Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th October 2010, 22:10   #466
BHPian

Default Ride to Goa on CL350 - Part 1 (Goa via NH 17)

Sorry for the delay folks, was to tied up with the back log at work and finally had sometime to chalk my trip down.

The trip started on Fri, Oct 8 at 4:30am from Powai where I completed my graveyard shift and left for Goa.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-left-mumbai-934.jpg

The convincing to be done back home, to my girlfriend and friends was difficult as they were not really keen on me doing this journey all by myself as I planned on riding solo. I had to test my endurance, the cruising capabilities of my CL350 and need a break from hectic work schedules which have been taking a toll on me.

I would like to keep the write up as crisp as possible and will let the pictures do the talking (A mix from Camera & Cell).

So coming back to where I started, I left from work at 4:30am from Powai and reached Mankurd (just before the New Bombay flyover to exit the city) at 5:30am after a regular breakfast, petrol and some minor preparations for the trip.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-vashi.jpg

The road ahead seemed very exciting as I knew there was a lot to be covered and I would be seated for more than 12 hours on the saddle. I had not even crossed Panvel, when I was compelled to slowdown and my average speed was nothing more than 40kmph due to the dense fog which accompanied me till 8:00am and let me cover only 125kms (almost 3hrs) until then.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-fog.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-sun-rise.jpg

Once I crossed Wadkhal Naka and headed out on a road which seemed to be like never ending the weather was just perfect. The time seemed to be flying by along with the distance but my worry of October heat disappeared as even at 9:30 the weather still was chilly.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-never-ending-road.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-morning.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-mahad.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-1000kms.jpg

I decided not to halt and continued my ride even after I crossed Poladpur (from where you take a left to Mahabaleshwar) without halting for anything more than a leak or a smoke.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-mahabaleshwar.jpg

And by then the clock read 10:00am and I had just entered the Kasheri Ghat. Things were looking great, road was very inviting for better speeds but my running in woes had a long way to go before they got over. Still more than 900 kms to go before I completed 2000kms.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-kasheri-4.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-kasheri-3.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-kasheri-2.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-kasheri.jpg

Finally I reached Khed and the clock read 10:45am and I took my first halt for some Garma Garam vadapav and Chai. Sipped almost 1L of water which was electrolyzed and headed towards Chiplun.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-khed.jpg

I thought of taking a halt there for Lunch, but then the following sign told me to skip the halt and Chiplun and I was sure of having my lunch at Ratnagiri and Dinner in Goa.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-lunch-ratnagiri.jpg

While I was in Khed a buffalo tried making way through my parked bike and a truck parked next to my bike and ended up pushing the bike down to rest on the wall next to the shop. Before I could run and catch the bike I had her resting down with a bruised bar-end weight and scrapped crash guard along with the front brake lever. (Luckily – Crash Guard and Saddle Bags ensured no further damage.)

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-ratnagiri-ganpati-pule.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-truckers.jpg

Just when I crossed the right to Ganpatiphule before Ratnagiri I realized the road started looking more and more beautiful. The only halts I was taking was to capture some snaps of breathtaking landscapes.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-ratnagiri.jpg

2:00pm and I hit Ratnagiri and decided to take a nice 45min break for lunch and some fruit juices. Spoke with folks back home and ended up getting calls from friends who saw my FB updates from time to time and they were glad I made it in one piece to Ratnagiri and wanted to make sure if I was keen on going any further. But I was determined to complete this journey on the same day as I had plans to join a party @ Calangute (Beach in Goa) that night.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-road-2.jpg

The journey started from Ratnagiri again from where Panjim was almost 265kms and I decided to go another 100kms before I took a halt again.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-panaji-165kms.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-panaji.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-mee.jpg

After this there was no stopping as I wanted to take my next halt only after I crossed the State border and that’s exactly what I did. I made it to Goa at sharp 8:30 and checked into my hotel room at the Baga beach at 9:15pm, took a shower and left for some wine-n-dine.

Journey on NH-17

The road is beautiful and a pleasure to ride on till we hit Sawantwadi, after which the final 100kms to Goa border start and those 100ms were the worst part of my journey ever. Roads narrower than the smallest lanes in a city, very dusty making it difficult to sight anything further and full of pot holes and to make it worst full of crushed tarmac and stones. On one instance I had an egg sized stone pelted at me from the tyres of a truck ahead and luckily it hit my helmet as I ducked.

But overall the journey on NH-17 was simply amazing and something that I will look forward to again. Except for the final 100kms before we enter Goa border were really bad but once you enter the State of Goa the roads are butter smooth and cruising at 70kms effortlessy was possible. (Remember - I could not go beyond those speeds as I was still running in my engine)

Bike Performance & Comfort

The bike responded beautifully on each and every stretch we took on our journey. I had initially expected a lot of heating issues, however the fact is I never encountered any of those. And the bike comfortably kept cruising at a constant of 70kmph for more than 70% of the journey. She responsed the same even in the 14 hour of the ride as she felt when I left from Mumbai. Only difference was that she had a dust provide her with a blanket to rest the night ahead after the long journey that it was.

I was skeptical about the seat and comfort it would offer on this 15 hour journey, but I never really had a chance to complain. Little numbness in the butt would occur on any bike if seated for these long hours but no back pain or any lower back issues due to the ride. The only pain I encountered was on my left collar muscle and I realized that the culprit here was my camera pouch was hung continuously on one side of my neck to avoid any time pass while I crossed the beautiful nature. I realized this only after I crossed Ratnagiri and hence moved the camera into my Cramster Hippo – Waist Pouch which ensured the pain disappeared within an hour of riding post the change.

She returned a mileage of 40-42 kmpl throughout the journey and am not sure if that is bad or good but I was a happy guy at the end of the trip to Goa. Had a nice dinner with a couple of drinks and crashed @ around 1:00am was up again as fresh as a Daisy next morning at 8 for breakfast at Infantria - A place you should visit while in Goa @ Calangute Beach.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-infantria-4.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-infantria-3.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-infantria-2.jpg
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-infantria.jpg

More to come about my stay in Goa and my ride back via NH – 4 which was a totally different experience. Along with some disappointments from RE which leave us with a bitter taste at the end of day for the way we are treated as customers.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-left-4m-mumbai.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-chiplun-2.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-chiplun.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-9oclock.jpg  

mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 23:54   #467
Senior - BHPian

@Mantrig- awesome pictures You reminded me off my trip two years ago which I made from Pune to Murud through Bhoor Ghat. I have never seen any place like that in India where you can travel across mountains for 40kms and still see no mankind. Was a bit scary as me and my friend travelled at night through the ghats and the stories about the bhoor ghats were not very promising. I still remember the Shiva Ji intersection as in your picture where it diverts to Goa as well.

I envy you for making this trip on your bull. One picture from me of the journey to Murud through bhoor ghat.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 2633
Size:  62.7 KB
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 01:31   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Mantrig- awesome pictures You reminded me off my trip two years ago which I made from Pune to Murud through Bhoor Ghat. I have never seen any place like that in India where you can travel across mountains for 40kms and still see no mankind. Was a bit scary as me and my friend travelled at night through the ghats and the stories about the bhoor ghats were not very promising. I still remember the Shiva Ji intersection as in your picture where it diverts to Goa as well.

I envy you for making this trip on your bull. One picture from me of the journey to Murud through bhoor ghat.
Thank you Sanjeet, thats a nice pic.

On my way back I took a ghat which many local told me not to take. But instead of taking the Amboli ghat to Kolhapur I decided to go the other way to Nipani and those 80kms took me almost 3 hours with hardly any mankind or even vehichles passing my way. Was scared at some point as was riding for 30+kms through a road where no sun shine was to be seen even at 3:00pm in the afternoon and the only thing I could hear other than my bike were langurs and weird noises. To make things worse, it was very cold on that road and I was shivering all the way.

Couple of pics from that Ghat, where way up was open and scenic hills

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc02143.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc02130.jpg

A Dam on the top of the Ghat

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc02133.jpg

and down hill was through a dense forest which seemed never ending without any vehichle passing by for almost an hour or any trace of any mankind. I dared not to stop anywhere even to click from my camera, this pic was taken while riding from my bb. After this picture that you can see the road was such that even the sky could not be seen and only trees covering the roads which were not wider than a SUV to fit on it. Would not recommend this stretch for any one going alone (especially not with better half or kids) or post sunset ever.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img00136201010111711.jpg
Old 15th October 2010, 02:45   #469
Senior - BHPian

This is some great stuff!

Very exciting indeed. I so want to do a long one on my Bull sometime soon. With winters fast approaching, it seems like a bleak possibility now. :(

Congratulations on a successful trip.

PS: Eagerly awaiting part 2
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 09:40   #470
BHPian

@mantrig

Your adventure and pictures make me go

Now I ve started brainwashing my wife to let me go.. go... go... goa...

regards
san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 12:35   #471
BHPian

Goodshow man and beautiful pics. Wow some of those roads look real interesting.

Good to see the ride being so much fun. I am planning for a Nh-17, NH 7 trip sometime december when I plan to try some village roads apart from Nh-17. Heard they are very scenic.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 20:21   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

Congratulations on a successful trip.

PS: Eagerly awaiting part 2
Thank you Achint. I know the winters for you might be a terrible weather for you to venture out on those long rides.

For us here in Mumbai, winters simply are a gift as they give us a pleasant weather to make these trips wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@mantrig

Your adventure and pictures make me go

Now I ve started brainwashing my wife to let me go.. go... go... goa...

regards
san
Thanks San, you do have a big task ahead. Think of the shopping list she can give you as a barter for your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Goodshow man and beautiful pics. Wow some of those roads look real interesting.

Good to see the ride being so much fun. I am planning for a Nh-17, NH 7 trip sometime december when I plan to try some village roads apart from Nh-17. Heard they are very scenic.
Rahul, we need to catch up sometime soon. May be for a early morning ride. We have Axe77 and Chintan also on board who are from Mumbai and would be more than happy to thump along.
Old 21st October 2010, 21:47   #473
BHPian

Default Bullu CL 350 1st service completed

Hi folks

Completed the 1st service of my Bullu (CL 350) today.(530km in the Odo) Oil and Oil filter changed - Rs 650/-. The engine seems loosened up a bit, ready to run past 50, 60 easily though I am restraining below 60kmph. Gears are more slick but not as smooth as I expected - may be it requires more time.

I hit fuel reserve at 549 km today. I had filled total 14.75 litres of petrol in addition to initial filling 1litre by R.E . So the F.E is roughly 35kmpl ? I filled up a small quantity today so I will know the exact F.E when I hit reserve next time. (Happy news - This also means my fuel cock is working !)

One thing I learned about RE service is that I have to un-learn my Hero Honda lessons. I was there promptly in front of RE service at 8.15 am only to find that it opens after 9.30 ! After filling up the service form and getting my signature, I was told two mechanics are on leave so no service today. When I protested, I was offered the 'option' of taking back the bike and coming back on monday without signing their 'form' again. I pointed out its 1st service and the Odo reading is past 530km and he said no problem let it go 600, 700... doesnt matter . Anyway after much thought, I left the bike there and miraculously got it serviced by evening. Perhaps they didnt want me stand there and watch the servicing so made up the story of mechanics on leave. But overall the staff behaviour was polite and helpful.

While taking delivery after service in evening, The neural light was not glowing and I asked them why ?. A mechanic told me there is a neutral between every gear. A neutral between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4 and 4 and 5. But only between 1 and 2 the neutral light will glow. I fled from there as fast as I could praying to God I dont have to see them again before 2nd service at 3000km.

regards
san
Old 21st October 2010, 23:54   #474
Senior - BHPian

Wow. No wonder few Bulleteers depend on service stations for their Bulls.

These guys are superbly stupid! I am just shocked. The gears take their own sweet time in improving. I still encounter a false neutral or two (more so when I am wearing formal shoes). Just try to be firm with your foot movement.

Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:59   #475
BHPian

It seems my prayers for not going back to RE service till 2nd service is ignored by Almighty. Today morning I was cleaning Bullu when I noticed something wrong with the rear wheel cam. It is not a case of one or two notches misaligned between left and right but the left side cam was not touching the punch mark at all- It was turned and fitted some 5mm away from the punch mark - I mean there is a big gap between the cam teeth and the punch.

I remember Randhawa experiencing wobble when his C5 cam was slightly misaligned - 12 teeth on one side and 13 on other. Perhaps the slow speed riding saved me.

regards
san
Old 29th October 2010, 20:17   #476
BHPian

Default Synthetic oil upgrade

Achint,

Any progress with Synthetic oil upgrade ? If Motul 300V FL not available, what about Shell helix Ultra (5W40)? A C5 user in another forum says after changing to Shell helix : "better pick up , smoother gear shift, responsive electric start"

Shell Helix Ultra is recommended by Maruti guys here - I changed in my 800 and performance is good. Are 4 stroke Motorcycles much different ?

Gaurav
What mileage are you getting after first service ? I am getting just about 40kmpl (39.444 to be exact) with my kind of riding and feeling happy about it.

regards
san
Old 29th October 2010, 21:55   #477
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

I have finally changed the oil to Motul 300V. Found the Delhi dealer, he is very conveniently located.

The oil cost me Rs. 850/- per liter.

It took me some more effort in finding the TBTS oil filter. RE has been successful in cutting the fake spares market out of the UCE engine scene (at least for now).

Many thanks to Sanjeet for guiding me along the whole thing. There were a few nervous moments when I thought the clutch was slipping (owing to a different grain size, the oil is 15W40 as recommended). He convinced me it wasn't the case, and it was decided that the dumb mechanic had perhaps overfilled the oil. I had already suspected improper drainage of the old one.
Even though mineral and synthetic oils have no problems mixing with each other, I did not want the old half burnt oil mixing with the fresh synth.
The next morning I drained about a 100ml under cold conditions. The idea was to drain whatever debris might have been left and also to bring the level down to normal.

I now wish I had changed the oil at home. The fact that I did not have a tasla to drain it into, and no way to dispose it off... I was slightly hesitant.

I changed the air filter in the morning as well. I ran the bike around 60-70 kms after the oil change and it is definitely running cooler (might be due to dropping temperatures).

After reading up on it and consulting Sanjeet, I decided not to flush the engine.

I'll keep on updating the thread once I cover some more mileage. I am no longer in Delhi, so any updates will take place by November end.

The other issue that cropped up was a very tight clutch lever. It was hard enough to cause quite some discomfort in the wrist. On closer examination, I realised that the play was barely there. Loosened it up a bit in the morning, and things definitely felt better.

Sanjeet also mentioned half clutch gear shifting as an easier way to shift gears. I did try that once or twice and found it to be effective. Others can add their opinions about the same.

Cheers!
Old 30th October 2010, 17:46   #478
BHPian

HEY ACHINT

I'm planning to change my stock silencer (UCE Electra). What would you suggest - short bottle (like you have) or goldstar (by Sans. Inc.)? What i am looking for is a deep and meatier kinda thump not loud.

Please advice me bro. Only after you advice i'll plan to proceed with it.
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 20:22   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hi!

I have finally changed the oil to Motul 300V. Found the Delhi dealer, he is very conveniently located.

Many thanks to Sanjeet for guiding me along the whole thing. There were a few nervous moments when I thought the clutch was slipping (owing to a different grain size, the oil is 15W40 as recommended). He convinced me it wasn't the case, and it was decided that the dumb mechanic had perhaps overfilled the oil. I had already suspected improper drainage of the old one.
Sanjeet also mentioned half clutch gear shifting as an easier way to shift gears. I did try that once or twice and found it to be effective. Others can add their opinions about the same.

Cheers!
So the oil is 15W40 and not 5W50 ? Hows the gear shift quality after oil change? I think the oil change needs some time to settle in. When I changed my Car's to synthetic, initially I didnt feel much difference but then after running some 50km, things began to improve - engine became smoother and quieter.

I tried half clutch but it works only in Neutral to 1st gear and returning back to neutral from 2nd gear. Others require full clutch or false neutral happens. What I am doing (to avoid false neutral) is a 3 step process :
  1. Release clutch fully,
  2. then apply clutch fully and shift the gear firmly,
  3. then release the clutch fully.
Sometimes when coming to a stop before a redlight etc from 4th or 5th gear, there is no time to release the clutch fully after each gear down shift and this always leads to false neutrals, so now I release the clutch fully (take my fingers off the clutch) before each successive gear shifts.

I will again try the "half clutch shift" in other gears and tell you the results.
Old 31st October 2010, 14:52   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
So the oil is 15W40 and not 5W50 ? Hows the gear shift quality after oil change? I think the oil change needs some time to settle in. When I changed my Car's to synthetic, initially I didnt feel much difference but then after running some 50km, things began to improve - engine became smoother and quieter.

I tried half clutch but it works only in Neutral to 1st gear and returning back to neutral from 2nd gear. Others require full clutch or false neutral happens. What I am doing (to avoid false neutral) is a 3 step process :
  1. Release clutch fully,
  2. then apply clutch fully and shift the gear firmly,
  3. then release the clutch fully.
Sometimes when coming to a stop before a redlight etc from 4th or 5th gear, there is no time to release the clutch fully after each gear down shift and this always leads to false neutrals, so now I release the clutch fully (take my fingers off the clutch) before each successive gear shifts.

I will again try the "half clutch shift" in other gears and tell you the results.
Yup, I expect to see definite improvements once I pile on more miles.

Will keep updating the thread. The half clutch thing work only when you have the required play in the clutch cable. It works for me with 2mm-3mm play.

I bought a spare clutch cable, might change it if I find that the clutch is still hard.

Your false neutrals should have come down by ~40%, given that you are more accustomed to the Bull and have changed the oil once. Is it so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
HEY ACHINT

I'm planning to change my stock silencer (UCE Electra). What would you suggest - short bottle (like you have) or goldstar (by Sans. Inc.)? What i am looking for is a deep and meatier kinda thump not loud.

Please advice me bro. Only after you advice i'll plan to proceed with it.
Hi!

Well the short bottle does not give it a very meaty note. The Goldstar with the right proportion of glasswool should help. I haven't heard it on a UCE till now, but it could be an option. The Punjab silencer gives it a heavier note, but with a distinct metallic dong. You could try that one.
Please do update the thread with whatever you pick up and preferably a video as well.
If the Goldie works for you, I might shift to it once I get bored of the Shortie.
Cheers!