Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st October 2011, 10:54   #31
BHPian

Default re: Riders: When did you first kiss the tarmac?

Nice thread It was way back in 1998 when i bought my first RE (I've owned 5 since and still ride a 500). I had bought the bike second hand and it was just the third day with her, fiddling and fixing things to get her into perfect shape. On that unfortunate day, a friend of mine came along and asked for a spin to which I not-so-readly obliged.
I sat pillion with him and just about two minutes into the ride, he approached a blind curve at a decent speed (Those who are from Ooty would know better about the notorious Western Hotel curve just before Hill bunk) half way through the curve, there was an oncoming car overtaking another jeep! My friend panicked and slammed the rear brake, which locked up (Common on old RE's).
The next thing I knew when I regained conciousness was that i was lying on a bed in the govt hospital!
I learnt that I had blacked out because I hit my head on the road. Thankfully I suffered only a few bruises on my ear, shoulder and knee, nothing major. My friend cracked two ribs though since the bike flipped and landed on his chest (as told by the auto driver who was kind enough to bring us to hospital).
MORAL: 1) Always wear protective gear 2) NEVER EVER LEND YOUR VEHICLE TO A NOVICE because you are putting his life, your life and the lives of people around in danger.
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 11:13   #32
BHPian

Around 4 years back , on my way to home from office with a colleague on my pulsar.
The road is a narrow two lane with evening traffic .There was a big staff bus infront of us going slowly .I followed it for a while .Mean while lots of two wheelers was riding behind the bus ,I decided to overtake the bus when there was some space available.
I shifted down to fourth twisted the throttle the bike quickly climbed to some 65+kph and we covered at about 75% of the bus and suddenly the bus driver decides to overtake some rick or scoot and swinged to right.
To make all this worse a guy came from opposite side in a bike loaded with some textiles. He could have stopped, but he didn't .I tried Max not to hit that guy ,but his crash guard and handle hit me .All in a matter of seconds.

Since the impact was on my right side and the bus was travelling on the left we both fell under the bus .In the process I somehow unknowingly twisted the throttle and the momentum pulled us from under the bus to the other side of the road dragging us through the rough tarmac.
If this had not happened we both would have crushed under the bus.

My phone went some where in pieces. The other guy who hit us also fell and had a deep bruise in his leg which i think was caused by my bikes footpeg.His textiles was scattered all over,and his bikes forks and wheels were bent.

My good old pulsar took the impact on the handle and it was bend. Mirrors broken. Since the bike slided across the road crash guard was bent and a small dent in fuel tank.

Half of my buttocks was scrapped on the tarmac like it was grated with a slicer or something. But I could stand up and I felt ok with slight pain.

My friends clothes were torn and had only minor bruises. We were extremely lucky considering that the rear wheels of the bus passed us by inches.

Me and my friend got up and the crowd gathered were angry at me as I was overtaking the bus and I had a premium bike (at that time).

Three of us got into a rick and went to Medical college , the other guy was crying in pain.May be he just could not take. It took some time at the MCH as we cant expect any help from the might staff serving there.
I took that guy for xray and stiching the wound in a wheel chair no one was there to help but rather very talking in phone or just sitting idle.

After all these settled by around 9 pm some of my relatives and parents came to the hospital and by that time i noticed that my hand has swollen like a puff.

Immediately checked with the doctor and took an xray ,which revealed that I have a broken carpal near to my right thumb.I was bandaged and the we were back home by 2am. I could not sit or lie on bed as my back is completely torn .It took around 2 months to come back to normal state.

I lost a months salary as I had to take Loss of pay .Hospital expenses. Vehicle damage expenses which wasn't major but all the scratched parts need to be replaced and the insurance for some unknown reason denied my claims.

Settled the other guy with some cash for his losses as to avoid running behind the court cases and I didnt have any leave left.

Lessons learnt :
Never speed or overtake when there is a pillion unless I'm doubly sure of the situation.
Always honk loud when overtaking.
Ride slow and carefully.

This is the biggest carsh I had and after this I has 2-3 minor skids and some turned out to be worse.
Still riding the bike.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 14:48   #33
BHPian

I have had 2 major crashes.
First one was not my fault. But I was not wearing any helmet .
I was on my bullet. There was a huge traffic block. And I was taking my bike to the front of the block like all bikers usually do. Unfortunately a KSRTC bus also decided to do the same and hit me. The bullet and me went in opposite ways. The bullet sped towards an electric post and smashed to a halt. I fell towards the bus. As I fell I instinctively put my left hand out onto the bus and pushed myself away from the bus. As i fell on my elbows I saw the bus tyre pass by me just missing my nose. My God!! Those tires are realllllyyyy huge. Dont know what would have happened if I did not stick my hand out but the thought gives me the CHILL! I was pretty shaken up and had bruises all over but nothing was broken. I was able to drive my shattered bullet home.

Second one is my fault. What can I say? Sometimes the devil does possess you. I was on my R15 going really fast and have to be honest here, intending to go even faster. A bus was idling at a bus stop and an Omni was trying to overtake it. I applied brakes. It was at a safe braking distance, it should have stopped well before I reached the Omni but alas the front tyre slipped. So I had to release the brakes, steadied the bike and applied the brakes again. Again I would have stopped before I would have reached the Omni but the front tyre slipped again. I went KAMBOOM into the back of the Omni just like Tom runs into a wall after chasing Jerry. . I did not fall but I felt dizzy probably because of the sudden deceleration (lol). So I placed my bike on the road and sat down while pretty girls at the bus stop was looking at me and probably wondering "Where the hell did he come from? Did he fall from the sky? He wasnt here a second ago!!". I must have impacted at about 70kmph into a stationary Omni but the bike was not that badly damaged. I couldnt find my left rear view mirror anywhere!! Still a mystery to me. It just went missing. I searched a bit. Couldnt find.

Lesson learnt.
1. No matter how happy or sad you are, dont take that on the road.
2. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 15:12   #34
BHPian

My Ride :
RE TBird 04 Model, Bullet 500 Exhaust (chopped)(hence, loud enough) and RD handlebars

Was riding to work on Bannerghatta Road, right after Dairy Circle underpass.
Was doing around 70kmph at that time. I saw a patch of water (or so it seemed) on the road. Thought of going thru it instead of swerving(and thus scaring people on the road).

As soon as my front tire went into that patch of liquid, i realized my folly. it was Oil. The front tire skidded and went airborne, and I braced for the fall.
Tucked my knees under the tank and arms above it. Fell with a loud crash! skidded for some distance and then I let my bike go, after the momentum was almost negligent(to prevent that huge lump of metal causing collateral damage).
Got up. Small abrassions on my trousers. Footpeg bent, crash guard bent. Not a scratch on me. Thank god I was having a Cross sports Lid with GPR full arm gloves and a leather jacket.

Took the ride to my mechanic. Damages : 60/- only!
So, I crash at 70 and pay 60 to repair!

Lessons Learnt : Bad things happen. Dont assume a patch of liquid to be water.

Lots have been said about the TBird brakes. I do agree they are pathetic however, I tend to rely more on engine braking rather than those excuse of a brake! The funny part is, no matter how many times I change the pipes, fluid, the lever gets hard within a week of service!
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 15:33   #35
vsi
BANNED

This incident happended, when i was in my final year of M.Tech. Our class went for a picnic in the month of January. Total people were 12 (2 Noslast minute inclusions). Initially we had booked a tata sumo for 10 peopel, but because of the last minute additions, we had to take a motorcycle (splendor) and we decided that we will take turns whil;e riding.

The spot was around 90kms from nagpur city (Ambakhori).

The onward journey was OK and nothing untoward happened.

while returning, i was riding with one of my classmate as pillion. none of us where wearing the helmet.

it was around 6.30 in the evening and we were approaching a place called Kanhan.

we were trying to match with the speed of SUMO (Approximately 75-80 Kmph)

There was a railway signal and it just happened that the speed of the SUMO increased suddenly just as we are nearing the gate, later realised since the gate was closing and the sumo driver tried to pass the signal in a hurry.

the sidtance between me and sumo at theat time was areound 20 metres and all my attention at that time was on sumo and i was not at all attentive toward what was happening ahead of sumo.

since the gate was closed, the driver of SUMO suddenly applied the break, however everything happened in such a flash that i went totally blank about waht to do or how to tackle the situation.

i simply changed the track and tried to hard brake.

i took a righ turn adn tried my level best to somehow bring the bike to standstill in the safet manner without harming us.

however, instead on breaking, i simply pulled the full clutch whch caused the bike to move with full forward momentum.

after moving for a distance of about say 30 metres, what we saw was there were two railway tracks arranged in horizontal position at a distance of 1.3-1.5 meters.

and our bike bust passed through those poles and the handle got stuck on those poles and we we like flying in the air and fell in fron of the bikes at a distance of 7-8 meteres.

all this while, my friend who was the pillio was shouting to me to stop the bike and i was in a toal mental shock.

the moment we landed, i went into a state of unconsc and returned to my senses in the hospital whach was quite near to the accident site.

By gods grace, i landed on a heap of remains of thrashed rice and was saved from any majorw injury.

however, my friend was not that lucky and landed on a hard surface on his back.

even though, he did not complained of any injury that time, he later confessed to have a a terrible back injury due to which, he cannot lift heavy loads, till date.

i was told by my friends tha tthe place i landed was just short of a pit whch was arounf 40 feetes deep, and had that happened, no points for guessing what would have been the case.

The sad part is the bike that i was riding, was no mine and the handle had to be replaced.

Even though, i drive very sedately, it was just the mad rush of adraline at that time that this incident happened.
vsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 07:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Since the impact was on my right side and the bus was travelling on the left we both fell under the bus .In the process I somehow unknowingly twisted the throttle and the momentum pulled us from under the bus to the other side of the road dragging us through the rough tarmac.
If this had not happened we both would have crushed under the bus.
@bullboy: I think you should never again do anything risky, you seem to have used up a life-time's quota of luck in just that split second!
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 07:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Lots have been said about the TBird brakes. I do agree they are pathetic however, I tend to rely more on engine braking rather than those excuse of a brake! The funny part is, no matter how many times I change the pipes, fluid, the lever gets hard within a week of service!
I installed Saferide "ABS" on my TBTS. It is just a simple hydraulic device that modulates the braking pressure. It is NOT a true ABS, but it does serve to soften the brake lever and give you more control on your front disc brake.It cost me about RS 1500/- but I think it is worth it. You can mail-order it and have it installed by any mechanic.

Saferide ABS

Caution: As it is not a true ABS, you can still lock your front brake even if you install it --- it just takes a little longer!
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 08:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
I installed Saferide "ABS" on my TBTS. It is just a simple hydraulic device that modulates the braking pressure. It is NOT a true ABS, but it does serve to soften the brake lever and give you more control on your front disc brake.It cost me about RS 1500/- but I think it is worth it. You can mail-order it and have it installed by any mechanic.

Saferide ABS

Caution: As it is not a true ABS, you can still lock your front brake even if you install it --- it just takes a little longer!
Thanks. However, now i'm so used to the crappy brakes, I will probably roll over if it starts working.

Moreover, its fun to downshift in a corner, slide the rear wheel, scare the people more
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 09:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
@bullboy: I think you should never again do anything risky, you seem to have used up a life-time's quota of luck in just that split second!
Normally I dont ride too rashly .But i do ride fast on open roads. yes that was some pure luck combined for both of us.
If something has happened to my friend i would have to live rest of my life with great regret.
Since then I stopped give lifts and if someone want to ride with me I will restrict the speed to max 50kph whatever the conditions are.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:05   #40
Mik
BHPian

Interesting and informative topic.

