Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th October 2010, 14:00   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Why don't you look into fitting a single seat? Let your wife try it once, if she likes it you can get the frame modified.
You mean the double seat - Is it available for CL 350 ? The double seats of STD/Electra requires some fittings on the frame/sariguard but I dont want to do any modifications on the frame yet. As for my wife, if she doesnt like my Bullu, she can catch a bus.

regards

San
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 19:11   #452
BHPian

Hello Stnair,

Glad to see posts from you and the ride response.

My current odo reads 900kms and 1st service was done at 500kms on last Thursday (September 30th).

Lost of niggles have cropped up, will shortly post an review post 1st service and the things that were taken care off.

Update - Am leaving for Goa on Friday morning (October 8th) and hoping to get the 2nd service done by the end of next week.

Its going to be a 1200+kms round trip. Right now am comtemplating taking NH - 17 keeping in mind the scenic ghats on the way. However, lot of people are also asking me to consider NH - 4 via Kolhapur - Belgaum.

Any inputs/suggestions are welcome.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 21:39   #453
Senior - BHPian

Hey!

All the best for the trip. Absolutely envy you!

I would recommend the NH-17. I have never seen a road quite like it in India! It was great an year and a half ago. Do check with experienced folk like HVK if it survived the recent monsoons.

All the best again, and click loads of pictures.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 23:07   #454
BHPian

@mantrig

Thats great. Don't forget to go to Arambol beach - Banyan Tree, check out youtube to see what it is.
All the best for trip

Ride safe
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 00:37   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey!

All the best for the trip. Absolutely envy you!

I would recommend the NH-17. I have never seen a road quite like it in India! It was great an year and a half ago. Do check with experienced folk like HVK if it survived the recent monsoons.

All the best again, and click loads of pictures.
Thank Achint - Will be taking NH-17 will going to Goa and planning to take the NH-4 on my way back.

Will click loads of pictures for sure and give a short write-up once back. Not too good with at writing but will try giving it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
@mantrig

Thats great. Don't forget to go to Arambol beach - Banyan Tree, check out youtube to see what it is.
All the best for trip

Ride safe
Thanks Ricky, BTW Where is this Arambol Beach exactly? Can you tell me the closest town/city close by?

If its not too far off road from the NH-17 I would love to go there.

Update on the ride post 1st Service

Date of Delivery :- 9/11/2010

1st Service :- @ 500kms on 9/30/2010

Current Odo :- 896 kms

Highlights :-
  • The gear shifting has changed drastically and is butter smooth now
  • Engine over-heating issues have reduced to a large extent
  • False nuetrals are very marginal as compared to earlier
  • Ride feel is much smoother generally and engine sounds more refined
  • Comfort has never been a issue so far where the seat is concerned, however I wish the handle was a little more higher something like the Electra as I like to sit upright (I am 5'10 and weigh around 80-82kgs)
Issues :-
  • Oil leak from Head - The service centre guys opened the head and applied some red solution which has stopped the leak now
  • Chain Hitting the gaurd - The chain was loose which has been tightened
  • Fuel Leak (Very Minor) - From the joint just above the fuel cock, the screw has been tightened using an allen key but seems to persist
Overall the bike feels much better than what it was till last week. Have been advised to keep the bike around 70kmph for next 1000kms (till 2000kms) but sometimes can do small 80kmph speeds for 5/10 secs on empty streches. Still to try it and as am very skeptical.

To really summarize the entire ownership experience till date, I would not might saying that it has been a wise decision to buy the beast. RE could have done much better on the quality front as I am not very happy with the quality of paint job on the bike, which seems to be something that is of as okay quality.

The bike is a pleasure to ride and I am yet to find discomfort while riding her for more then 50-60kms at a stretch which I have done pretty often. I believe I might have a different opinion once I finish my 1200km Goa trip and am back to give my feedback on Tuesday morning.

Guys please let me know if I am missing something on the list of things to carry on my trip from the spares point of view :-
  • Front and rear trye tubes
  • Clutch Cable
  • Accelarator Cable
  • Spark plugs
  • A litre of Engine Oil
  • Tool Kit which came along with the bike
Old 7th October 2010, 08:43   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
  • Comfort has never been a issue so far where the seat is concerned, however I wish the handle was a little more higher something like the Electra as I like to sit upright (I am 5'10 and weigh around 80-82kgs)
I think its possible to raise the handle a little bit higher - perhaps 1 inch - from the factory set position. Have you tried it? Could make lot of difference in handling.

All the best for your NH-17 trip. Ride safe. NH-17 passes through my town in Kerala - perhaps one day I will also......

regards
San
Old 7th October 2010, 12:16   #457
BHPian

Hey i have attached a Google Maps link to the arambol beach

Untitled - Google Maps

Enjoy the trip

Ride Safe
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 23:59   #458
BHPian

Thank you so much folks. Had a busy day today, lot of packing and shopping to do.

Slept well, leaving at 4:00am.

Thank you Ricky for the maps, I did see the video on you tube as well. Will try to make it for sure.

Hey Stnair, will join you when you plan this trip.
Old 11th October 2010, 23:36   #459
BHPian

Default RE CL 350 Pre 1st service ride

Touched 450km today - called RE service for booking 1st service and they gave a date 10 days after ! Now how to ride a Bull for 10 days and keep the Odo under 50 km - any idea anyone

I am getting the hang of riding the Bull. Nice sunny weather in North Kerala these days. Its very tempting to twist the throttle and let him go - but holding back just under 50-55 for the sake of running in - and now I have to let him rest because the stupid Service centre cant service me for the next ten days . I wonder what keeps them so busy - they hardly sell two or three bulls per month.

@EssYouWee
Did you get the Motul Synthetic? Eager to hear the performance report. If good, I plan to look for buying now itself to change at 2nd service.

regards

san

Last edited by stnair : 11th October 2010 at 23:37. Reason: spelling correction
Old 12th October 2010, 00:35   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Touched 450km today - called RE service for booking 1st service and they gave a date 10 days after ! Now how to ride a Bull for 10 days and keep the Odo under 50 km - any idea anyone

I am getting the hang of riding the Bull. Nice sunny weather in North Kerala these days. Its very tempting to twist the throttle and let him go - but holding back just under 50-55 for the sake of running in - and now I have to let him rest because the stupid Service centre cant service me for the next ten days . I wonder what keeps them so busy - they hardly sell two or three bulls per month.

@EssYouWee
Did you get the Motul Synthetic? Eager to hear the performance report. If good, I plan to look for buying now itself to change at 2nd service.

regards

san
Hi San!

The waiting period for the service is absolute bull. Call up the area sales manager and escalate the issue.
Or else, go to the center on any weekday early in the morning.

My workshop services almost 1/4 of all officially serviced Bulls in Delhi, and yet I have never had to wait!

I have located the dealer, but haven't been able to take time out to buy the oil. Busy with some things at the home front. I doubt I'll be able to get it changed even if I buy the oil. So, just waiting for some time to clear up.

Will update the thread as soon as I move ahead on that front.

By the way, stick with the recommended oil for your first service. You can always make the synth shift after the run-in.

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2010, 22:47   #461
BHPian

Default RE CL 350 Comparison and short review

Some friends and a cousin of mine are asking how my new Bull compares with Unicorn/splendor etc. So here is a short review:

Ive ridden a splendor for 10 years. Butter smooth and solid gear shift, High Fuel efficiency (I got consistently above 63kmpl) and moreover very high built quality - not a speck of rust or paint peel off anywhere after 10 years (or 10 monsoons in kerala coastal area). Though I do not own a Pulsar or Unicorn, I know both closely. Pulsars offer the most "technology for money" option - DTSi, Digital Console, Gas shocks, LED in switch gears,Tubeless alloys, oil cooling, improving quality day by day and good sales and service (compared to some other companies). Honda's Unicorn undoubtedly offers the best "value for money" bike even after many years of its introduction. For 70k rupees, its unmatcheable in performance, comfort, engine smoothness, fuel efficiency and built quality. Many may say its 'outdated' etc but if you want to spend your hard earned money on something 'Tried and trusted' and decent, go for the Unicorn. (Its the only bike with 8 months waiting queue other than RE in kerala - and that means something)

As for the comparison between Bullet and Unicorn and Splendor etc - Like Javed Jaffrey says in the Maggie hot and sweet tomato ketchup advt - "Its different". A Bullet is a very "Individual" and "personal" motorcycle and its not proper to genaralise and compare it with any other bike. If you ask me a "practical" and "common sense" opinion, I would say Unicorn/splendor etc is far better than Bullet and I wouldnt "advise" anyone to buy the Bullet. But then, We dont always follow our "common sense" and each one has some weaknesses/madness - for me, I went crazy and bought a Bullet.

Riding impressions? - Let me first tell you the bad things:(I havent gone above 55kmph due to running in limitations)
  • Its big and heavy - 180kg without petrol - my nightmare is a puncture and having to push it.
  • The new UCE engine (left gear, right brake, integrated gear box) is very noisy and vibrates like hell. Whole body shakes at certain speeds.
  • Poor paint quality - for a bike costing 1.1Lakhs, its horrible. Last day the petrol pump fellow put his nozzle in the tank and some paint around the tank cap peeled off. While parked, I kept my helmet over the right mirror and paint peeled off over the tiger eye lamp. Lucky i got it after rains - with a lazy fellow like me, dont know how many monsoons it will last. Actually I changed to black color because I knew it would be like this from other reviews. Atleast I can buy some 100ml black paint and brush it over.
  • Horrible gear shift - full of false neutrals. And trying to find the 'real neutral' at some red light is another story . Sometimes It makes such a noise while shifting - getting wild stares from people around thinking who is this parasite riding a Bull. Gurus say it will improve after 1st service... lets see.
  • The characterestic "thumping" sound of old generation Bullets is not there due to the new engine and BS-III pollution control norms. This one sounds like a sewing machine. The short bottle will make the sound "louder" but not Bassy.
  • Customer care - I completed 450km yesterday and called them for 1st service and they gave me a date after 10 days!. Now my choice is to ride 50km in 10 days or revert back to good old Scoooty.
  • No "back aches". But only "Back breaks" trying to pull it on and off the main stand.
  • Other minor nig nags like pathetic horn (think of a lion roaring like a cat!), lack of accessories, mirrors with poor visibility, separate ignition and handle lock, and the worst of all - not even a fuel gauge ! Am carrying a wooden scale like old Autorikhshaw drivers - dip in the tank and measure the petrol level !
This thread and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html gives plenty of insights to owning a new generation RE.

Now whats the good thing?
  • I still like it.
Somewhere in another thread a discussion was there - "Whats bigger than a Bullet?". After many debates spanning several pages, an answer is given - "Its the pride of owning one". The "Royal" feeling you get while riding an Enfield Bullet is unmatchable - No Pulsar/Splendor/Unicorn comes anywhere near it - not on speed/performance basis - but on a "Pride of ownership" basis.

regards
san
Old 12th October 2010, 23:40   #462
Senior - BHPian

Great review San!

Do avoid using the scale in the tank. Contaminated fuel and clogged filters aren't a good experience for your Bull.

As far as the pulling it on the center stand is concerned, I found that ridiculously easy for a bike weight ~200 kilos. I hope you make use of your legs more than your back. Step hard on the round mount attached to the center stand and just guide the bike backwards while applying downward pressure with your foot.
Many a times the surface plays a huge role in how easy/difficult this task can be.

It is something that will definitely stop troubling you once you get the hang of it.

Sometimes Bulleteers feel shy learning things they ought to know riding one. When I got my Bull, I spent the entire afternoon getting the kick action right. Yeah, the whole neighborhood thought I had lost it, but there is no shame in learning what is tough.
And then, I used to find it really difficult to maneuver in traffic. I asked for advice on the forum even though I know people who have passed on that just so that they aren't called wimps. It is only by practice that I learned the art of letting the Bull work while you just guide it around.
I kind of don't agree with the muscular macho dude stereotype of bulleteers. In fact, most good riders I know aren't all that well built!

PS: Apologise for the rambling.
Old 13th October 2010, 10:15   #463
BHPian

Achint

Thanks for the comments. But that 'review' was aimed at some of my friends and cousins who are asking Why I bought a Bullet (and why not a Unicorn/karizma) and not for Gurus like you.

Actually when I ask the same question myself Why I bought it? I cant find a decent answer except I am crazy. I mean when I compare it with the lost opportunity of buying a new 'CB Unicorn', Is it cheap -No, Mileage -less, Comfort -less (vibrates), Handling -Heavy, Quality -No, Instrument panel -No (No Tacho, fuel gauge, central lock), Bullet Thump -No, The answer to any question is No No No ! So now you understand my rambling about Pride of ownership etc.

Splendor is the largest selling bike in the world. Still I never had to 'book' a service with Hero Honda. I go there at my convenience, give the bike in morning, take delivery by evening, all service completed.

Regarding the Centre stand, I still feel the ergonomics is bad and needs improvement. I am aware of fulcrum and lever effect etc but that holds good for Scooty or Splendor. I weigh 70kg, so stepping on the fulcrum means an additional 20-30kg effort for a scooty/splendor. (think of lifting a gas cylinder). But the bull weighs ~ 190kg means an additional effort of 120 kg? (try and lift 4 gas cylinders!). Another problem is I am 5'10", I step on the mount point and then has to 'bent and lean' to catch the handle placed near the tool box. So My left hand is on Bull's left handle, Right foot on the centre stand round mount, shoulder and back bent and leaned to catch the handle with my right hand and then 'pull' the bike backwards to mount the centre stand..... whole thing feels un-ergonomic. One improvement RE could do is to keep the 'stepping point' on the stand a bit away from the fulcrum like in other bikes which gives additional multiplied lever effect (force x distance) and the effort will be far less.

Today morning I was at a redlight (with wife) and some 'bikes' were nearby. The light turned green and they zoomed ahead. But with just a twist of throttle, the Bull roared ahead chasing them inch to inch - before the common sense of 'running in' forced me to cut the throttle - something I could never do with splendor. Feels great !

regards
san
Old 13th October 2010, 12:22   #464
Senior - BHPian

Hehe! That happens, you will eventually find that off the lights our Bulls aren't all that bad.
I am 5'11" and weigh 75 kgs, so we have it similar in dimensions as well.
Try practicing it a bit more, no point breaking your back over something that silly! And agree with the design flaw for the stand as well.

Hope you are enjoying it!

PS: I am no Guru! There are many others who deserve that title much more.

Cheers
Old 14th October 2010, 21:19   #465
BHPian

Default Oval Toolbox

Hi Guys

Just curious - The Oval toolbox at the right side near Air filter box - Is it available only in Classic 500? I pulled the cover off my CL350 and found only a black square sealed box inside connected to Airfilter on one side and carburettor on the other side. Was it like this from the beginning or is it a recent modification?

regards
san