Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th December 2009, 15:53   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly View Post
... on bike like Karizma and 220 its quite easy and safe to cruise at speedo indicated 110 to 120..
Those sound like famous last words. I think it is irresponsible to make such high speeds seem reasonable. Anyway, we all live and die by the choices we make. I'll say no more on this topic.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 17:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

No body is making any tall claims, all we are saying is that these bike can safely ride at those speeds & at the end its the rider who have to take a call at what speeds he can safely do.

Again you are confusing cruising with speeding.

Also ironically I remember a gentleman who said similar words like you & never rode above 90 & had a Bullet. The last I heard his family forced him to sell his bike because of his frequent accidents.

Anyways to each his own.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 20:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Those sound like famous last words. I think it is irresponsible to make such high speeds seem reasonable. Anyway, we all live and die by the choices we make. I'll say no more on this topic.
Maruti 800 becomes dangerous even at 80kmph with the kind of tyres and technology it loads. But then a Skoda Laura @120kmph can be still a 'normally' driven car. Not just that it feels so, when it comes to sudden braking and steering too the 'technology' DOES matter.

Same is the case with higher end bikes. Someone said burst tyre => we have tubeless tyres here! If that could still break then all premium cars are in the same danger. Otherwise, the weight factor, braking system, overall balance for the bikes like R15, ZMR, 220, RTR are too good. People have to experience it to beleive it. There is a LOOOT of difference between a splendour and a P220, A LOOOOOOOOOT.

My way of bike comparison goes like this => I used to do 70-80kmph to office daily on my P150 DTSi an year back. But now on my P220 DTSi I do ~100kmph on the very same route. Im not too keen to ride to dangerously, just that the bike makes u go fast. SO another important factor is ===> YOU DONT 'FEEL' the speed in 'BETTER' vehicles, be it a car or a bike.

Finally, people talking about 'dangers' awaiting, then stepping out ur house is dangerous if u have a coconut tree right in front of ur house

Speeding doesnt necessarily mean dangerous driving, I admit I have done it in my teens, but as of now, more matured, yeah I ve done speeds of 135kmph (ODO) on my P220, but only after making sure the road is clear, rest leave it to destiny!

Having said that, I would give max points to rider skills!
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 18:29   #64
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, cruising at speeds of 105-110 kmph or even 90-95kmph is just a disaster waiting to happen. Just think of what could happen (tyre burst, a truck ahead having a tyre burst and moving into your lane, a car collision ahead, cattle crossing...) It just needs to happen once...then Finito
BTW: The definition of cruising speed (Merriam-Webster): of an automobile : a speed suitable for being maintained for a long distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
My glorious zma experienced a set down when it crashed yesterday . I bought my zma in 05 on which i have done about 40000 kms and has managed to run it successfully without a scratch but much to my disappointment just yesterday I was riding my zma at 40 -50 in city when out of where a cow jumps off the BRTS divider n runs across the road crashing into my bike n sliding it along with me on the road . My zma has suffered many damages including damage to rear left cowl , front left fairing , front visor and the meter console has also sustained a lot amount of damage along with the handle bar. I myself came out completely intact except for few minor scratches on my hand and knee . Well all I can do right now is thank to the dear lord for saving my life .
Here is an experienced rider (>40,000km) on a very superior bike taken unawares by a cow when riding at 40-50kmph. Imagine the same at 100-120 kmph. I rest my case.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 19:27   #65
JLS
BHPian

I believe, on all Indian roads ( other than expressways), it is dengerous to drive in excess of 80-90 KMs. This is the normal traffic speed I have observed.
More than this, and you are constantly overtaking others by flashing, and many times tailgetting too closely.
So, while I agree that driver's skills are most important aspect, road and traffic condition and other drivers discipline also has to be considered critically.

Regards,

JLS
JLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 19:50   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought you had already rested your case.

Anyways, as fro Meriam that's what I said too that I was able to sustain those speeds for a good part i.e. for longer distance.

Also even in the incident quoted the speed is very low, so what guarantees that slower speeds would ensure no such incidents?

I think you & I have made our view points clear, to each his own, so lets just stick to Abhinav's Review of his P220.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 21:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

Apologies to Abhinav for the OT.

I did Pune-BLR on Monday on my LB500. About 900 Kms. 700 Kilometres of great roads and 150 Kilometres of pathetic roads. I could manage to cover the distance in 14 hours. Throughout the journey I maintained a constant 90-100. The biggest issue I faced was that I was tailgating trucks in no time, and I had to overtake them constantly. This is ok as long as there is one truck. But convoys present other difficulties, especially while nearing the bigger towns. So, 90-100 is definitely possible to maintain on good roads but with many trucks around it is always a risk. It just takes a split second to lose one's life. IMHO, anything above 100 on Indian roads is dangerous.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 20:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

* Bumping the thread for an update *

Folks after owning the P220 for 6 months, I finally sold it off! Yes you read it right.. I sold the P220 in Feb2010. I was getting too busy with family commitments for weekend rides and i was not able to enjoy the bike in the city to its full potential. In fact sometimes in heavy traffic, i would find it too bulky to handle. Since this was a daily ride to office, it was getting tiresome in bumper to bumper traffic.

So finally decided to bid adieu in Feb2010. I had clocked 6570kms on it when i sold it off. The deal was done for 68k.

Now i am back to my first love, RTR160 [Refresh]. I picked up a pre-owned one this time which had hardly done 2800kms for a 2008 model. The owner was traveling most of the time abroad and was not riding the bike much. Loving the city rides with the RTR now like never before. Somehow the RTR breed tends to invoke some kind of passion in me which i cannot put down in words.

Have used the RTR for 3000kms already in 2 months, a feat which the first owner could not do in the near 2 years of his ownership

Last edited by abhinav.s : 30th April 2010 at 20:17.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 20:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an experienced rider (>40,000km) on a very superior bike taken unawares by a cow when riding at 40-50kmph. Imagine the same at 100-120 kmph. I rest my case.
I am sorry for his accident. But I would like to give another thought, he might have saved if he would have been doing 100-120, because he would have then crossed that spot already where cow hit him.

Well my friend was standing near to tample when a cow hit him and he got fractured in his hand.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 30th April 2010 at 20:56.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote