silencer changed to the short bottle one and recently shifted to Pune . Bike has done around 15000 Kms and police in Pune is posing a few problems as I have been stopped for aftermarket silencer producing more sound than permissible limits. Moreover somehow I feel that the bike was smoother with the stock exhaust(long bottle type). So with both the reasons in mind thinking of reverting to OE silencer. Just wanted to confirm whether fitting any OE silencer would be ok (the long bottle currently on Std, Electra & Classic or the current OE silencer being supplied with TB) as the engine across these models is same or do I need to consider some other factors in mind. Pretty new to Pune and getting my bike work done from Mr. Anwar in Baner(Bikepluss) and pretty satisfied with the work. Request your comments on the choice of exhaust as well as some other good source for the silencer.
Akhileshmdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 15:35   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
I own a 2011 Thunderbird Twinspark. At around 6000 Kms I got the silencer changed to the short bottle one. Police in Pune is posing a few problems as I have been stopped for aftermarket silencer producing more sound than permissible limits. Moreover somehow I feel that the bike was smoother with the stock exhaust(long bottle type). So with both the reasons in mind thinking of reverting to OE silencer.
Mate a 2011 Tbird TS will have the Bazooka type silencer as the OE fitment which is the same silencer which came with my 2004 AVL Tbird. You are right the OE silencer that came from the factory in your Tbird would be the best in terms of smoothness and overall comfort(related to sound). Try finding if RE still sells the same OE Bazooka silencer, if yes then go for it. If not then try finding some RE authorized stores which stocks these silencers. The long bottle silencer on the CL series and the new Tbird will look odd on your TBTS. If I were you I would hunt for the OE Bazooka silencer from the market and fit it back.

I wish the police in Bombay too start catching those with loud silencers and that contraption of a thing called mud flap(those huge ones which amplifies that irritatingly sharp noise).

Last edited by navin_v8 : 15th March 2016 at 15:37.
Old 15th March 2016, 15:47   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate a 2011 Tbird TS will have the Bazooka type silencer as the OE fitment which is the same silencer which came with my 2004 AVL Tbird. You are right the OE silencer that came from the factory in your Tbird would be the best in terms of smoothness and overall comfort(related to sound). Try finding if RE still sells the same OE Bazooka silencer, if yes then go for it. If not then try finding some RE authorized stores which stocks these silencers. The long bottle silencer on the CL series and the new Tbird will look odd on your TBTS. If I were you I would hunt for the OE Bazooka silencer from the market and fit it back.

I wish the police in Bombay too start catching those with loud silencers and that contraption of a thing called mud flap(those huge ones which amplifies that irritatingly sharp noise).
Thanks Navin, I am trying for the Old Bazooka exhaust but my mechanic told me it would be hard to find one as it was discontinued around 4 years back. I agree on the looks part but performance wise will the new silencers be ok as the engine family remains same.
Akhileshmdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 16:14   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Thanks Navin, I am trying for the Old Bazooka exhaust but my mechanic told me it would be hard to find one as it was discontinued around 4 years back. I agree on the looks part but performance wise will the new silencers be ok as the engine family remains same.
Mate I am sure there will be some stocks lying around somewhere. If possible take time out on weekends and hunt in various shops stocking RE spares. You can also try on Olx and Quikr for used silencer. I don't think the performance would be affected in any way if you fit the OE long bottle silencer as I have rode my Tbird 2004 model with an Electra long bottle silencer. But the best is the OE silencer that came from the factory in terms of aesthetics and design. Hence I am insisting on getting the OE silencer.
Old 15th March 2016, 17:52   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Navin, I completely agree with you on this score. However, I'm not sure how these mudflaps can be banned, as I have seen them on bikes ridden by police officers too!
FarPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 09:36   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Navin, I completely agree with you on this score. However, I'm not sure how these mudflaps can be banned, as I have seen them on bikes ridden by police officers too!
Mate some of them dumb cops(the so called law enforcement) also don't wear a helmet and flaunt their fake Ray-Ban goggles. If one tries to reason with them they immediately show who's the boss. Moral: It might be Ok for a lawman to break the law but that does not mean I too will break the law by seeing him do the same. Two wrongs don't make one right.
Old 16th March 2016, 15:21   #254
BHPian

Hey guys can any one point out which exhaust is this? Can this be fitted to the new UCE tbts?
Vikvkv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 23:02   #255

Quote:
Mate I am sure there will be some stocks lying around somewhere. If possible take time out on weekends and hunt in various shops stocking RE spares. You can also try on Olx and Quikr for used silencer. I don't think the performance would be affected in any way if you fit the OE long bottle silencer as I have rode my Tbird 2004 model with an Electra long bottle silencer. But the best is the OE silencer that came from the factory in terms of aesthetics and design. Hence I am insisting on getting the OE silencer.
Thanks for the motivation Navin. Just got the original TBTS 2011 exhaust from Brahma Motors in Pune, which was the last piece lying with them since a long time. 6000 kms on OE silencer, then 8000 Kms on a free flow short bottle and again the OE has made me realise that OE is the best atleast for TBTS, the pickup is better, less vibrations, lighter driving and the bike is much smoother.
Akhileshmdp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote