Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 15:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

Do keep in mind that to save a fuel bill of 3k you will be spending same or more amount in EMI+Fuel bills for the bike.

As for the itch to ride well I too use my Bike as a primary mode of transport

The FZ is a good bike but I find it overpriced, you can get an RTR 180 with more power for same money or the P220 for slightly more.

Infact you can buy the Hunk or Xtreme or P150 for a almost 10k less. So make a priority as to why you want to buy a bike & decided accordingly.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:05   #17
BHPian
 
SamuraiJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Do keep in mind that to save a fuel bill of 3k you will be spending same or more amount in EMI+Fuel bills for the bike.

As for the itch to ride well I too use my Bike as a primary mode of transport

The FZ is a good bike but I find it overpriced, you can get an RTR 180 with more power for same money or the P220 for slightly more.

Infact you can buy the Hunk or Xtreme or P150 for a almost 10k less. So make a priority as to why you want to buy a bike & decided accordingly.
Hmm.. I have thought about the bills and am aware that I will be spending around a K more if I own a new bike, that is the concern that instigated me to start the thread.

As for the choices-

Fz- Drop dead naked looks, famed manufacturer, torque (y) ride, this bike has everything I had done to my previous ride (pulsar classic 180) fat tyres/ cut mud flaps and ofcourse the naked front (would have loved a round doom though).

Apache 180- The thrill of riding this bike is the closest or maybe a tad more than the pulsar classic 180, excellent power delivery, but somehow the looks of this bike leave me unimpressed, the white 180 looks the best though.

The new generation Pulsar does not attact me et all, have test ridden up until the 200CC bike and they come nowhere close to the classics in terms of power delivery.. just doesn't feel like a 200 cc bike!!!

Hunk!- no way

Extreme- Nothing against the bike... but nothing for it also.
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

Thats fine everybody has their own preferences, if you feel that FZ fulfills more/most of your criteria then by all means go for it. It is, like I mentioned earlier, a good bike

Btw have you tried the P220
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:31   #19
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Fz- Drop dead naked looks, famed manufacturer, torque (y) ride, this bike has everything I had done to my previous ride (pulsar classic 180) fat tyres/ cut mud flaps and ofcourse the naked front (would have loved a round doom though).
Apache 180- The thrill of riding this bike is the closest or maybe a tad more than the pulsar classic 180, excellent power delivery, but somehow the looks of this bike leave me unimpressed, the white 180 looks the best though.
You are yet to reach the middle age and you are talking about the bike being the last......... Any reason that can be shared?

Go for the bike - because other than the money there are these small things - (a) you save time while commuting on a 2 wheeler; and (b) spending time on the bike (either driving or tinkering with it) is more involving than it is with a car

If I were you, I will go in for the FZ - apart from what you have stated, it handles well, and has one of the slickest gearbox (after the Unicorn, of course!)
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:34   #20
BHPian
 
SamuraiJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

The showroon did not have a test bike for 220, do you know what the OTR could be? I'm sure its a powerful bike and I do see a person wanting to sell his 220 here, second owner for around 60K/ 07 model.. worth it? I would surely strip this bike off its front if I had one!
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:55   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
I'm sure its a powerful bike and I do see a person wanting to sell his 220 here, second owner for around 60K/ 07 model.. worth it? I would surely strip this bike off its front if I had one!
The 2009 P220 DTSi is quite a powerful bike and I own one. If its the 07 model then it would be the P220 DTS-FI with Fuel Injection. Though its a good bike no doubt, I have read a lot of niggles on other forums with the bike. And if you are planning to make it a naked bike, then you better think twice.

Coz when I had been to the SVC recently, i saw a 220 FI which had come for service. The guy had modified the bike by removing the fairing and putting the FZ headlight and also by modifying the alloys etc. But ultimately the entire electrical system somehow burnt and he has to now spend nearly 20k to get it back to shape. Hope this helps.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

The P220 is 78k on road in Pune, should be around 81k or so in Bangalore. You get a lot of goodies for that price.

The Latest one i.e. 220 DTSi is supposed to have almost nill issues when compared to the earlier DTS-Fi, plus its got more power & being a carb engine means it can be attended by any competent mechanic.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:44   #23
BHPian
 
SamuraiJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
You are yet to reach the middle age and you are talking about the bike being the last......... Any reason that can be shared?

Go for the bike - because other than the money there are these small things - (a) you save time while commuting on a 2 wheeler; and (b) spending time on the bike (either driving or tinkering with it) is more involving than it is with a car

If I were you, I will go in for the FZ - apart from what you have stated, it handles well, and has one of the slickest gearbox (after the Unicorn, of course!)
How on earth did you know how old I'am .. well, like I said it will be secondary commute single use so dont see a need for new/change in bikes often- so I guessed it will pretty much be my last bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The 2009 P220 DTSi is quite a powerful bike and I own one. If its the 07 model then it would be the P220 DTS-FI with Fuel Injection. Though its a good bike no doubt, I have read a lot of niggles on other forums with the bike. And if you are planning to make it a naked bike, then you better think twice.

Coz when I had been to the SVC recently, i saw a 220 FI which had come for service. The guy had modified the bike by removing the fairing and putting the FZ headlight and also by modifying the alloys etc. But ultimately the entire electrical system somehow burnt and he has to now spend nearly 20k to get it back to shape. Hope this helps.
Sure does- though not a fan of modding bikes and cars.. I hate the front "fairings" hope I have spelt that correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The P220 is 78k on road in Pune, should be around 81k or so in Bangalore. You get a lot of goodies for that price.

The Latest one i.e. 220 DTSi is supposed to have almost nill issues when compared to the earlier DTS-Fi, plus its got more power & being a carb engine means it can be attended by any competent mechanic.
Thanks Techno- 78 for a carb bike or DTSi?
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:52   #24
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
How on earth did you know how old I'am .. well, like I said it will be secondary commute single use so dont see a need for new/change in bikes often- so I guessed it will pretty much be my last bike.
May be I am clairvoyant.......... (saw your profile, that's what I did)

Change is the only thing that is constant - so am sure after a next couple of years, there will be some drool worthy / lip smacking bike catching your eye........

Back to track, SJ!! One of the aspects of ownership is to "break-in" a new bike. My thumb rule - If you don't know the antecedents of the used bike you are buying, stay away. (BTW, the missus dislikes "second-hand" business)

P220 is a different class of bike - don't think it was intended for "secondary commute" and am sure FZ is better equipped to meet that criteria.....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th November 2009 at 19:46. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

78k OTR in Pune for P220 DTSi which is a carb model, the Fi one is called P220 DTS-Fi
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 18:18   #26
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

I already have two (one bike and one scooter) and am now planning to go in for a third ! Have sort of decided on the Bajaj XCD 135, anyone here own or have had any experience with one ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 19:27   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Have sort of decided on the Bajaj XCD 135, anyone here own or have had any experience with one ?
Though i do not own one, i have heard and read that its a very capable bike in its segment and a very good city commuter that can do short highway stints as well with ease...!!
The advantages over other bikes is the wider rear rubber and the power delivery which is well suited for city riding. Of course aesthetically as well it has lot of improvements over the previous XCD so thats an added bonus!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 13:30   #28
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Thanks Abhinav, now all I need to do is convince my folks back home as to why I need another two wheeler in my stable, easier said than done !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 15:00   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Thanks Abhinav, now all I need to do is convince my folks back home as to why I need another two wheeler in my stable, easier said than done !
That will be tougher than buying the XCD from the showroom..

All the best!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 12:50   #30
BHPian
 
SamuraiJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Booked 2 FZs!!

Ok, I did it today- walked upto to the showroom in Indiranagar and booked 2 of them in Black, one for my cousin..I have kinda coaxed him to pick up one as well, he was more inclined towards the Apache but I have influenced him a lil to change his mind.

Thoughts guys.. let me know if I still need to change my mind, wat disturbed me the most was when a fellow Bhpian responded to my query on a ownership log saying everything was fine with the bike but he sold it ... just not powerful enough was his impression, I have test ridden it in city conditions, do you know how the bike will feel say at a 100KMPH? I felt the classic pulsar 180 did it with ease but the 150 struggled, will it be the same feeling with this bike?
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tork India's FZ16 Electric motorcycle w/ 40 bhp - Will it change the way we commute? adityasiera Motorbikes 36 19th August 2016 15:27
Which bike to buy? Pulsar 220F or Yamaha FZ EDIT: Booked 220F syedhafeez Motorbikes 30 7th January 2014 19:13
Yamaha FZ16 to Yamaha Fazer16 - Conversion modification ebinmoothedam Motorbikes 15 11th January 2012 17:12
New Bike - KarizmaR (80%) or FZ16 (20%)? EDIT - Its Pulsar 220 F Darth Sid Motorbikes 85 22nd October 2010 00:21
SCOOP! Yamaha FZ/FZ150 naked bike now christened FZ16 five46 Motorbikes 95 17th September 2008 17:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks