Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th December 2010, 14:00   #541
BHPian

Default Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Achint,

Is it 15W50 or 15W40? The Motul dealer here was quoting me the price and availability of 15W50. Anything wrong if I use 15W50?

Vinjosep,

Thanks for the offer. Do get in touch when you finalise the trip. By the way, write to motul@alsl.net giving your location and they will contact you with nearest dealer. Thats how I found it.

regards

san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 14:57   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Hi Achint

I am yet to start serious weekend rides partly because of No company for group riding and a wife who threatens to break my leg if I go out of town. . (Any one in Calicut listening ?)
regards
San
Quote:
Achint,

Is it 15W50 or 15W40? The Motul dealer here was quoting me the price and availability of 15W50. Anything wrong if I use 15W50?

Vinjosep,

Thanks for the offer. Do get in touch when you finalise the trip. B

regards

san
Hi San,
Happy to hear that you have finally decided to wear knee pads at home !
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 15:51   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Haha! I might pick up a pair this weekend. By the time I reach home, my hands are too stiff to move. :P

Are there other Bullet owners (tbhp members) in NCR? We should go for a ride.

PS: What exhaust did you finally pick up? And how many kms on the odo now?
Haven't come across any forum members but see many UCE owners (with weird mods) running around.
I put my plan on hold for the Sans Inc. Goldie. Its for 1500/-.I am a li'l tight ya know. Plus I haven't heard the exhaust note in person. First i need to hear it in person as the you tube vids don't do much justice. But I did hear the short bottle and even rode one. So for the time being I got a shortie on my bull (700/-) Definitely the exhaust note is meatier. Would love to hear your's though.

I have been wanting to ask you somethings :-

1.) is it absolutely necessary to upjet the carb after changing the exhaust cuz the back-firing has increased. It more so happens while de-accelerating. Does this effect the FE and harm the engine in the long run? The mech from whom I got the goldie installed said no need for touching the carb. I am sure that even he wasn't sure what i was talking about.

2.) while on my last service (3rd), the engine oil was to be changed so the RE guy used SHELL HELIX HX5 15W-40 (i know it should have been MOTUL 3000 15W-50 as mentioned in the manual).When i asked him why not MOTUL he said ,'sir, don't worry. we have used it on many classics n UCE electras and there have been no complaints.Its just the change of brand name.'
And later I saw that these guys do not follow the RE Service Manual.To my horror they were telling a CL350 owner not to get the oil changed on his first service at 500 kms. Despite the owner persisting that its written in the manual the mech said,'sir, kitab mein to likha rehne do, main jo keh raha hoon use mano. hum to roj ye kaam karte hain.company waale to likhte rehte hain.' I took the owner aside and advised him to not listen to these idiots and get the bike serviced elsewhere. One thing I noticed that after putting this oil a slight amount of backfiring (the phat-phat sound) had started (i had the stock exhaust on) and after shifting to goldie a few days back it has increased. I even smacked the mech who changed the oil.
Dunno if thats the main reason as I have also changed my service station and the mech here said it is most probably due to that reason only. Will be getting the oil changed in the up coming 4th service. On the odo I have done 8000 kms till now.

Lets meet up man. Dying to ride with a fella thumper and talk bullets. How about this weekend ? Watsay? If you wanna fix up something I can PM you my no. Lets make this ride happen.Maybe a short trip of 100 to 150 kms or even more near delhi, noida. Let me know. Will be waiting to hear from you.

Take care and better get those gloves fast and maybe even a buff. If you want I can help you with finding good and inexpensive pair. I got mine for 200 bucks.

Last edited by BIG SARAN : 9th December 2010 at 16:05.
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 16:08   #544
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys

@San

Sincere apologies... it is 15w50 only. My mistake! Was hiding from the boss while typing that one :P

@BigSaran

It is not necessary to upjet the carb. Upjetting the carb would help increase the top whack if you want.
Do get your carb tuned though. The backfiring is probably your Bull running slightly lean. So get the mixture slightly richer. You can check your plug's color before you tune it.
For the first time in nearly 7 months, my Bull backfired while rolling down a flyover. Will go home, check the plugs and tune the carb. I kind of don't like weird popping sounds from my Bull. :P

As far as the oil is concerned... these are multigrade oils. They are able to retain different viscosity grades at low and high temperatures. As your high temp viscosity will be equivalent to a 40 graded single-grade oil when it should be equal to a 50 grade one, it won't be running at the optimum.

Drain the oil and get it refilled. If you want a cheaper solution, go for the 5100 or else you can pick up the 300v.

I am totally game for a ride! I have been looking for people for quite some time now. A nice early morning ride to Manesar or some place. But I am slightly held up this Sunday... I'll drop you a pm with my number. Lets work a date out soon.

Cheers guys!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 16:22   #545
BHPian

hey Achint. sent u a PM.
Old 10th December 2010, 23:09   #546
Senior - BHPian

Okay people! I have hit 6000 kms. If I keep taking the bull to office for the whole next month, I should be able to clock 2000 kms more.

Hurray! :P

I bought a pair of gloves. Cramster's basic ones. Seems like a big mistake. They are a proper pain. Will try and get a size smaller (bought an XL, should have picked up an L).

After all the discussion on bells tolling on Sanjeet's thread, all the sounds seem to have returned. It has actually been a characteristic of the winters.

San, what sort of temperatures have you guys got down south?
Old 11th December 2010, 01:45   #547
BHPian

Good for you but did you not try on the gloves beforehand or did you order online? Damn!! its getting colder by the day up here

Good to see that you are munchin' up the miles again.

I just crossed 8000 kms too. And don't forget the ride bro.

Take care.
Old 11th December 2010, 10:47   #548
BHPian

Quote:

San, what sort of temperatures have you guys got down south?
Congrats on the 6000 runs. Keep batting !

Here its the post-monsoon, pre-summer season. Temp ranges from 24 deg at midnight to 30 mid day. cool nights, misty dawns, occassional light showers in the evening - The best season to travel.

regards
san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 13:19   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Good for you but did you not try on the gloves beforehand or did you order online? Damn!! its getting colder by the day up here

Good to see that you are munchin' up the miles again.

I just crossed 8000 kms too. And don't forget the ride bro.

Take care.
Yup! The ride is definitely on! Would tomorrow morning suit you? I'll call you in the afternoon once I know it can be done at my end.
I did try the gloves, but not on the bike. Basically they bunch up in the palm. Wish there were better gloves around. :(

Quote:
Congrats on the 6000 runs. Keep batting !

Here its the post-monsoon, pre-summer season. Temp ranges from 24 deg at midnight to 30 mid day. cool nights, misty dawns, occassional light showers in the evening - The best season to travel.

regards
san
Sahi! Ride more man! I will be giving my Bull a shampoo today.
Old 11th December 2010, 17:03   #550
BHPian

Really Sorry bro. Can't go tomorrow. Coming Saturday or Sunday is a go-go.Pakka.

HOWEVER,
If my schedule changes I'll let you know today by night. If you are game for tomorrow then I may be able to adjust here n there. But you let me know whats your status quo as you can see I am dying to do a ride.

Will be waiting for an update from you.

Last edited by BIG SARAN : 11th December 2010 at 17:10.
Old 11th December 2010, 17:06   #551
Senior - BHPian

No issues. We'll coordinate over phone. Lets try for next weekend.

Cheers bro!
Old 11th December 2010, 17:19   #552
BHPian

Hmmmm... Ok. I'll give you a call at 8 tonight. By then i'll finalize my program about tomorrow.

Take care.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:14   #553
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a pair of gloves. Cramster's basic ones. Seems like a big mistake. They are a proper pain. Will try and get a size smaller (bought an XL, should have picked up an L).
which ones? MX3 or Twister?

am planning to get a pair as the ones i got (got them from leatherup.com) are a tad smaller for my size.

you might want to look up that site. it's got great stuff.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 16:34   #554
Senior - BHPian

Had bought the MX3 first. Went yesterday and changed then for 'L' size Twisters.

I don't like these a lot either. I am guessing they take some time breaking in.

How much will the shipping come out to for a pair of gloves? I hope you are buying some more stuff as well!

Dilli trip ka kya hua?
Old 13th December 2010, 16:37   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Had bought the MX3 first. Went yesterday and changed then for 'L' size Twisters.

I don't like these a lot either. I am guessing they take some time breaking in.

How much will the shipping come out to for a pair of gloves? I hope you are buying some more stuff as well!

Dilli trip ka kya hua?
shipping costs a bomb though for the christmas season, shipping in US is free. searching for somebody in the US who can bring stuff across.

i already have my gloves. got them 6 months back. only to find that they are smaller that what i had asked for

got my jacket and gloves from them. gloves are just lying around.

planning to order a new pair for the feb ride. not too sure.

dilli in Feb.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote