Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th January 2010, 03:41   #46
BHPian

Rennjit,
That's quite interesting. That part about overshooting a ratio - I used to have that problem until I replaced the M-plate right behind the outermost cover of gearbox. The travel of the gear lever was reduced to avoid the problem. I think it needs replacement again. Its edges tend to wear out with use, resulting in increased throw of the lever inside the gearbox cover that connects the gear lever to the neutral finder. What is it called?
Can you point me to any information resource where I can find out how the whole gearbox functions? I'm sure a few others here would like to be enlightened as I do.

Thanks.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 05:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

hmm i did not know that we can write a book on changing the bullet gears, though with my little exprerience on the thumpers i have realized that its a personal choice what you want to do and how you want to shift. oh that reminds me where is my bullet
take care all you all
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 20:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey there,

Buddy, thanks again for going in-depth & explaining the concept & working. But I would say this again that this is not the scenario in a proper & tuned gearbox. As you have rightly asked, things can go wrong anywhere & with anything & at times when you least expect. All this accounted for, we cannot deny what's fact & what should happen. I do not think we need to think about what can happen in a tuned setup, what we were discussing was whether or not this is possible in a tuned gearbox or not. And it is not, although this is possible in a Bullet gearbox. I hope you get what I have been trying to say here.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
^ picture just says why & how Neutral Finder over/under shifts wrf improper settings & the possibility to slot first with NF though not intended for. Ok, so with a well set box don't we get false neutrals? and don't some enthusiastic shifts overshoot next ratio?
See this pic showing box at Neutral, 'N-1' indicates spacing between N,1 gears &'1'is first ratio. Slider assy moves from R to L for downshifts. Nothing stops slider at neutral other than NF pedal's limiter. A good press from/at 2nd gear, imparts enough moment for slider assy to slip past 'N-1' & slot 1st though pedal movement is stopped at N position.
Attachment 256167
Works on a slowing down bike as rpm also aids moment. May be a well set precise box won't do but free-er boxes does easy. I haven't tried specifically on well set box however mine had no issues as well. Be gentle on NF gets neutral. This is how i did:
^ no idea how this happens. any info?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:40   #49
BHPian

Hello guys,

Facing a new issue in my Bull. I'm not able to shift to third gear. So, I had to limp around in 2nd gear. And this is a sudden development. Had not faced this issue till yesterday.
Can someone help me figure out the issue.

Thanks
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 19:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^ zed, any resolution to the problem you were facing?
Old 8th October 2010, 08:43   #51
BHPian

@Blackfire: Yes it was a minor issue. The ratchet was broken. Got it replaced and its running fine now.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 21:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^ Ok, glad to know that.

Happy thumping.