Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th March 2016, 10:02   #256
BHPian

Default Re: All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Thanks for the motivation Navin. Just got the original TBTS 2011 exhaust from Brahma Motors in Pune, which was the last piece lying with them since a long time. 6000 kms on OE silencer, then 8000 Kms on a free flow short bottle and again the OE has made me realise that OE is the best atleast for TBTS, the pickup is better, less vibrations, lighter driving and the bike is much smoother.
That's great mate. I am sure you will enjoy your TBTS even more. Ride Hard Ride Safe.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 16:21   #257

Hello Everyone

I have Classic 500 and i have replaced the OE exhaust with New Monster (Aashu Engineering). While decelerating lot of popping takes place.

Does this affect the overall fuel efficiency.

Suggestions are welcome...Thanks in advance.
MaverickRD350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:38   #258
BHPian

got forwarded this website today. More of a question by my friend asking if he could buy one of the cannons for his CL500. i haven't heard about this brand/make so not sure. have any of you had an experience with this exhaust for RE?
http://www.barrelexhaust.com/
https://shop.barrelexhaust.com/index...&product_id=57

the cost of cannon comes to around 6500 and thats pricey
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 13:49   #259

Any one tried the Red Rooster Performance exhausts that are on sale on Snapdeal? Looking to upgrade to aftermarket pipe after 9500 kms on my chrome 500.
2.pi.N.T/60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 21:51   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickRD350 View Post
Hello Everyone

I have Classic 500 and i have replaced the OE exhaust with New Monster (Aashu Engineering). While decelerating lot of popping takes place.

Does this affect the overall fuel efficiency.

Suggestions are welcome...Thanks in advance.
Is it a glasswool? If it is... It shouldn't (even if it's not), depending upon the kms clocked. Rest assured, if it's a glasswool and new, the popping sound will settle down after about 1k kms on it.

Additionally, check upon the spark plugs if they're running lean. I'm sure they would be considering the bike's an FI. Disconnect the -ve cable from the battery and reconnect...You should feel the difference.

I had a classic 500 too which ran beautifully on the Delhi-Goa stretch with a conical baffle megafone, no popping or misfiring whatsoever.

Even on my Standard 500 presently, I switched to a megafone for old love from a wild bore. Initially, it was a bit of a problem and too much fun since I could pop a flame anytime I wanted. Its all settled now though
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 23:28   #261
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a muffler for my Classic 500.Can someone recommend me a few good ones?
My priority is a deep/punchy/bass-y sound like the DUG-DUG-DUG of the older cast-iron bikes. I want it to be louder than the stock setup but not too loud(like,you can hear it before you see it loud,which is just annoying) and I would also prefer if it is bent/upswept like the one which RE sells.
Also,do these mufflers get torn/worn out and need replacement after a certain period of time?Does their sound change over time?

Thanks,
Abhishek
Abhishek3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 00:20   #262
BHPian

I am constantly on the lookout for a silencer for my UCE STD350. I have tried 2 silences and both sounded horrible upon revving.

However I noticed this particular piece with longer tail and wide mouth. Sounded very similar to we look for even at decent speeds.

I once saw a bullet with this piece and a mud flop added to the rear number plate and it sounded exactly like the old pipes.

Now what is that called?
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 14:04   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Is it a glasswool? If it is... It shouldn't (even if it's not), depending upon the kms clocked. Rest assured, if it's a glasswool and new, the popping sound will settle down after about 1k kms on it.

Additionally, check upon the spark plugs if they're running lean. I'm sure they would be considering the bike's an FI. Disconnect the -ve cable from the battery and reconnect...You should feel the difference.

I had a classic 500 too which ran beautifully on the Delhi-Goa stretch with a conical baffle megafone, no popping or misfiring whatsoever.

Even on my Standard 500 presently, I switched to a megafone for old love from a wild bore. Initially, it was a bit of a problem and too much fun since I could pop a flame anytime I wanted. Its all settled now though
Thanks Man!

Yes looks like the popping has considerably reduced after 2K kms. Will also do the battery cable thing as suggested and shall update.
MaverickRD350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 11:08   #264
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I have seen and heard the greasehouse exhaust and am really impressed by the sound and the fact that it does not get noisy on high revving. This is for my 500 Squadron Blue. My question is, does the exhaust really bump up the claimed 3.5bhp and more importantly, increase the top end speed? I am currently doing my running in and want to install this post 2k kms in a few days. Also if anyone knows, does it come in black? Please advice guys.

BTW not going for RRP as its too too noisy.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 00:23   #265
BHPian

I seriously doubt that any of the Indimotard Silencers/exhaust (or any other aftermarket silencer) will add 3.5 bhp to the motorcycle.
That would be over a 10 percent gain in power just by changing the exhaust on a Royal Enfield.

There may be a small gain in horsepower at the upper rev limits (small gain being closer to 3/4 to 1 hp) but it comes with a price beyond the price of the exhaust system.

The price I'm speaking of is good old usable power.

While there may be a small gain in high rpm power, the mid and low rpm torque will be decreased.

For most of us, that loss of mid and low end torque, which is where we do almost all of our riding will be a major loss.
More than a few people have been so disappointed with the loss of mid and low end pulling power they've changed back to the original exhaust system.

That said, most of the (small) gain in performance of the motorcycle will be due to the reduction in weight of the aftermarket silencer. Those RE silencers are HEAVY and an aftermarket silencer can reduce the silencer weight by almost 50 percent!

IMO, a aftermarket silencer should be purchased to improve the sound and the look of the bike and reduce the machines weight a bit.

Looking for power gains will disappoint you.

I will admit the Greasehouse exhaust does sound good.

I am wondering if anyone else on the forum has had one installed for a while?
Many of the poorly made glass/ceramic fiber silencers tend to blow out the padding after they get some time on them.
Does anyone know from personal experiance how these Greasehouse units last?

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 10th July 2016 at 00:24.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 09:54   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Does anyone know from personal experiance how these Greasehouse units last?
recently bought a thumper from Amazon. have posted it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3995636 (PAPS, my Enfield Bullet 500 (Forest Green) - Selection, purchase & review)

My observations:
* low end torque is impacted definitely. The bike feels as if it gets pretty heavy with forward movement during the mid ranges for 2/3rd gears.
* stunning improvement in performance during the 4th and 5th gears. It could be due to the reduced weight of the product thereby impacting the velocity to mass ratio.
* No backfires at all. Normally even with the stock ones, rarely I used to get loud pops while driving downhill without acceleration. This is absent.
* Must admit - the sound is great (personal opinion). Not loud not irritating, especially on long drives.
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:07   #267
BHPian

My experience with aftermarket silencers has been very short. I have used Wild boar and RRP. Some of the observations-
1-Low end gets terrible
2-Sound gets louder over the period of time as the carbon gets deposited over the period of time.
3-Very uncomfortable for long rides
4-Cop magnet, this makes in city commuting very uncomfortable

Since RE had the upswept for the classic i installed it. Sounds a bit louder than the stock but has a very decent sound. I would say Stock is always the best.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 11:15   #268
BHPian

Folks, I'm searching for an exhaust for a friend's Electra 350.

Keen on the IndiMotard Thumper. Any advice on this?

Also, if any possible alternatives can be suggested, since I'm not quite literate on RE exhausts.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:34   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Folks, I'm searching for an exhaust for a friend's Electra 350.

Keen on the IndiMotard Thumper. Any advice on this?

Also, if any possible alternatives can be suggested, since I'm not quite literate on RE exhausts.
Hi,

FuelInjector has given a clean report on the Thumper, I am quoting the information on his behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
an update after a long time. Had some coupons on amazon. Thought of using that to change the silencer. Bought a greasehouse custom thumper. This product is ~1.5Kgs lesser in weight than the stock silencer. Fitted it myself (with the help of junior). Clamps come with the product. Would need a nut-bolt (2inch) and a hexagon screwdriver to tighten the mouth onto the bendpipe.
Installation:
removal of stock is pretty simple. Two bolts need to be removed (one at the stalk joint to the frame and other near the mouth onto the bendpipe).
Tugging at it the exhaust comes out.
GC thumper comes with a clamp that needs to be bent along the circumference of the exhaust. Easiest way to not damage anything is to tie a plastic cover around the exhaust and then bend the longer clamp. The shorter clamp should be put on the foot rest (remove the footrest and bolt onto it).
Rode the bike for ~100kms after this. Observations:
1. white smoke came out of exhaust after the first 20 kms. not able to see that now.
2. Sound is very bassy (sometime too bassy for my liking)
3. i did not find any improvement in torue or bhp etc. as mentioned in the pamphlet.
4. the great ratios to speed are pretty much the same as the stock one.
5. However, the vibrations are greatly reduced. 3rd gear at 60 - 70 causes much less vibrations compared to stock.
Have taken note of fuel readings, shall post my observations on fuel efficiency impact once its ready for refill.
one pic on the exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Quick update on the fuel efficiency story.
There has been no change in my FE readings after changing the exhaust. I used to get 32 Kmpl using the stock exhaust. After changing to Greasehouse thumper and using it for two fuelling cycles, the FE has been 32.2 and 31.7.
80% of the driving has been solo. 20% with family and heavy traffic conditions.
I have been following the tips of ArizonJim regularly (spark plugs cleaning/chain cleaning/tightening nuts and screws evey 500kms/ checking tyre pressure every 500 kms).
Shall post a DIY of how to remove the stock exhaust and fix the thumper your self.
Contacted indimotard about the white smoke that emanated out during the first 25kms. This happens due to ceramic wool package in the exhaust. During the first heat the lose particles would come out as white smoke with a smell of burnt plastic. I wonder if they could do a heat test before shipping product (just being a product guy). Atleast i as a customer typically would not expect these when i buy product.
Thanks,
-Badri
Full_Minchingu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 10:15   #270
BHPian

I am getting a new classic 350. Is it advisable to fit free flow exhaust(GreaseHouse Thumper) in a brand new bike?
Ajay_the_Don is offline   Reply With Quote