My biking experience is close to 90000 km now on various bikes and scooters.
Over the years, i have had a few falls and have always taken some learning out of it.

Incident 1:
July,08 (On Bazpur road, enroute Nainital)
Morning 7 am
Me and a friend were going through this two lane highway which was quite empty at that time. We were doing approx. 100kmph and were fairly comfortable. A tractor suddenly came out of a bylane and started crossing the road. I veered to my left so as to avoid hitting it. To my horror, the tractor guy just gave a hand to me to stop and reversed! With my exit blocked, i just braked as hard as possible and finally had a collision with him at around 25kmph. No major damage apart from a broken headlight.
Learnings:
a. When crossing rural areas, always expect some dumb guys so limit your speed.
b. A villagers' perception of a bike speed is around 30 or 40 kmph. He makes moves accordingly.
c. I learnt engine and progressive braking after this accident.

Incident 2:
July 09 (Descending down the final stretch of hills near Kiratpur sahib)
3 pm
Me and my wife on pillion were coming from Jalori pass. Since it was a wide two laned highway, i was being aggressive on the corners. Took one outer corner at 50 kmph and saw two trucks running-rather huffing and puffing parallel at around 10 and 12kmph. It would take an eternity for them to overtake. There was no space for me. I flashed my lights, gave the horn and kept slowing down. Generally, truckers give a bike width amount of space. Not so this time. I was forced onto the rocky edge of the hill and my front tyre gave way. We crashed onto the loose rocks at the edge at around 30kmph. With full riding gear on, there was no damage apart from a sore shoulder. The bike was ok too. The truckers had switched on their turbos and were nowhere to be seen.

Learnings:
1. All the gear, all the time (ATGATT)
2. Even with wide roads, hills are not MotoGP tracks. Idiots abound everywhere.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:15   #41
BANNED

This thread is like a trip down memory lane. Riding for over 17 years does give you a thing or two too add to a thread like this.
The initial riding years were spent on a RX 100. A bike with too much power and too little braking capability. On at least 3 counts i have skidded off the bend because i went happy with the throttle injuring/fracturing legs/writs/collar bone. Not because of the fall but because twice a bike hit me while i was lying on the road and once i rolled into a wall.
Lesson: The fall may not be the worst part of the crash.

Moved to a RD 350 . Same as rx 100. much more power and even less braking prowess. Crashed into a car at about 110 kmph. Saving grace it wasent head on but side ways. the car and my bike rubbed shoulders and i was practically leaning onto the b pillar for good 20 meters. The right collar bone and right knee cap went for a toss. I still cant do inclined presses and squats even after 13 years of injury.

Lesson: If you think the rd will stop on stock setup. Trust me it wont.You need more than ample space to slow the rd down. So keep a check on the throttle .

Moved to the 1st gen busa. Thankfully no major crashes but this one nasty incident happened where i was riding at night and entered a small lane and there was a clothesline across the two houses. dint see it and it cut my neck slightly. I was very slow , maybe 15kmph and the rope was thick. A little faster and a thinner rope and i could have applied for a job in the movie sleepy hollow.

Lesson : I havent figured this one out yet.

All in all things could always be worse. So ride smart and ride safe.

Last edited by bigron : 1st November 2011 at 12:16.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:56   #42
BHPian

Had an incident about 1.5 years ago on Hosur Road outside Vignan Hospital. Was riding home around 3pm towards Dairy Circle, doing about 60kph on an absolutely deserted road (yes, hard to believe it, but even buses are scarce on Hosur Road at 3pm it seems). Old(ish) man crosses the road from Vignan, and stands bang in the middle of my lane. Quick lane-change to left, but the old man is quicker to do the same. So I return to the right lane. And he follows suit like a faithful shadow. We play this game about 3-4 times while i'm slowing down to avoid any eventuality. At the last dodge, I actually avoid him with about 2 feet distance. Now, feeling really cool about losing the "shadow", I speed up to pass him. Shadow Warrior wasnt too pleased that he'd been outsmarted, and actually pushes with both arms!! In a trail of sparks, I veer off towards the footpath wondering what the hell!! There happened to be a bylane on the left, so it kinda saved me from an impact with the raised footpath. Let go of the bike and rolled to a halt.

Damages: Bent left footrest (everyday issue with the Yezdi anyway), scuffed crashguard, left silencer and helmet, bruised ego and an earful from the oldie.

Moral of story: Quick reflexes arent just the privilege of the young. Oh, and helmet + jacket works even against old men
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 01:08   #43
BHPian

Okay now my turn...
Had two mishaps, first one was pretty serious, the other one was not so serious.
The first one happened in 2005. I was riding towards NIMB Junction in Pune around 2pm. I was on my RX 100. Speed was around 70-80km/hr. The road was empty except for a Ford Ikon parked near the middle of the road. I went towards the car's right side and was in the process of overtaking it... suddenly saw the car's door right in front of me, I just couldn't react. Next thing I see is the car's door flying off. Then I fell along with the door and my bike. My head slammed on to the road -- Ofcourse, I was wearing a helmet or I wouldn't be writing this. Then next thing I know is that my left leg is trapped under the bike and a Fiat Palio is coming from behind me. Palio's front mudguard caught the RX and dragged both me and bike for a very short distance. And then screeched to a halt.
It all happened because the "very-intelligent" woman driving the Ford Ikon felt like getting some tender coconut from the other side of the road exactly at the moment when I was overtaking her stationary vehicle!!!
My Studds helmet had cracked. I landed in a Neuro ICU. Was there for a week. I had hemorrhage in my eyes and a crushed calf muscle. Took nearly two months to fully recover.

The second one happened in Sept 2011. Was riding down from the mighty Changla to Leh on a rented Thunderbird AVL after visiting Pangong Lake. A female friend was sitting behind me. Was coming downhill, took a curve, saw some rubbles. Applied front brakes instinctively, the bike slipped and fell. Both of us jumped off it. No damages except a broken headlight and some spilled fuel. Now the fun part starts. I just couldn’t start the bike after that. Tried everything, push started it, cleaned the spark plugs, checked the electricals. Then a French Guy on a Bullet came. He also tried to help out. Then a small group started forming. Finally a taxiwallah said to roll down till Shakti Village. That’s like 7 to 8 kms downhill.
We did just that. And we were searching for a mech, when a Mallu soldier came and asked what was the problem??? Told him. He said OKAAYYYYY and he check out the bike for sometime and he filled on a switch and told us to start the bike. The bike started. The engine switch had gone off during the fall!!!
And he knew it cos he had a 2005 Thunderbird. I just couldn’t figure that out cos my 78 Bull never had that button.
Got the headlight fixed for 80 bucks near Leh. Rest of the journey was very very smooth.

Lesson learned: 1, Don’t speed, you are not the only moron on the road, there are ever greater fools
2, Learn the function of each and every switch on a bike before riding on it...
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:21   #44
BHPian

on the morning of the 7th of july, at around 5 30 in the morning, i had just gotten back home from my home town near jaipur(total distance about 600 km) . i got home , had a shower and left with my yamaha crux. about 4 km later , just before getting onto ellisbridge, something happened. the next thing i remember is waking up 4 days later, with tubes all over , and in me. i ended up with 75 staples on myhead along with 2 skull fractures and 3 blood clots in my brain(brain haemmorahges) . been on medication ever since, never sat on a bike without a helmet since.
we really cant take anything for granted, and having left without a helmet turned out to be a terrible mistake.
khalil_khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 08:42   #45
BHPian

This happened 16 years back.

Me & my friend were on a casual Sunday ride on his 4S Champion.

Just as we were picking speed a dog jumps into the road, i brake hard, still manage to hit the dog, we fall down & scrape a lot of skin on the road.

2 weeks on the bed and we are good to go.

The scars are still showing & whenever i see a dog on the road (there are lots of them) i remember that 1 & only crash of my life.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote