Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 10:56   #31
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
...but the only problem is that if it develops a fault you would be strangeled till you buy another one where we have a alternate of buying two of them...
AE kit is just a replacement for CB system, so needs no modifications to fit. Means in case of it going faulty you can fit the CB point assembly back & run the machine. I would say buy 1 kit & carry the old plate assy-parts as back up.

Quote:
...i am very confused regarding the conversion now that if it should be the Autoescorts conversion or when i am going to open up the engine for replacing the oil pump to the AVL oil pump...
1/ Do the AE kit conversion first. Go for CDI etc later when engine is split for other works.
2/ Tried oil pump from new CI's ? I think Avl pump, needs Crank RH shaft change, any info

Well when all these are done, won't the Std lose its 'feel & charm'
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 01:03   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

i dont give a DAMN to the charm and feel hehehe i have changed 8 pistons in two years so enough of charm hehehe. i am aware that we would need to change the RH shaft lets see what we do. will keep posted in this thread.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 17:02   #33
BHPian
 
iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 228
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

@desideep
can u plz list downn the technical specs of the auto escorts kit.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:11   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

i dont have them call up Kiran from autoescorts you can get the number from a link on the first page that leads to SANKARS thread.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 23:01   #35
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Yes, that's the cost from the showroom but even some spares shop will sell it only 100 to 200 bucks cheaper.
300-400? Interesting... How old is it and how much was it used. Seems quite tempting!
DartSid: You can do one thing, you can buy 4 cable alternaor and some small stuffs for around 1500 rs and buy a computer UPS 12v Battery for 400 rs. and here you go for 12 volts setup.
Few days back during my restoration i have converted my 75 RE to 12 Volts. it will coat you around 2500rs, but its really worth. If you need any help you can PM me. One more advantage of 4 wire alternator that your headlight would be operated by Magnet not battery.

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 01:25   #36
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
DartSid: You can do one thing, you can buy 4 cable alternaor and some small stuffs for around 1500 rs and buy a computer UPS 12v Battery for 400 rs. and here you go for 12 volts setup.
Few days back during my restoration i have converted my 75 RE to 12 Volts. it will coat you around 2500rs, but its really worth. If you need any help you can PM me. One more advantage of 4 wire alternator that your headlight would be operated by Magnet not battery.

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh
Shubhendra,
Thanks for the suggestion. But, I have to ask a couple of questions. The 1500 bucks you mentioned is the cost of a complete alternator assy. made by Lucas or Swiss? Even though Swiss makes really good stuff at reasonable prices, there is a lot of difference in the quality, reliability and life of the products made by the two companies. Sure, even Swiss may work out fine considering that I've been using a desi unbranded 6V stator for the past 4 years and the only trouble it gave me was that its 3-wire lead got fried. I got that changed to a Swiss lead (only the wire and sleeve) and it's been totally trouble-free. With a readymade 15 Amp rectifier (KBPC1510W) bolted onto a Pentium 4 heat sink with fan, the ammeter needle easily hits the +ve side limiter. The point is that some compromise in quality is acceptable but is it safe? Lucas or Swiss?

Secondly, a UPS battery is a deep cycle type battery, if I'm not mistaken, and may not be able to power the horns properly. Interesting idea, though. It'll be a cleaner option and maintenence may not be much of an issue. But, if I'm spending 400 on a UPS battery, I might as well buy an Amaron battery for the Bullet for Rs 650. A friend can help me with that. Besides, changing the battery to 12V will require changing all the bulbs, ignition coil and horns, thereby bringing the cost to about Rs 4000.

Lastly, how did you get a 12V system for only Rs 2500? What parts were included in that and what brand(s)? The estimate I've taken from a couple of places is around Rs 4000. One showroom said Rs 7300!! I'm definitely interested in your inputs.

By the way, the advantage of the 12V system that you mentioned is main thing I'm after. The 6V headlamp is only better than having no headlamp! A nightmare on the highway!
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:34   #37
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
.. One more advantage of 4 wire alternator that your headlight would be operated by Magnet not battery..
Thats a 12v AC usually 35w head lamp, goes dim as rev's drop. Any reason for this preference? Even the current STD's have DC 12v 35w with just a 5Ah batt, stays full bright even at low revs.

Last edited by Rennjit : 17th December 2009 at 10:35.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:45   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

sorry renjit but the new STD are still stuck with AC.


------------------
Go to Jain Spare parts in Karol Bagh and he will be able to give you all the detail. and pricing.

if you want you may consult Baijender in Karol bagh on sunday he is one of the best in NCR.

Last edited by desideep : 17th December 2009 at 10:54.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 00:20   #39
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Thats a 12v AC usually 35w head lamp, goes dim as rev's drop. Any reason for this preference? Even the current STD's have DC 12v 35w with just a 5Ah batt, stays full bright even at low revs.
Does the headlamp really get that dim at low revs? Does the Electra use AC power for the headlamp or DC? What about other RE bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
sorry renjit but the new STD are still stuck with AC.


------------------
Go to Jain Spare parts in Karol Bagh and he will be able to give you all the detail. and pricing.

if you want you may consult Baijender in Karol bagh on sunday he is one of the best in NCR.
AC is that bad? Yeah, Jain is the last stop. I'll ask him about the pricing and details. By the way, do you have the ignition switch mounted in the casquette or in the toolbox. From what I've heard, any wiring harness that uses the 4-wire alternator will not have the old model style ignition switch or mount location. The current Standard 350s don't have an 'Emergency Mode' in the ignition switch.

Whenever I'll go to Karol Bagh, I'll check out that mechanic. Where's the workshop located, though?
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 09:37   #40
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Thats a 12v AC usually 35w head lamp, goes dim as rev's drop. Any reason for this preference? Even the current STD's have DC 12v 35w with just a 5Ah batt, stays full bright even at low revs.
My Bike has a 45W lamp. Not sure about AC/DC part.

However it does get dim at lower revs.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 10:37   #41
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
..renjit but the new STD are still stuck with AC.
Ah! my mistake. I got it, current Kick start models have AC/DC electricals & ES m/cs run full DC. BTW, i've used a 1992 fully stock single owner bull with DC headlamp. Ac/Dc is a later introduction?

@ Darthsid, AC is not anything 'bad' its just that in low revs bulb will not be fully powered. Better opt OE fresh components for results.

@ Shashank, could you pls let us know if 45w is stock, is it a halogen & how it is at lower revs.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 17:08   #42
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Shubhendra,
Thanks for the suggestion. But, I have to ask a couple of questions. The 1500 bucks you mentioned is the cost of a complete alternator assy. made by Lucas or Swiss? Even though Swiss makes really good stuff at reasonable prices, there is a lot of difference in the quality, reliability and life of the products made by the two companies. Sure, even Swiss may work out fine considering that I've been using a desi unbranded 6V stator for the past 4 years and the only trouble it gave me was that its 3-wire lead got fried. I got that changed to a Swiss lead (only the wire and sleeve) and it's been totally trouble-free. With a readymade 15 Amp rectifier (KBPC1510W) bolted onto a Pentium 4 heat sink with fan, the ammeter needle easily hits the +ve side limiter. The point is that some compromise in quality is acceptable but is it safe? Lucas or Swiss?

Secondly, a UPS battery is a deep cycle type battery, if I'm not mistaken, and may not be able to power the horns properly. Interesting idea, though. It'll be a cleaner option and maintenence may not be much of an issue. But, if I'm spending 400 on a UPS battery, I might as well buy an Amaron battery for the Bullet for Rs 650. A friend can help me with that. Besides, changing the battery to 12V will require changing all the bulbs, ignition coil and horns, thereby bringing the cost to about Rs 4000.

Lastly, how did you get a 12V system for only Rs 2500? What parts were included in that and what brand(s)? The estimate I've taken from a couple of places is around Rs 4000. One showroom said Rs 7300!! I'm definitely interested in your inputs.

By the way, the advantage of the 12V system that you mentioned is main thing I'm after. The 6V headlamp is only better than having no headlamp! A nightmare on the highway!
Dart Sid,
First Query:All parts used for this conversionwas from Swiss. There is one shop in Karol Bagh which deals only in SWISS products.
Second Query: I bet on this, Battery works flawless. Iam using the same battery in my Scooty from last 6-7 months. Evevn if i dont use it for one month it's self start work well after that too. i rechecked with my mechanic it is for 350 rs.
And yes if you are getting Amaron battery for 650 rs, please arrange one for me. I am interested in buying one.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 02:34   #43
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Ac/Dc is a later introduction?

@ Darthsid, AC is not anything 'bad' its just that in low revs bulb will not be fully powered. Better opt OE fresh components for results.
I understand AC is not bad and I know the headlight gets dim at low revs. I meant to ask if the headlamp gets so dim at low revs that it's a problem.

AC/DC is definitely a later introduction and I don't think it came right after RE switched over from 6V to 12V electricals. I've heard of early 12V models with the headlight powered by the battery and the alternator dedicated to charging the battery. If you've seen a three-wire alternator, that would be an all DC system. I'm not too sure of this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dart Sid,
First Query:All parts used for this conversionwas from Swiss. There is one shop in Karol Bagh which deals only in SWISS products.
Second Query: I bet on this, Battery works flawless. Iam using the same battery in my Scooty from last 6-7 months. Evevn if i dont use it for one month it's self start work well after that too. i rechecked with my mechanic it is for 350 rs.
And yes if you are getting Amaron battery for 650 rs, please arrange one for me. I am interested in buying one.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Where is this shop and do they keep 6V stuff, too? I wonder if the Swiss alternator is nearly as good and reliable as Lucas... Does your bike have the ignition switch in the toolbox or casquette (next to the ammeter)? What all parts did the 2500 bucks include? Even with Swiss, I doubt you can get it done in that amount.

Cranking a self, albeit small, after 6-7 months is a big deal for a UPS battery. That means it can easily power horns in normal usage.

As for the battery, I'll be able to get it through a friend who's dealing in batteries for commercial batteries. However, I haven't met him in quite a while so it'll be a while before I can talk to him about a battery. Doesn't seem nice, does it?

Also, I'm close to taking a decision (but not totally there, yet) on the conversion. There's a good chance I may hold on to the 6V system until a vital (read expensive) component fails. Till then, I've stocked up on pilot lamp bulbs (20 pieces) and tail lamp bulbs (8 pieces) and am looking for some other 6V components in case of problems. At this time both the alternator and battery are in excellent condition. I'm building a rectifier at home to maximise power output and expect 12 Amp+ output at high revs which will help with night driving.

If and when I'll get an Amaron battery, I'll ask you first. Maybe with 2 batteries, a better price can be had.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 03:52   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Ah! my mistake. I got it, current Kick start models have AC/DC electricals & ES m/cs run full DC. BTW, i've used a 1992 fully stock single owner bull with DC headlamp. Ac/Dc is a later introduction?

@ Darthsid, AC is not anything 'bad' its just that in low revs bulb will not be fully powered. Better opt OE fresh components for results.

@ Shashank, could you pls let us know if 45w is stock, is it a halogen & how it is at lower revs.
35/35 is the OEM and its good enough. i had a 65/55 on the bike it was running amazing i had to put it on cause the 35/35 would fuse when i used to rev up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dart Sid,
First Query:All parts used for this conversionwas from Swiss. There is one shop in Karol Bagh which deals only in SWISS products.
Second Query: I bet on this, Battery works flawless. Iam using the same battery in my Scooty from last 6-7 months. Evevn if i dont use it for one month it's self start work well after that too. i rechecked with my mechanic it is for 350 rs.
And yes if you are getting Amaron battery for 650 rs, please arrange one for me. I am interested in buying one.
Swiss parts are good enough for Bullet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I understand AC is not bad and I know the headlight gets dim at low revs. I meant to ask if the headlamp gets so dim at low revs that it's a problem.

AC/DC is definitely a later introduction and I don't think it came right after RE switched over from 6V to 12V electricals. I've heard of early 12V models with the headlight powered by the battery and the alternator dedicated to charging the battery. If you've seen a three-wire alternator, that would be an all DC system. I'm not too sure of this, though.



Where is this shop and do they keep 6V stuff, too? I wonder if the Swiss alternator is nearly as good and reliable as Lucas... Does your bike have the ignition switch in the toolbox or casquette (next to the ammeter)? What all parts did the 2500 bucks include? Even with Swiss, I doubt you can get it done in that amount.

Cranking a self, albeit small, after 6-7 months is a big deal for a UPS battery. That means it can easily power horns in normal usage.

As for the battery, I'll be able to get it through a friend who's dealing in batteries for commercial batteries. However, I haven't met him in quite a while so it'll be a while before I can talk to him about a battery. Doesn't seem nice, does it?

Also, I'm close to taking a decision (but not totally there, yet) on the conversion. There's a good chance I may hold on to the 6V system until a vital (read expensive) component fails. Till then, I've stocked up on pilot lamp bulbs (20 pieces) and tail lamp bulbs (8 pieces) and am looking for some other 6V components in case of problems. At this time both the alternator and battery are in excellent condition. I'm building a rectifier at home to maximise power output and expect 12 Amp+ output at high revs which will help with night driving.

If and when I'll get an Amaron battery, I'll ask you first. Maybe with 2 batteries, a better price can be had.
The Bulb would be dim initially on idel after that when you start moving it is normal.

This kinda system is in the bikes with a self start (i assume by what i have seen and also the initial TCI electra's)

Sid i would recon not to think too much just move on with the 12 V conversion in a normal way if you are not too much of a SIT WITH THE MECHANIC and WORK it out kinda guy. cause the normal 12 V conversion works perfectly fine i can say cause i have had it on my bike for 2 years. its just that now i want to move away from CB points and then i still am looking at all the possibilities that i have with that AVL crank case
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:28   #45
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Well, desideep, I'm more of a 'NOT-SIT-WITH-THE-MECHANIC-AND-WORK-IT-OUT-MYSELF' kind of guy when it comes to electricals.

I've decided to stick to 6V for now and will upgrade when either the alternator or the battery fails. There's also the chance that I may wake up one morning and feel like I need more voltage to make my day and 6 volts just won't do it. Till then I'll continue with my experiments with the 6V system. I'm currently working on building a custom rectifier with individual diodes, aluminium sheet and Araldite. Also looking at a pre-built rapid recovery bridge rectifier to address current output. I'm trying to get 12+ DC Amps from the alternator.

As for Swiss, it's good enough alright but does anybody have any experience with a Swiss alternator? I'm sure you have a Lucas rotor and stator in your bike.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two New Enfields : The Bullet Standard & Electra with 500 EFI rk_sans Motorbikes 39 16th March 2013 22:42
Differences between RE Electra X and the New Electra Twinspark bornin70s Motorbikes 18 17th May 2010 19:23
DIY : Swift + Electra comps + Electra sub + havells power wire jithudigitised In-Car Entertainment 17 26th October 2009 16:38
Bullet 350/Electra 4S/ Electra 5S neoisme Motorbikes 23 16th June 2009 17:24
info about electra 5s chullan_no1 Motorbikes 0 28th October 2005 01:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks