Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th November 2009, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Default Makeover of Rover RE 350 - 1975

Prologue:
When i was about to complete Project Wanderer (RE 350-98), i had to go my hometown for one week. As usual rather than involving in Family affairs i got involved in something else............Yes automobile. Having fresh blood in my mouth of Wanderer Project I was serching for something old to work on during weekends. I had few options with me at my home (Jawa, Bobby GTS, Yezdi) but i was kind of of not sure because i was interested in something else. Heavy Crank RE.

So I started my search came across with very few options. Then luck was on my side and i got a call from my Family Mechanic ( He is like our Family Doctor . As soon as i saw this vehicle i got too excited and seller knew i was very interested. After two days of negotiations I got this vehicle.

As per my plan took this bike along with me to Delhi and gifted to my now trusted mechanic. After observing this vehicle we made a list of things to do.

1. Engine Overhaull : Although engine was running but was in absolute bad condition. So complete overhaull is required that includes almost everything (Ring, Piston, Crank Repair, Rocker, Tappet, Timing, Clutch, all engine bearings.
2. Gear Box: When we opened Gearbox, i was literally shocked. Gearbox oil became thicker Greese with lot of dust. So no option other than to change everything.
3. Electricals: Current setup was Six Volt. To give this vehicle more reliability I am converting it to 12 Volts. So each and electrical part is going to change.
4. Front and Rear Tyre : Absolutely bald tyre. Going for MRF 3.25x19 (front) and MRF 3.50x19 . Also rear axle, spokes and rims are going to be brand new. Although i had a option of buying front and rear rim with hub at good rate but I opted for older design to justify it's model.
5. Seat: Going for Split seat with Springs to give it older look with front tool box and side bag probably in light brown leather.
6. Miscellaneous: When i first saw this bike I was overconfident that i would complete this bike @ same cost (amount i soent on Wanderer) with only 15-20 % hike, but this bike would consume more than 120%. But at the same time I was not prepared to compromise on quality. Most of the things are going to changed. I have only Chasis, Engine Casings front shocker rods as old parts.

I have started this project this weekend keeping in mind that i had to complete everything by Friday, because Saturday i had to book both (Rover and Wanderer) to my hometown and this time I can not miss this deadline as I am going to my home for my Marriage . At the same time i dont want to leave my vehicles in Delhi for 20 days. So I am taking my 4 and 2 wheelers to home.

Today is Tuesday - I have three days left to complete everything. I dont know what would happen. But I am planning to take a day off from office and if we (me & my mechanic) would work for 24 hours, then definately we would reach somewhere. But the problem is there are many dependencies (Denter, Painter, Nickelwallah, buffingwallah, spokefitter) and this time GOD is not favouring me as from last few days Rain god is showering his blessings across India.

Anyways WISH ME LUCK.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Here are some photos of bull when i picked him.
Attached Thumbnails
Makeover of Rover RE 350 - 1975-dsci0057.jpg  

Makeover of Rover RE 350 - 1975-dsci0058.jpg  

Attached Images

Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 19:54   #2
BHPian

I have to really appreciate your dedication and determination. One week is all that you planned for that junky and looks like you will make it. All the best for your project, and for your marriage.
ashokrajagopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 20:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shubhendra,

I wish you good luck on this project & I am sure that the Bull will come out nice. One week is a good enough time according to me, & I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the revamped bike.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 22:14   #4
BHPian

congrats & hats off to your determination with Bullet. Seriously man, its awesome
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 22:30   #5
BHPian

All the best buddy!!And don't forget to update this thread as and when you get time.
I can already feel my tongue drooling
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quite a lot of work. Do post the progress with pictures. Hope you got it for dirt cheap.

All the best for the project
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 22:55   #7
BHPian

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks a lot everyone. Your good wishes really gave a boost.
I know "When going gets tough, tougher gets going'.

Tuesday 10:45 PM: Still working in office and coordinating with painter and Nickelwallah. Making PPT but thinking of good colour for my Rover.
Called my few Bullet owner colleagues for smoke, intention was to talk to them about Bullet and 4x4 and reduce stress. Tomorrow is very critical for me it would make or break situation.
Following things are planned for tomorrow.
1. Get chasis and crucial part from painter to start assembling work.
2. I am going for two tone colour, so i will have have to stand by him to guide him.
3. Take nickel parts from vendor and give this to mechanic so that he can start building engine.
4. Going to Karolbagh for taking seats, bags, tyres and some other parts/accessories..
5. give front and rear hub with spokes to tyrewallah.

I think this project would definately check my project management skills

I am keeping my finger crossed to see the final outcome in 3 days.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 17th November 2009, 23:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Quite a lot of work. Do post the progress with pictures. Hope you got it for dirt cheap.

All the best for the project
Thanks Gordon,
Although it was not dirt cheap but it's model justifies its price, because nowdays its getting tough to get 60-70 model.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 17th November 2009, 23:23   #9
BHPian

Default Need Suggestions

All,
I need your help. I am very confused which Horn and Legguard should i fit? My wanderer is still without Horns and legguard.

If you guys can suggest make and price of both, it would be hlpful as i am going tomorrow to pick some stuffs to market.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th November 2009, 00:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Possible to post the list of parts you'll source and replace along with prices?

Thats seriously going to be a very very expensive job. Since you're already spending so much, will be great if you could do the following:

- Round rear mudguard with round mudguard frame
- Get a new lock set
- Newer embossed decals or the Royal Enfield plate that comes with the Standard 350
- Pinstripe on tank
- Get the front fork buffed and not painted

This was recently done up by my friend inside a week. Love it because he's given it a very clean and stock look.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6826
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2998
Size:  106.3 KB
Old 18th November 2009, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Gordon, wht I can see is that the speedo installed in this bike is not standard's, but an Electra speedo. This one has better lights for High beam, Indicators and it has one for neutral too.

The Meter lights in standard are pathetic, there is no neutral light, and highbean and indicator lights are pathetic.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 09:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cool, then you can add the Electra/Machismo speedo. Also when you buy the pilot lamps, PLEASE DO NOT buy the plastic ones. Try getting the glass ones.

Switches: Old switches. The ones with the yellow horn button. The ones shown in the pic above.

Stock taillight unit: Get a stock taillight unit.

Try to retain the footpegs and kick lever. If you can replace them, get the same ones.

Last edited by Gordon : 18th November 2009 at 09:42.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:02   #13
BHPian

If we look at the right hand grip of the bike, we can see the engine kill switch signs. (not sure if the actual switch is there is not, but in standard you do not have engine kill switch or sign ).

But yes, the Swicthes on LHS are consistent with Standard.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 18th November 2009 at 10:03.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 11:06   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Post by Gordon.

Quote:
If we look at the right hand grip of the bike, we can see the engine kill switch signs. (not sure if the actual switch is there is not, but in standard you do not have engine kill switch or sign ).
A useful addition I'd say. The bike is made to look stock, and he tried to incorporate the best of parts and accessories.

He's also added the flat toolboxes, these toolboxes used to come on older Bullets and the newer Machismo's.

Orange indicators instead of white.

Also try getting this front leg guard (see pic). No idea about prices, but if I pass by my spare dealer I'll check the rates. I think it looks very elegant and minimal.

Makeover of Rover RE 350 - 1975-cafe.jpg

Original horn or Fiamm windtones (used in Skoda) are good. Fiamm costs Rs 400.

Last edited by v12 : 18th November 2009 at 11:10.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 13:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
This was recently done up by my friend inside a week. Love it because he's given it a very clean and stock look.
Very tastefully done. I like the low key classic looks with good colour coordination. My compliments to your friend.
flotsam is offline   Reply With Quote